Gransnet forums

AIBU

Channel 5

(70 Posts)
etheltbags1 Sun 26-Aug-18 09:45:13

Grrrr am i being unreasonable in august, to resent kids adverts containing xmas. I switched on today for the kids stuff on c5 and saw a santa in the snow advertising trips to lapland followed by the usual toys etc. Dgd who has been staying over immediately shouted, i want i want. She will now pester her parents. This is disgusting. Xmas ads should start end of october at the latest. Grrrr

MissAdventure Sun 26-Aug-18 09:56:54

Its ridiculous!
I think it should be illegal until November.

Bellanonna Sun 26-Aug-18 09:59:48

Or at the earliest, Ethel? Even then that’s too early. I do agree with you and I hate this unseasonal advertising although I suppose holidays in Lapland need to be booked well beforehand.

inishowen Sun 26-Aug-18 10:18:45

When they're very young I only let them watch CBeebies. No ads!

Rosina Sun 26-Aug-18 10:19:56

I think it's depressing that stores have 'Back to School' banners and new uniform on display before schools have broken up for the summer holidays. Yes, unseasonal advertising seems to add to the pressure of life to race ever onwards, spending money !

labazs Sun 26-Aug-18 10:21:32

goodness me i was only thinking its not officially autumn yet as well next thing will be halloween and thats got too commercial xmas already streuth

jenni123 Sun 26-Aug-18 10:26:12

I absolutely agree, I have friends who wind me up in facebook as they know I always say Christmas ads etc should not be shown until november or late Oct, so they send me things like 'only 174 days to christmas', i just delete it as it really makes me angry. I support several charities and last week I had a Christmas catalogue from dogs Trust, I didn't even open it, it went straight in the bin and I emailed them and said that if this is the way they work I will stop my donations. OK had they sent this in October I would have looked at it but not in August.

Willow10 Sun 26-Aug-18 10:28:06

It drives me nuts too. Christmas cards have been in the shops since the first week in August. When you are a child, Christmas takes forever to arrive. Poor kids have it hanging over them for months now. Far from looking forward to it, I hate the very mention of it these days!

silverlining48 Sun 26-Aug-18 10:28:50

I was in Bluewater in Next looking for a summer top but all they have is winter stuff, I asked and was told that the summer things came in in February ..... so in August when it’s hot outside we can only buy winter things, and in February when it’s cold, we can only get summer things, brrr. I know it’s how fashion works but isn’t it crazy?

Nannan2 Sun 26-Aug-18 10:30:58

Yes popped in cardshop for a birthday card other day but was faced with tons of christmas cards as nearest display as soon as i got through door!

Skweek1 Sun 26-Aug-18 10:43:31

Oh lord, I suppose that means that any day now they'll be advertising my new sofa sale (order NOW to be delivered in time for Christmas and don't pay a penny until it's fallen to bits on January 1st). It's no time since I looked round and it was January 2018 and it's nearly DS's birthday already (mid-September). Better start asking family w)at they want on their Christmas lists. And then Halloween and Bonfire night. If I hear once more on the radio that tomorrow is the last Public Holiday before Christmas I will scream!!!

JacquiG Sun 26-Aug-18 10:47:33

Perhaps teach young things not to say or shout 'I want I want'. It's the height of bad manners. It is possible, and it needs to be trained in from an early age. It can be done without fuss or unpleasantness, just persistence and dealing with the odd tantrum.

As to original point of the comment - totally agree and end of November is early enough for me.

nanasam Sun 26-Aug-18 10:51:19

Went into a shop a couple of weeks ago to be greeted by Bing Crosby's White Christmas which just happens to be my most hated song of all time. My family play it just to wind me up but there's just no escape - I have to put up with it every B****y year! I'd like to have it played at my funeral in the hope it dies with me. As you say, it's far too early for anything Christmas!

Aepgirl Sun 26-Aug-18 10:51:41

I don't think it's 'disgusting', but I absolutely refuse to buy anything connected to Christmas until the end of November. I was in a local charity shop in September last year and they were putting their Christmas cards on display. When I told the Manager how I hated this he said so did he, but he was instructed by the charity to put them out. Their excuse was that people send cards overseas - do they really take 4 months to reach their destination!

labazs Sun 26-Aug-18 10:56:35

if cards took four months to reach their destination i think i wouldnt bother!

