Gransnet forums

AIBU

Why is GN being used as a whipping post for Corbyn?

(112 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

OldMeg Tue 04-Sep-18 07:25:05

Has anyone counted the number of threads currently active which are purely Anti-Jeremy Corbyn?

This is NOT a thread about a thread, but about the principle of being allowed to use this forum in a way which is not, surely, acceptable.

Does anyone else agree that this is heading beyond free speech and political debate and diversity, and has now entered the realms of something else?

Perhaps GNHQ would like to address this query too?

JudyJudy12 Tue 04-Sep-18 15:56:59

www.politicsforum.co.uk is a good place to have a political debate.

POGS Tue 04-Sep-18 18:01:24

JuduJudy12

Hmmm

Just took a peep at your link and it looks pretty one sided, leaning toward one side of the political debate . So as they would say on Dragons Den ' I'm out '.

I can't help but think this is a bit bit like the RAC posting on an AA website come over to us.

Ilovecheese Tue 04-Sep-18 18:32:37

I agree with a lot of Greta8 says in her post at 08.52(?).
Change is frightening especially for people who are doing very well with things as they are.

Day6 Tue 04-Sep-18 18:38:49

OldMeg, we post on political forums like this one so we can air our views about politicians. That's stating the obvious.

You started a thread about Theresa May recently, didn't you? There are several running. It's a tad two faced to complain Corbyn is discussed here, especially when he is discussed almost daily 'out there' on news programmes and social networking sites. Why should it be different on Gransnet. You have bashed May and many Conservative politicians. Are you seeking protection for Corbyn? Why should he be off limits if his stance and actions are being discussed in the wider world?

Just because you are partisan does not mean you can dictate as to what and who is discussed here..

Day6 Tue 04-Sep-18 18:59:28

I have explained why I started the threads but I cannot apologise to Corbyn supporters for speaking of what I truly believe

Nor should you have to Annie People have joined in on those discussions too.

We are entitled to our views. I doubt very much that anyone could deny Corbyn is a controversial figure and the backing he has from Momentum has changed the Labour Party in ways which many like me and others who were once Labour supporters cannot entertain.

The number of threads started about him illustrate how often he and the Labour Party make news headlines. How then can there be criticism of threads about him by those interested in politics?

lemongrove Tue 04-Sep-18 19:16:02

anyone who dishes it out towards May should be able to take it against Corbyn [and vice versa] not try and get HQ involved.
He is Leader Of The Opposition not the tea boy.

Jalima1108 Tue 04-Sep-18 21:13:09

Why is GN being used as a whipping post for Corbyn?

Well, somebody has to keep up the momentum

(sorry abut the pun)

trisher Tue 04-Sep-18 21:31:29

OldMeg one of the features of the politics threads on GN is that they focus totally on personalities and seldom discuss policies. And the personality they most like to destroy is Jeremy Corbyn. I think they probably have their own reasons for doing this. Whatever they are, it results in boring and repetetive threads.

PECS Tue 04-Sep-18 22:20:21

I do not think the OP was about limiting free speech in any way. More that repeating the same information/opinions on several similar threads becomes very repetitive and a tad dull. I try, but do not always succeed, not to repeat my opinion ad infinitum on various threads.
There are things I feel very passionate about which would include contributions on the various political threads but I think if I go on too much, having clearly stated my views, I will just alienate people.

Elegran Tue 04-Sep-18 22:27:20

What do you reckon those reasons are, Trisher ? I would guess that one of them could be as an antidote to the enthusiasm with which he was acclaimed when he first came to prominence. He was an relatively obscure and not exactly young backbencher who had never shown any outstanding qualities throughout his political career, but was propelled into the vacuum of the party leadership, where he apparently blossomed into the potential saviour of the party and the country. Such a miracle makeover and such enthusiasm is bound to raise some scepticism. He can please some of the people all the time, and all of the people some of the time, but he can't please all of the people all of the time.

Elegran Tue 04-Sep-18 22:30:30

Yes, POGS those who go on too much, having clearly stated their views, do run the risk of just alienating people. Aanother possible reason for posts decrying Corbyn, or maybe a repetition of my point above

PECS Tue 04-Sep-18 23:10:33

elegran think you mean me PECS not POGS .. I should have looked more carefully before I chose my name! confused

phoenix Tue 04-Sep-18 23:44:53

Sort of off track,but not, blush one could equally say that there are more than enough games threads, or ones about relationships.

GN is for anyone to post anything, as long as it doesn't contravene the guidelines, so sorry OldMeg, I can't agree with you on this one.

(I have my own opinion about Corbyn, which I will NOT post on here, as I try to stick (in the main) to non political threads, but felt that in it's way this was not actually a political thread, more about the content on GN, although could be wrong confused)

OldMeg Wed 05-Sep-18 08:00:31

PECS and trisher I think you have understood my point. But I deliberately posted this thread under AIBU, rather than news and politics, so it was begging the question so must of course listen to the replies.

I note Day6 your comment that you post on political forums in the plural, and that GN is likely just one of many then. Interesting,

What is emerging is the use of phrases such as ‘boring and repetitive’ re such threads.

sodapop Wed 05-Sep-18 08:12:36

I agree about the relationships & games threads Phoenix so posters are free to start a thread about whatever is concerning them at the time. There are always going to be politician bashers, at least people are interested enough to comment.

Elegran Wed 05-Sep-18 09:31:10

PECS Sorry - it was those capitals.

POGS Wed 05-Sep-18 11:45:21

Old Meg

I asked you a simple question and gave examples to assert the reason for my question :-

" Currently on the News and Politics Forum there are the following threads related to Theresa May/Conservative Party, do you believe your point re the number of threads applies to them. ? - "

I think you and other Corbyn supporter's are happy to create several threads about the Conservatives and Theresa May but play silly b---g--ers in trying to stop Corbyn threads but not threads you/they may start in a mirrored image.

It is called hypocrisy .

Nonnie Wed 05-Sep-18 11:51:17

If a thread gets boring don't read it! Just like complaining about TV programmes, if you don't like them switch them off!

We are adults, what a load of fuss about nothing.

alchemilla Wed 05-Sep-18 11:52:32

Ooooh - I'm running off to view the politics threads.

OldMeg Wed 05-Sep-18 12:37:33

I must have missed that POGS as I’ve lost interest in this thread.

POGS Wed 05-Sep-18 12:54:14

Old Meg

" I must have missed that POGS as I’ve lost interest in this thread."

Well you could answered the question in the time it took you to type that as it only required a Yes or No response.

Why start a thread if you bore of it so easily?

OldMeg Wed 05-Sep-18 12:58:58

I didn’t say I was ‘bored’ POGS that was your interpretation. I said I have lost interest.

There are other reasons to lose interest which I could name, but I won’t as I probably would have my post deleted by GNHQ!

kittylester Wed 05-Sep-18 14:38:35

That's rude oldmeg.

Jalima1108 Wed 05-Sep-18 14:46:14

It is certainly unkind to start a thread which is obviously aimed at one (if not more than one) poster because you dislike their views, then beyond belief to lose interest in the thread.

Yes, YABU. Just skip the posts you don't like - ignore them.

OldMeg Wed 05-Sep-18 15:57:45

Of course you’d say that always ready with a dig at me!

Personally I don’t give a damm if you think it’s ‘unkind’ but then most people didn’t even get what the point was and from your post neither did you.

No, I’m ot going to explain, but keep the jibes coming if it makes you happy. I’m off to pedal my exercise bike ?