Gransnet forums

AIBU

My husband says I’m a tight wad!

(103 Posts)
Mamissimo Mon 06-Aug-18 12:37:02

I am lucky enough to be able to afford to have my haircut by a partner at the local award winning salon. They charge London prices and I go every 7 weeks for a cut which takes about an hour. As my stylist is a partner I don’t tip - am I being unreasonable?

Baggs Mon 06-Aug-18 21:09:03

Do barbers get tips?

Baggs Mon 06-Aug-18 21:10:27

sodapop, I'm thinking along the same lines as you, I think. If someone's on the minimum wage themselves, it's a bit rich (no pun intended) to expect them to tip others.

sodapop Mon 06-Aug-18 21:24:45

I know Baggs the tipping thing really bugs me, why should some groups of workers expect additional payment for doing their job. It's beyond me.

Chewbacca Mon 06-Aug-18 21:29:18

My hairdresser has just set up on her own doing mobile appointments. She does a good job at half the salon price, is always punctual, tells me all the local gossip and is worth the 5% tip I give her.

janeainsworth Mon 06-Aug-18 21:45:34

Unfortunately for hairdressers and anyone else who traditionally has been given a tip, HMRC expects them to declare them and pay tax on them
www.gov.uk/tips-at-work/tips-and-tax
A hairdresser who didn’t declare any tips at all might well raise the suspicions of the Imspectorate.

lemongrove Mon 06-Aug-18 22:58:44

Baggs....Mr L always tips his barber.

SpringyChicken Mon 06-Aug-18 23:24:03

I use a mobile hairdresser. We were in the same class at infant and junior school so it's like an old friend coming round. I have said I would prefer that she charge me extra than leaving it to me to tip her as it feels awkward.

hopeful1 Tue 07-Aug-18 09:57:38

I used to tip my hairdresser until she started to tell me about her exotic holidays and the latest flash top of the range car. I now dye my own hair and randomly visit whichever hairdresser who offers the best deal for a cut. Yes, I do tip when the cut is good but I now only need to visit once every 3 months rather than every 4 weeks.

basketlady Tue 07-Aug-18 10:01:37

The first time I visited my hairdresser, he returned the tip I gave him saying as a partner in the salon, there was no need! But I always give the shampooer something.

greeneyes57 Tue 07-Aug-18 10:02:24

Hi everyone, I have a gorgeous 5 yr old grandson that I see once a fortnight as his mother my daughter is separated from his father so they have him one week on, one week off. I don't see him when he is with his father as he won't allow it. My problem is my daughter she is quite mean to me. She treats me like I'm an idiot and has little respect. She has called me many nasty names in the past. I love my grandson and could not imagine not seeing him so I didn't do or say anything. But I feel very down and stressed after seeing her. Any advice will be appreciated.

minxie Tue 07-Aug-18 10:04:03

I don’t get tips in my job and I’m on minimum wage. So I don’t tip.

ReadyMeals Tue 07-Aug-18 10:12:09

I was taught it was bad manners to offer a tip to the owner of a business, or to a fully trained professional as it's good manners to treat them as your equal. I was told you only tip the juniors.

Carolpaint Tue 07-Aug-18 10:16:09

Well a 10% tip is appropriate owner, partner whatever, it is the service and skill, knowledge and experience you are rewarding. If the hair is not right do not tip. It is up to the stylist to share if there is a shampoo assistant, but you could mention that it is to be shared.

anitamp1 Tue 07-Aug-18 10:20:15

My hairdresser is the salon owner and the prices are high. I dont feel it necessary to tip. I have always tipped if a member of staff did my hair.

Grampie Tue 07-Aug-18 10:25:51

I’m blessed with a wife who doesn’t like shopping much. 35 minutes max which is just enough time for our weekly food shop.

My wife says she pays her hairdresser enough already not to tip but my bill is about half her’s so I tip my barber £1 or £2 depending on how well they remember where my parting goes. Some barbers are very unobservant.

We’ve yet to be blessed with a hairdresser who makes house calls.

starbox Tue 07-Aug-18 10:26:35

No, you're absolutely right: they charge 'London prices' for a start (you're not getting a cheap deal as a favour) AND the stylist is a partner (so getting share of takings) not a minimum wage employee. If you go regularly, you're contributing to their income. And really I would EXPECT an owner of a high price hairdressers to give me a good haircut - theyre not doing you a favour, it's what they're paid for. I was a lifetime retail worker, DIL works in home for autistic people (often going beyond minimum service, but never given a tip), I don't really believe in tipping. In poor countries it's different, but here everyone's on min wage (many supplemented with state benefits). Sure, if a taxi driver carries my luggage, if a restaurant cooks me a special meal...but not if I just get what I paid for anyway. Also opposed to tipping tour guides on coach tours (unless they have to help you through an emergency) - holiday's dear enough and British guides earn much more than me to begin with!!

sodapop Tue 07-Aug-18 10:36:28

I totally agree Starbox

glammanana Tue 07-Aug-18 10:42:16

I only have my hair trimmed about every 4/5mths and that is just a trim across the bottom and a tidy up of my fringe I never have it styled as I keep it long all the time,I will give a 10% tip to whoever does the cut.The stylists are all self employed girls so it boosts their income.
I use the same salon for my nails and spray tan when I have them done but I don't tip the girls who do the treatments they are employed by the salon so they get paid directly by the salon.

maryhoffman37 Tue 07-Aug-18 10:43:24

I tip my hairdresser £10 every time she does a cut and colour (every six weeks). Did it yesterday. She's not a partner. I don't tip the shampooer.

Gma29 Tue 07-Aug-18 10:44:17

I’m afraid I don’t tip either. I do usually give a card with a small £ gift at Christmas, but not otherwise. It’s her own business she runs with another hairdresser, so I’ve never felt it appropriate or necessary to tip each time.

Nannyme Tue 07-Aug-18 10:45:41

Tipping hairdressers is such a minefield. The hairdressers I go to every 6 weeks is above the shop, when you are ready to go they walk you downstairs to the till and wait, I assume for a tip, I Do not tip as it costs a fortune anyway but I always feel embarassed. Then as soon as you walk out of the door your mobile buzzes asking for feedback - time I changed hairdressers I think.

Kim19 Tue 07-Aug-18 11:01:02

I'd always say do what feels right to you and makes you feel happy. Sometimes I tip and sometimes not. This can be from varying reasons from the sublime to the cor blimey.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 07-Aug-18 11:08:27

I thought it was etiquette NOT to tip an owner of a business. However I've never used a hairdresser that's posh enough to have lots of staff.

keriku Tue 07-Aug-18 11:09:38

Prices vary drastically depending where you live. Last night in Edinburgh they were offering a Festival Blow Dry at £25.95. I can get my hair cut & blow dried for that! I always leave a tip if I get my hair or nails done, I know most of the girls save them up for something special!

kwest Tue 07-Aug-18 11:39:14

I tipped my lovely hairdresser for a long time and then when my husband , working although long past retirement age, had an accident and was unable to work for a while, I explained that I could no longer afford the tip, it was no reflection upon her. She was really nice about it and although he is back working reduced hours with a reduced income I have decided that I truly cannot afford the tip in an effort to keep our living costs down.