Gransnet forums

AIBU

TV Advertising

(103 Posts)
Joelsnan Sun 05-Aug-18 15:59:03

I know i am becoming grumpy and pedantic in my old age but...

Quick quid Ad. Where they havent enough money to pay for a repair.
Why dont we see banks advertising, encouraging people to save to pay for unexpected repairs therefore incurring no high loan interest rates.

Tena Pads and similar. Why are there not similar ads for men?

I have more but will keep it brief

Are advertising execs so stupid or are we this gullible?

sodapop Mon 06-Aug-18 20:42:24

Yes I've noticed that too Jalima1108 and they look incredibly attractive,

Jalima1108 Mon 06-Aug-18 20:33:46

The People using the stair lift in the ads look as fit as a fiddle.
Those people stepping into the step-in baths in the adverts in the paper always look very young and fit.

Jalima1108 Mon 06-Aug-18 20:32:39

But on the op topic, if I ever do get a holiday the woman singing has made sure I will never ever go with Tui.
grin
DH refuses to go with Thomas Crook Cook since they diddled us! But that's not because of an advert.

Jaycee5 Mon 06-Aug-18 20:13:18

I agree that that one is annoying. The one when the boiler breaks and they 'cannot wait until pay day'. Why not? It is not pleasant to not have hot water but it is not as if they have no water at all or no means to heat enough for a good wash and to avoid a couple of weeks inconvenience they are going to go to a company which is not that many steps removed from a loan shark.
I can understand needing to get a car fixed because people often have no other way to get to work but the cheerfulness that a 'solution' has been found when it is a minor problem is not a good message.

dorcas1950 Mon 06-Aug-18 19:31:29

Some ads are clever and entertaining. My favourites are the dancing action men, the meerkats, the McDonald coffee and Specsavers.

Marieeliz Mon 06-Aug-18 18:45:02

My dog goes mad when the Specsavers shearing dog instead of sheep comes on. He knows the music introduction.

Deedaa Mon 06-Aug-18 18:21:41

And the Aldi ad with the little deaf girl! "Don't talk with your mouth full" grin

Deedaa Mon 06-Aug-18 18:18:21

There was a news item recently about the number of men who are left incontinent after prostate operations. It had never struck me that they have awful problems with disposal. Of course men's toilets don't have bins like ours do, and you can't really stuff used pads into your suit pockets.

I love the dancing action men and the Specsavers ad with the collie being shorn.

nellgwin Mon 06-Aug-18 17:52:04

Little boy asking for Tampax, Oh dear, even made Me Grumps laugh

petra Mon 06-Aug-18 17:38:54

Am I the only one that giggles at the Money Supermarket ad with the dancing gay plastic figures.
The grandchildren do a wonderful copy when it's on.
I've probably offended now by laughing at gay plastic models. Heh ho.

Hagridnan Mon 06-Aug-18 16:25:58

GreenGran78, no apologies necessary, I was being grumpy and over sensitive.

joot Mon 06-Aug-18 16:16:29

I would like to know what has an orangutan got to do with electricity suppliers ?
Why can't that boy who might have to smell wash in cold water?
Why are holidays usually for foreign travel when we live in such a lovely country?
Why can't perfumes be described as to their smell rather than somebody's life style?
So many bad adverts .
But would our tv license be more expensive without them?

GreenGran78 Mon 06-Aug-18 15:55:15

Hagridnan I’m so sorry to have upset you. Please forgive me. That’s the last thing I would want to do. I DID make a point of saying that my comments didn’t apply to everyone, and I also know people who have been in bad circumstances, as you have. I greatly admire anyone who fights their way through hard times. I remember, soon after we bought our first house, how the mortgage rates rocketed to terrifying heights, and the struggle we had to keep afloat.
What I was trying to say was that most people, if they make the effort, can manage to save a little money, at least, for emergencies. These days, in particular, so many waste their spare cash. Since buying on credit and loans became so popular saving seems to be going out of fashion, especially as interest rates are so poor.
I hope that times are better for you now. Being widowed so young, and with a young family, must have been a nightmarish experience.

