Gransnet forums

AIBU

Why is GN being used as a whipping post for Corbyn?

(112 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

OldMeg Tue 04-Sep-18 07:25:05

Has anyone counted the number of threads currently active which are purely Anti-Jeremy Corbyn?

This is NOT a thread about a thread, but about the principle of being allowed to use this forum in a way which is not, surely, acceptable.

Does anyone else agree that this is heading beyond free speech and political debate and diversity, and has now entered the realms of something else?

Perhaps GNHQ would like to address this query too?

TerriBull Tue 04-Sep-18 09:06:38

Well GN threads reflect what's in the news, which is awash with articles about both the leaders of the main parties, the controversial issues that pertain to them and other high profile MPs. Although Mary Berry may divide opinions, I don't think making a comparison between a tv cookery personality and the leader of the opposition is a good one.

As for threads about family dynamics, they too run and run and will continue to do so because families occupy so much of our time, particularly when things go wrong.

Most of the threads reflect the nature of GN, although to be fair to oldMeg, maybe over on MN possibly there aren't as many threads about JC.

OldMeg Tue 04-Sep-18 09:24:40

Annie if all the three anti-Corbyn threads presently active have been started by you (and I haven’t said they were or indeed checked that out) then that is not actually the point.

The point is that whosoever has started such threads then it reeks of overkill. I have made the point that if there were three threads knocking Mary Berry as an example, then that would raise eyebrows.

Yes, politicians are fair game, I agree, but it’s not so much the individual as the sheer number. I get a bit like that when there’s another ‘I hate my MiL’ thread ot similar, but even those are by different people, usually I think.

Chewbacca Tue 04-Sep-18 09:25:43

Would this be considered normal or bordering on something else?

Such as? conspiracy theories alive and kicking?

NatashaGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 04-Sep-18 09:40:14

Hi all,

We don't restrict the number of political threads on a particular subject unless they breach our guidelines.

Hope this clears things up smile

OldMeg Tue 04-Sep-18 09:40:31

I think Chewbacca that the ‘something else’ is simply that there is a real fear and/of hatred of Jeremy Corbyn. I hesitate to say irrational because I think people have their reasons, which I must respect, but I can’t think of anyone else, with the obvious example of Trump, who excites such emotions.

And Trump is actually in power and can do real harm, so there is nothing irrational about feelings for him, whereas poor old J.C. is merely in opposition.

Does that make sense?

OldMeg Tue 04-Sep-18 09:41:40

Fair enough Natasha

Chewbacca Tue 04-Sep-18 09:53:50

Does that make sense?

No, not really,*OldMeg*. Personally, I can't be doing with Corbyn; distrust and dislike him intensely, but I feel pretty much the same way about May as well, so my dislike and distrust is evenly balanced! But you could just as easily have asked why there are so many threads opened about Brexit, couldn't you? They are often started by the same people; they don't offer any new information; they don't resolve anything; its just people discussing a topic that they feel strongly about and want to discuss it further. I don't think that they have any hidden agenda either; they just want to discuss the subject. And Corbyn is as divisive as Trump to many people and therefore worthy of discussion as each new blunder/faux pas/revelation comes to the public's attention.

Jalima1108 Tue 04-Sep-18 10:01:49

I can only see two threads in which the OP relates to Corbyn, one of those being about Frank Field. Sorry - three threads, the third being this one.

At one time there were several threads running simultaneously about Trump.
so there is nothing irrational about feelings for him, whereas poor old J.C. is merely in opposition.

Poor old JC is in fact a contentious figure and, as many people would love to see a Labour government in power again to right the wrongs which they can see happening, they do not think this will happen whilst he remains leader.
I don't think that is excessive and everyone is entitled to express their opinions on anything - especially politicians - as long as they remain within the guidelines.

Some may see Mary Berry as a contentious figure (who needs cakes with the obesity crisis?) but she will probably never be leader of a political party.

I can see your point OldMeg but sometimes all the tub-thumping and repetitive rhetoric about Brexit becomes boring too as we can do little about the outcome - so I just skip some of the posts.

I wouldn't want even more Gnetters to be driven off because others don't like what they post.

Jalima1108 Tue 04-Sep-18 10:03:56

X post Chewbacca (although there is a time difference it took me ages to type and post).

I agree with your post.

Anniebach Tue 04-Sep-18 10:10:56

May I defend myself please.

For me racism is vile, I have been subjected to it just by dating a black S.A. It was cruel. I will always speak out against it and I posted a thread on Corbyn and Anti Semitism .

I started a thread on Frank Field because I believed as this was breaking news it would be of interest on the politics forum. He is a well respect MP .

Sunday, I started a thread because a UNITE union spokeswoman had given an interview, this had nothing to do with Frank Field or racism.

threads on Mrs May’s dancing, Mrs May and Brexit, Mrs May ‘in trouble’ is acceptable. In my opinion racism in this country and in a political party is frightening so I will not a
apologise for these threads, if they anger Corbyn supporters surely ignore them and me not start this thread about my posts. I do now feel bullied .

