Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to think sologamy is bonkers?

(26 Posts)
minesaprosecco Tue 04-Sep-18 06:23:27

I'd never heard of this till this morning when trawling the Internet (couldn't sleep!). Anyone else agree that this sounds absolutely bonkers? Or AIBU and this is a healthy manifestation of self esteem? https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/business-42415394

minesaprosecco Tue 04-Sep-18 06:24:30

Looks like the link won't work - can anyone tell me how to correct it?

MawBroon Tue 04-Sep-18 06:28:16

I'd never heard of this till this morning
www.bbc.com/news/amp/business-42415394

Good grief!
Narcissism gone bonkers? Why not just have a party?
(PSI just deleted the http stuff)

ninathenana Tue 04-Sep-18 06:31:54

What a load of !@#$&

Willow500 Tue 04-Sep-18 06:59:07

Gok Wan was saying the other day that if he hasn't married by the time he's 50 he's going to marry himself - the whole huge wedding themed thing. Thought he was joking - maybe not!!

minesaprosecco Tue 04-Sep-18 07:09:53

Exactly, maw, just have a party. If you marry yourself, ate you being committing adultery if you then have sex with someone else? And what if you want to really get married? Do you have to get divorced? (I'm joking with these questions!).

minesaprosecco Tue 04-Sep-18 07:12:47

Arrggh! Should have previewed that post - meant to say '...Are you committing...' not 'ate you being committing...'hmm

Nannyali Tue 04-Sep-18 07:15:02

I have been trying to think of something to write but i am lost for an explanation why you would marry yourself.
What happens if you don’t get on with yourself and you need a divorce ?

minesaprosecco Tue 04-Sep-18 07:56:04

Can you imagine the discussion on who gets what, nannyali? 'I'll have the house, and I'll have the car, and I'll have the money and you can have...oh, there's no you, I'll just have it all then!'

MawBroon Tue 04-Sep-18 07:57:25

gringrin

harrigran Tue 04-Sep-18 08:04:09

Just when you think people can not get any dafter ....... ?

annep Tue 04-Sep-18 08:12:31

the "tearful dad" made me laugh. This is such a strange thing. Its a very OTT way of declaring that someone is not dependent on another human being to be happy. But well its the 21st century......

annodomini Tue 04-Sep-18 08:42:03

In a word: YES!

JoyBloggs Tue 04-Sep-18 08:48:36

And another YES! Absolutely gobsmacked!

jenpax Tue 04-Sep-18 09:37:37

I think it’s quite a nice idea especially if the person needs a boost of self esteem and why not? It won’t hurt anyone else and the individual will hopefully have a great day

Parsley3 Tue 04-Sep-18 09:43:15

What if you propose to yourself and yourself says no??

Teetime Tue 04-Sep-18 09:44:54

I'd be worried that I didn't like the dress I'd bought myself but then I'm shallow.

Elegran Tue 04-Sep-18 10:48:19

If they do it with laughter, or as an "up him, I don't need him" then then OK. Daft but not mad.

But I am reminded of a woman in the news a few years ago for marrying a tree, and some man who kept a badger in the house and treated it as a wife (I don't know if that was in all respects, but I got that impression. Those people were seriously wierd and should have been in therapy.

tiredoldwoman Tue 04-Sep-18 11:56:17

I had a very similar thought yesterday as I chucked a man friend out of my house !
I'm washing that man out of my hair , house and car today !
I've always thought that having a partner would be nice for my older years but a taster weekend of it I've decided that Im fine on my own !
Today , after cleaning , I will be a bride, a groom , a witness and a registrar and then celebrate with a nice cup of tea ! Congratulations to me from me .

M0nica Tue 04-Sep-18 12:10:16

If you want a party have one. As someone who has always loathed the whole white wedding shebang (for myself). I would really need to hate myself to force it upon myself.

Would I then be able to accuse myself of emotionally abusing myself and would I then be guilty of domestic violence? Could the police charge me and could I end up with a criminal record and a prison sentence?confused

Scribbles Tue 04-Sep-18 13:11:29

Perhaps IABU but I find the whole idea repellant and slightly creepy.
By all means, have a big party, celebrate being single if that's what you want to do. But marrying yourself? That sounds too much like up yourself.

MiniMoon Tue 04-Sep-18 16:47:16

Sounds a tad narcissistic to me. Who, in their right mind, would marry themselves?

M0nica Tue 04-Sep-18 20:35:40

Scribbles grin

Jalima1108 Tue 04-Sep-18 20:47:29

The ultimate in egoism!
Didn't some woman marry a rock not that long ago - what would you call that?
Petranogamy?

trisher Tue 04-Sep-18 20:49:41

Well I suppose if you've nothing else to spend your money on. Seems a bit of a waste to me I could think of so many things to do with the cash. Still you could have a lovely honeymoon couldn't you? Somewhere expensive and exotic...Think I'll settle for just the honeymoon!