Jane43 Mon 06-Aug-18 15:48:06

The People using the stair lift in the ads look as fit as a fiddle.

Like Gerry86 we said the other day that the ad breaks are getting more frequent. It’s getting like America; we used to spend a lot of time there and in the end we gave up switching the tv on and used to watch DVDs, read or listen to music instead because of the interminable ads.

Oldwoman70 Mon 06-Aug-18 15:47:08

I don't watch much TV - prefer to put on a DVD when I settle down for the evening - but the ads that annoy me are the ones for online bingo - they make it seem like people get together camping and partying and having fun playing bingo when in fact people are usually sitting alone in their homes spending money.

Like others I don't like the loan ads, it should be clearly stated exactly how much someone would be paying back (some people don't understand what APR is)

gerry86 Mon 06-Aug-18 15:30:10

Like GrannyGravy13 we tend to record most of the programmes we want to watch then we can skip through the adverts. Is it my imagination but are the adverts breaks getting longer and longer?

Hagridnan Mon 06-Aug-18 15:29:13

Indeed Jalima I was quite uncharacteristically grumpy in my post, apologies,perhaps I should stick with lurking, I got through the toughest bits whistling “always look on the bright side of life “ it’s pretty much my motto and much more my character.

But on the op topic, if I ever do get a holiday the woman singing has made sure I will never ever go with Tui.

Gma29 Mon 06-Aug-18 15:27:51

I’m (mildly) amused by the fact that advertisers seem to think if you ever swith you tv on in the afternoon, you are in urgent need of a funeral plan, a chair that will tilt to help you stand up, or a stair lift!

123kitty Mon 06-Aug-18 15:15:03

Does anybody manage to put 1 scoop of special powder in with their wash as advertised and all the grass or blood stains on the clothes just disappear?

Hm999 Mon 06-Aug-18 15:13:10

I'm horrified by the rates of interest charged.

Jalima1108 Mon 06-Aug-18 15:08:08

I will I think go away from Gransnet forever as I firmly expect to be beaten and vilified.

I don't see why you should do that Hagridnan, as no-one has done that.

GreenGran's post was in relation to her own circumstances; your post was after that, so GreenGran was not responding to you in any way.
Your circumstances sound quite different and it must have been extremely difficult for you. I hope everything is better now.

I did post above about well-known (and rich) celebrities advertising dubious financial schemes aimed at the no-very-well-off, which is something that really annoys me.

Hagridnan Mon 06-Aug-18 14:49:12

Paddyann, well said absolutely agree with you, I have been that family.
GreenGran78 you not only sound smug but condescending and patronising.
I was widowed aged 29. I had 4 children under 5.
I worked 3 jobs to keep us, the money ran out invariably before the month did, often I didn’t eat to ensure my children did, my clothes were all from charity shops, no holidays and any treats were all from my parents. So I am sorry you don’t believe anyone can’t manage to put something away for a nest egg but take it from me many, many of us haven’t the means try walking a mile in our shoes next time you feel like being so judgemental.

Sorry for the rant, this is a very emotive subject for me. I will I think go away from Gransnet forever as I firmly expect to be beaten and vilified.

Daddima Mon 06-Aug-18 14:16:15

This is, without a doubt, the worst advert ever.

youtu.be/C9JEc8yAiNw

Billybob4491 Mon 06-Aug-18 13:37:10

Someone's knocking at the door, someone's ringing the bell, think its an advert for postcode lottery, drives me mad, GO AWAY.

Barmeyoldbat Mon 06-Aug-18 13:24:09

I use the ads as a chance to make a drink, go to the loo, or make a quick phone call so I don't take much notice of them. Yes Tena pads I need them at times not because I don't do pelvic floor exercises but an infection in that region throws all your muscle will power out the door.