Gransnet forums

AIBU

1st class,Rights,Equalit y,& Discrimination?

(109 Posts)
Bridgeit Sat 11-Aug-18 08:33:18

The terms Equality & Equal Rights got me thinking, that in reality there is no such thing .
They are very much misused terms rarely is anything Equal,
We all have the right to be treated without Discrimination, yet we still have
1st Class travel options
A choice of best seats at venues
Premier hotel rooms
Exclusive resorts
Private medical procedures etc etc
So what is true Equality ?

SparklyGrandma Tue 14-Aug-18 00:32:55

I had an difficult beginning BUT two grandmothers who had every faith in me and loved me. I have worked throughout my life and on checking my pension situation, will have 47 years of continuous contributions when I retire in 3 years.

One of my lovely grandmothers worked from age 12 to age 66, but because she only paid a married woman’s NI contributions, had a minimal pension.

I always try and tell friends, make sure your pension is covered. Equality is living well beyond 66.

Blinko Tue 14-Aug-18 08:44:27

How true, Sparkly, how true!

sodapop Tue 14-Aug-18 08:50:16

We could start a nature v nurture debate Diana I'm not sure I agree with your views on heredity.

mcem Tue 14-Aug-18 11:05:53

As mum to 2 adopted daughters I'm with you sodapop.
I 'd also question diana 's very simplistic view. One can't draw a general conclusion from one example.

annep Tue 14-Aug-18 12:50:06

True equality is everyone being equal at the start. in every way. what people do after is up to them. But unless everyone thought the same ( which would make for a very stranger world ) we would end up unequal. with the same problems we have now.

starbox Wed 15-Aug-18 08:18:19

Well we'll never have equality -it boils down PARTLY to birth (if you send your son to Eton, he's going to do better than if he'd attended local comp). But also to LUCK (that working class girl who just happened to marry into money. Or had the looks to be a top model; brains to get a career.) And EFFORT (are you going to push yourself through uni or settle for an easy job?) And EVENTS (that guy was doing well till his wife divorced him and took all the property.) People whinge about private education etc but no different to fact one person gets to wear designer clothes & one's in charity shop stuff.) I think we have a fair chance to get on in UK: we live on council estate, my eldest was at low-ranking secondary mod but pushed himself & age 29 is buying flat in London. It's less about poverty than family encouragement - libraries, museums all free. But I think we also have to factor in that of those in low calibre, low paid jobs, a fair proportion (not all) WILL be less intelligent folk; and their genes and attitudes will necessarily be passed on to their kids. And that can't be changed by government handouts as it's a fact of life.

Magrithea Wed 15-Aug-18 10:18:49

Bridgeit I think you're confusing the ability to pay for better seats, etc with the right to be treated on an equal footing or be paid the same wage as an equivalent person.

There's nothing wrong with paying if you can but if youare doing the same job and a colleague is paid more then that's inequality.

Bridgeit Wed 15-Aug-18 15:49:14

No I’m not confusing it,I am saying that with the best will in the world all things cannot be equal.
We may strive to make life better for everyone, but equal it is not.