Nonnie Tue 04-Sep-18 10:18:32

I think you must be in the minority OldMeg because if a subject is unpopular no one posts on it. Some of us simply avoid the posts we don't like because it is a forum for everyone to express their views as they wish. It is not up to any of us to object to what others want to post or read.

God forbid that anyone polices the number of posts on any subject at all.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 04-Sep-18 10:29:16

Anniebach, I am not with you politically, but I do agree with the right for any gransnetter to start a thread on whatever they like, as long as it is not in breach of gn guidelines, which yours are not (I believe)

We still have free speech in this country, and we should continue to use it.

If anyone doesn't like a thread they are free to ignore it.

I for one am totally fed up with the doom and gloom predictions about Brexit, so I keep my silence (mostly) and avoid the Brexit threads.

I thought GN would be full of Grans/Grandads supporting each other which it generally is. The only posts that I perceive could be 'bullying' have been on the political threads.

Jalima1108 Tue 04-Sep-18 10:31:07

This is probably a thread about threads, so perhaps GNHQ will take it down, particularly as it seems aimed at one particular poster.

humptydumpty Tue 04-Sep-18 10:35:02

I think by now a lot of us know Annie's views on JC so a new post with a different angle is not a surprise; if it feels like overkill, ignore it.

Anniebach Tue 04-Sep-18 10:37:24

Thank you GrannyGravy. This thread is distressing , I understand OldMeg is free to start a thread criticising me but to do so to complain about my posts criticising a politician ?

Jalima1108 Tue 04-Sep-18 10:40:24

The aim of this thread seems to be to gag a poster, either by stopping them posting what they wish by appealing to GN or by driving them from GN altogether.

I hope GNHQ take this thread down asap.

Anniebach Tue 04-Sep-18 10:41:33

I will not post on this thread again. I have explained why I started the threads but I cannot apologise to Corbyn supporters for speaking of what I truly believe.

Elegran Tue 04-Sep-18 10:42:05

I wasn't going to mention that May gets as much stick as Corbyn, on just as many posts, as that would instantly label me as a "Mayist"in some blinkered posters' eyes. However, it is true. As much derogatory stuff is or has been written about her on Gransnet at various times as about Corbyn. Any comments on that fact get the kind of reply from Corbyn's supporters,"Well, of course, she really is a (fill in whatever criticisms you like here) " It is all down to confrontational two-party politics - instead of adopting the best policies from a wide spread of viewpoints, the system at Westminster encourages polarised groups at loggerheads with each other and polarised voters slagging off leading figures of the other side. It works in both directions, so JC doesn't need to feel specially selected.

POGS Tue 04-Sep-18 11:11:46

Old Meg

I asked a similar question re 7 Brexit threads on Active in the space of just one hour. My point was not that Brexit should not be discussed but the flow of the thread was lost and and posters had to repeat themselves on 7 threads because the topic was the same.

GN provided the answer they were different subjects and not threads about a thread.

So I will hold my hand up to possibly being called a hypocrite by taking you to task.

Currently on the News and Politics Forum there are the following threads related to Theresa May/Conservative Party, do you believe your point re the number of threads applies to them. ? -

Teresa May ...dancing queen or chief clown?

Theresa May is a liar

Boris Johnson's Latest 'Gaff

Islamaphobia and the Tory Party

The Conservative Party and Islamaphobia

Jacob Rees-Mogg

Although there are other posts you have made on various threads over time where you raised the issue in your OP I was reminded of just 1 current thread where you have posted to Anniebach :-

" Are you moonlighting as a Daily Mail journalist perhaps? "

" Annie you are using GN as a platform to advertise your hatred for Jeremy Corbyn. As one thread peters out then another gets started. "

" I’m certainly not accusing you of being a sort of internet Quisling Annie but your strong views could easily attract the support of others with an agenda of that nature."

Old Meg possibly the best piece of advice you give on that particular thread is when you say:-

" I think we should, in general be very wary when reading posts that constantly attack individuals ".

I like the saying ' You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time. '

kittylester Tue 04-Sep-18 11:17:47

Annie, please don't let one person stop you posting whatever you want. People either will or won't respond.

M0nica Tue 04-Sep-18 11:27:55

I think it is a refreshing change from the usual run of Labour = paradise, Conservative = hell, threads, which are generally ineffably boring.

I find the current threads are quite amusing as they have broken up the previous unbroken alliance of Labour supporters into two camps.

notanan2 Tue 04-Sep-18 11:46:57

He is leader of the opposition Meg!

He is not some random civilian who GN are picking on by scrutinizing for no reason.

notanan2 Tue 04-Sep-18 11:53:26

In the past whole swathes of people have given labour "get out of gaol free cards" when ever labour did anything dodgy by trotting out the same old tired retort of "well at least their not Tories! Look at them instead! They're worse".

Well that veil has slipped.
Leftists are as capable of evil as right wingers.

notanan2 Tue 04-Sep-18 11:53:57

They're not their, sorry

Lazigirl Tue 04-Sep-18 15:02:22

I am very interested in politics but rarely participate in such threads on here and quickly lose interest in following them when well worn personal attacks are made on prominent individuals of whichever party. It is very difficult to have a balanced political discussion on a forum such as this. It just serves to reinforce already entrenched positions.