Legs55 Sun 26-Aug-18 10:56:57

With regard to school uniform being in the shops before they finish for summer holiday, my DD pointed out when I remarked about this, if you're on a tight budget you need to spread the cost.

Christmas cards & charity catalogues have always been around since August, either use the extra time to spread the cost or ignore itgrin

Granny3Rose Sun 26-Aug-18 11:06:10

I would have been disgusted by it too etheltbags1. Several years ago I felt I could no longer stand the pressure being put on me everywhere, for months before Christmas. So I decided to give up Christmas completely. I asked everybody who would normally send me a card or present not to because I would no longer be doing that. I told my family I would no longer be 'doing Christmas day' and this would free them up to concentrate on their own Christmas days with their children or other relatives. And we would treat Christmas day as any other day. It has been blissful doing that - no more headaches in the run up to Christmas. As for the grandchildren - I do a special day just for them in the summer instead - where we have developed our own little fun 'traditions' that we have each time, and they love it.

paddyann Sun 26-Aug-18 11:18:13

AgreedLegs55 I always do my christmas shopping early ,in fact I only have the GC's presents to get now.I have an extended family of 25 people to buy for so I like to collect through the year .Cards and paper I buy in the January sales.Its just common sense when you've a lot to get .If it annoys you avoid the places who advertise early.simple .
I leave the GC until later because they change their minds constantly although they are always happy with what they get .

millymouge Sun 26-Aug-18 11:20:21

When I went into a well known card shop a couple of years ago to get 18th birthday card for a GC who has a birthday on the 28 December I couldn't find one anywhere. When I asked an assistant I was told they didn't normally have them as people didn't seem to buy birthday cards at Christmas!!! I did say I wondered what Christmas was all about then, but was met with a blank stare.

luzdoh Sun 26-Aug-18 11:21:50

Granny3Rose I love you! I confess was about to write, (but told myself it would be selfish, so didn't); With luck, I'll be dead by Christmas.

Then I read your post!

Thank you!!!

Every year, from August Bank Hol, I start to feel sick worrying about Christmas. Every Christmas I get ill, don't finish my cards, can't cope with the ones I receive, end up lying down shivering and being sick. I usually make it to my daughter where the others come and I see the lovely Grand Children. But I feel so much as if I'm not part of it and last year I felt as if I wasn't wanted. I tried to join in and be jolly. I genuinely admired my daughter's cooking and all the things they did, but I felt like an awkward lump on the edge that they would be better off without.

Here we are, August Bank Holiday. It's raining, (Buddy Holly come back)

You, Granny3Rose, are a genius! And very brave actually!

Mycatisahacker Sun 26-Aug-18 11:39:13

Blimey GrannyRose that’s a really brave step.

We have up presents for our siblings and their kids and grandkids a few years ago. We all were relived. We now only buy for out kids and grandkids and it’s money. Easy Peasy. We don’t do cards at all. Complete waste of time and money.

Agree Christmas stays in Dec. On another tack I detest the smug ones who inform me in October that all their presents are brought and wrapped as if they are somehow cleverer than the rest of us. I always say ‘why?’ smile

Mycatisahacker Sun 26-Aug-18 11:40:17

Luzdoh

I am sure they didn’t feel like that about you flowers

Granny3Rose Sun 26-Aug-18 11:54:32

Ooh, I hope I've managed to inspire you to do what I do luzdoh. It made me sad to hear how bad Christmas makes you feel. Please don't be dead by Christmas. It took a bit of courage when I first told people what I was doing. I think for those who I didn't see to speak to I sent them a plain card in September/October, thanking them for previous cards or presents but requesting them not to send me anything any more and explaining that I was no longer doing Christmas. It turned out that nobody appeared to be upset or annoyed with me for it, and some actually said they wished they had the nerve to do the same! A few xmas cards do still get through the letterbox even though their senders have been told, but I don't worry about them.

Nanny123 Sun 26-Aug-18 11:55:31

I totally agree with you - all the Christmas cards are out in our local shops - and one of the local departmental stores have their Christmas display up already - and the children haven’t gone back to school - drives me crazy.

mabon1 Sun 26-Aug-18 11:57:02

What I think is wrong is that Christmas is shortened to Xmas. It is not an unknown mass it is a festival of the birth of Christ, hence Christmas. It is too early for Christmas advertisements