Gransnet forums

AIBU

Moaning Leavers, an explanation

(258 Posts)
Bridgeit Sat 04-Aug-18 08:28:37

Given the length of the very informative cut & paste articles posted on this site ref Leaving EU,isn’t it time leavers stopped saying ‘just get on with it’ surely if the cut & pastes are anything to go by, it is not rocket science to see that it is ,as many already realised a nigh on impossible task to unravel at anything like the speed leavers expect.. please get a reality check & let the Lady get on with finishing what has been started without criticising her handling of the negotiations. Seems some just love a scapegoat .

Jalima1108 Tue 28-Aug-18 19:45:07

Sorry, South-West?

varian Tue 28-Aug-18 20:11:03

Bath has always been in the South-west of England. Where else would it be? In the last GE the good folk of Bath had the good sense to elect Wera Hobhouse as their Liberal Democrat MP.

Jalima1108 Wed 29-Aug-18 09:14:23

The West Country.
The South West was always Devon and Cornwall.

West Country MP Wera Hobhouse says …..
West Country cider ….
Summer Solstice in the West Country ….

I'll leave you to Pointless.

varian Wed 29-Aug-18 09:22:28

The South West surely includes Somerset !

Bridgeit Wed 29-Aug-18 09:26:35

Somerset & Avon
South (West )Devon
Cornwall .....

Bridgeit Wed 29-Aug-18 09:29:55

I think it is divided differently when it comes to Voting.
I was being geographical.

Grandad1943 Wed 29-Aug-18 11:29:02

Bridgeit, Avon as a county has not existed for a considerable number of years..

Many consider a line from Gloucester to Weymouth as the southwest region. However, I believe most tourists think they are entering the Southwest when they cross the Avon bridge at Bristol.

You know Bridgeit, the one that always has the huge traffic jams every summer weekend. Perhaps many forum members have sat in those jams thinking "well, I have arrived in the Southwest". grin

varian Wed 29-Aug-18 11:39:11

A friend who used to drive from London back to her home in Cornwall said she felt she was back in the South West when she passed Stonehenge.

Bridgeit Wed 29-Aug-18 14:20:24

Not sure how clear this is

Bridgeit Wed 29-Aug-18 15:43:50

Map

Grandad1943 Wed 29-Aug-18 19:38:45

Bridgeit, I think this is one of those enjoyable ambling debates that everyone likes putting their six penneth into.

My personal take as someone born in Devon, raised in Bristol and since then has spent the last forty years living in North Somerset, I feel the terminology used by locals is somewhat different to those living outside the region in making named reference to the area.

Persons such as myself in the main have always referred to the area to the west of Gloucester as "the West Country" as that is where the Severn estuary begins splitting the west of England peninsula away from South Wales.

However, as I stated earlier, many holidaymakers travelling down the M5 and M4 motorways begin to believe they are in the "Southwest" as they pass over the M5 Avon Bridge South of Bristol and see the Severn estuary from there and also from the following "split level" section of the motorway. From that section on a clear day you can see Exmoor in the distance especially if they are sat in one of our famous M5 traffic jams.

Therefore I believe there are two terminologies used for the area to the west of a line from Gloucester to Weymouth, one being "The West Country" with the other being "The Southwest Region".

I prefer the West Country, but if you are one of the ever growing numbers of holidaymakers down here, you pays your money and you takes your choice. hmm

Grandad1943 Wed 29-Aug-18 19:40:39

Apologies, that should read "north of Bristol" above.

Bridgeit Wed 29-Aug-18 20:01:04

Grandad, longs us all know where us be when we get ome in doors us ull be aw reet.
??

Bridgeit Wed 29-Aug-18 20:02:22

Course that be only till us leave that EU thingy,

Grandad1943 Wed 29-Aug-18 20:03:50

Really good one Bridgeit smile

Bridgeit Wed 29-Aug-18 20:04:53

Thank you twanun bad.
I have has a lot of practice since birth?

Jalima1108 Wed 29-Aug-18 20:06:08

Therefore I believe there are two terminologies used for the area to the west of a line from Gloucester to Weymouth, one being "The West Country" with the other being "The Southwest Region"

Perhaps us from Devon only believe Devon and Cornwall to be the true South-West. All them others is West Country.

Bath is nearly London imo.

Jalima1108 Wed 29-Aug-18 20:06:41

as for Swindon, that's practically in Kent.

Bridgeit Wed 29-Aug-18 20:19:33

Zactly, Jalima,past zwindon half 2 watch thm ps &qs

Posters note, No Devonshires were hurt during the course of these posts?

Grandad1943 Wed 29-Aug-18 20:56:24

Well being Bristolian, if dees fink day Zwidan is in Kent den Manchester mus be in dee Norf East.

Sumut up wid dee geogrofy in this fred. confused

Bridgeit Wed 29-Aug-18 21:05:27

Prahps that’s what av cufused the Rufferndum.?
No one knows where Britain is going to end when the EU is apart !
Ok I will behave now, but good to have a little fun.

Grandad1943 Wed 29-Aug-18 21:19:33

Thoroughly enjoyed Bridgeit on a day off and talking about my forthcoming retirement and our 50th wedding anniversary with my wife.

Beginning to wind down and really kook forward to those events.

Carol my other half also had a good laugh at the posts on here today. She may even join GN at some point, but she is a committed whatsApper at the moment.

Bridgeit Wed 29-Aug-18 21:33:49

Thanks Grandad ,It’s good to have a bit of lightheartedness .Whatappers most welcome too?

Jalima1108 Wed 29-Aug-18 23:18:10

Well, we dumped some of Gloucestershire in the bin today, sat nav had us going round in flippin circles.
So if you find it missing, it wuz uz.

Bridgeit Thu 30-Aug-18 08:24:05

You’ve got to be careful near a Shire. Jalima, you could end up in Middle Earth England with Frodo & Sam?