Gransnet forums

AIBU

School uniforms

(109 Posts)
watermeadow Wed 05-Sep-18 19:16:53

To think academies’ uniform policies are ridiculous and unreasonable.
My granddaughter has just started secondary school and her uniform cost hundreds of pounds. Every item had to be bought from the school shop at top prices but poor quality. She needed five different items just for PE, including short socks and long socks, all with school logo. What the hell does it matter what socks they wear!
This is a state comprehensive school. I cannot imagine how poor parents manage and what about those with twins or triplets?
If a child wears the wrong thing to school they get punished, even if their uniform has been stolen or their expensive shoes have fallen apart.

Hm999 Sat 08-Sep-18 10:27:44

Can I defend teachers please? They are told to check uniform, and can be told off if, on a lesson observation, there is a pupil not in complete uniform in their class. Presumably Senior Leadership Team of school will say they are told by the governors or Multi-academy Trust to push school uniform.

Hm999 Sat 08-Sep-18 10:29:57

And sure Nursery uniform (usually just a bright sweatshirt?) is safety-aware when taking them off-site?

Jalima1108 Sat 08-Sep-18 10:43:48

I think so, Hm999; it would be much easier to spot an escapee.
I have seen groups of nursery children out wearing bright purple or red, but bottle green isn't at all distinctive.

annodomini Sat 08-Sep-18 10:45:15

Standing in for another lecturer in an FE college, I started a discussion among a class of trainee nannies about school uniform. They unanimously agreed that they had always hated it and were glad to be free of it. Then I looked at them: each one of them was wearing jeans and a college sweat shirt!

Jalima1108 Sat 08-Sep-18 10:47:57

grin it reminds me of a group of men in a pub all saying that they could never join the Forces because they didn't want to wear a uniform.
All wearing identical blue jeans and t shirts.

MissAdventure Sat 08-Sep-18 10:58:08

I think anything with a 'must have' label is the equivalent of wearing a uniform.
Why people would pay a ridiculous amount to wear the same as other people, I don't know.

Jalima1108 Sat 08-Sep-18 11:12:30

And, of course, there will be the 'haves' at school wearing the 'must have labels' and the 'have nots' unable to compete, perhaps bullied or, even if not, being made to feel awful.

School uniform is a leveller as long as it is a sensible uniform and the costs are kept down.

MissAdventure Sat 08-Sep-18 11:14:00

I'm eternally grateful my grandsons school has a uniform.
I would hate him to be the kid that lives with his Nan and doesn't have the latest labels to wear.