Gransnet forums

AIBU

Freedom in my house

(77 Posts)
sparkly1000 Sun 16-Sep-18 17:40:56

My two Gds, 4 and 18 months pop in about twice weekly, when I know they are coming I pop a couple of ornaments out of reach, other Gran needs 2 hours notice so that she can cover her furniture with dust sheets and her laminated flooring with cardboard just in case.
Frankly I find this odd and DD says she finds it insulting.
She does not live in a posh house, just ordinary like us.
During the very hot weather recently we often had the little one running around with no clothes or nappy, if there were a little tinkle to me it would not be the end of the world.
Am I being unreasonable to think that this behaviour is odd?

Blencathra Tue 18-Sep-18 22:16:12

I think it is very sad rather than odd. I can't understand anyone putting their belongings before family.

Jalima1108 Tue 18-Sep-18 19:42:19

Throws are great, they look fashionable folded up on the back of the sofa, can be thrown over the sofa and then bunged in the washing machine if necessary.

Jalima1108 Tue 18-Sep-18 19:39:49

sparkly
Aren't dogs wonderful!

However, we went to a party at the weekend; I had a little bit of cheese rind left but we were not allowed to feed the dogs. They were visitors too and the owner sat there with a forbidding expression on her face grin and the dogs sat under the table looking mournful.
Perhaps they got an upset tum if they ate anything other than dried dog food.

Washerwoman Tue 18-Sep-18 19:32:44

I'm quite houseproud and like things tidy but when 2 year old DGD stays -at least one afternoon and night a week I actually relax a bit.I find her so funny and adorable I just want to enjoy her company without fretting about the odd spilt drink or crumbs.But we don't let her rampage around either,she knows if we say not to play with something special we mean it.And two spaniel do a fabulous job of clearing up food from the floor,then out comes the mop .Cardboard and dust sheets sound extreme to me.

ChaosIncorporated Tue 18-Sep-18 19:26:16

This reminded me of my adored -though now 'ex' - MIL
The ILs lived in the US, and we flew over for a two week stay with DD1 who had just started walking.
I was a nervous wreck on the flight out, knowing the potential for multiple disasters in a home filled with expensive china, gadgets, clocks with opening doors, and every other imaginable breakable!
We arrived to find all fragile items stored in cupboards, which had been strung together through handles to prevent opening! Even the grandfather clocks had been taped up.
MIL had left one cupboard free in both kitchen and den, and filled them with non breakable 'stuff'.
Bless her. I loved her for very good reason.

Sometimes covering up and locking away is a good thing, if it allows everyone to completely relax.
On a personal level, the only prep I do is getting the toys out of the cupboard. The dogs make more mess than the GC.

DillyLavender Tue 18-Sep-18 17:57:59

Yes I agree Sparkly, the poor kids (all 3 of them) were dressed like mannequins and couldn't move from her side.
They all rebelled when they hit their teens, all 3 played rugby and football, and Grandma had to wash their kits.

Still, it wouldn't do for us all to be the same hey!

Eglantine21 Tue 18-Sep-18 16:17:46

Actually sparkly, I’ve been thinking quite hard about this. I think a throw(even cheaper to do dustsheets) on upholstery is quite a reasonable thing to do. Lots of people do it for their beloved animals so why not for GC. No worries then about the chocolate digestive - that we mustn’t give them anymore grin

The cardboard seemed a bit odd but then I was in the bathroom this morning and I thought “ If they’re tiddling on a laminate floor, cardboard makes a lot of sense. It will absorb the liquid and they won’t paddle through it and slip.”

Wet laminate is lethal!

So maybe this is just one very practical lady. No need to be insulted.

sparkly1000 Tue 18-Sep-18 15:28:05

Oh my Dilly! Now that is extreme. Until recently we had an elderly Labrador who could give the latest Dyson a run for its money in the crumb hoovering up department.

DillyLavender Tue 18-Sep-18 12:54:42

I remember going to my brother's house many years ago after the Christening of his first child, we were all made welcome and told to help ourselves to food and drinks etc,

Not a soul moved, then the next door neighbour's little girl walked in and grabbed a small cake from the table. The next thing we know was that my Sil dragged the hoover from the under stairs cupboard and followed the child around with it humming away. All the adults knew what she was like, hence not eating. Cushions were even fluffed whilst folk sat on the sofa!

Glamma420 Tue 18-Sep-18 01:43:31

I guess I don’t understand why it’s insulting. I wear expensive clothing even though it might not appear so, but I like to change into older pieces when the DD brings my 18mo and the fur babies. It makes me more comfortable which provides an more engaging experience for my loved ones. I figure other gran is doing the same ting.

Jalima1108 Mon 17-Sep-18 23:46:32

Mine all take their shoes off which is very thoughtful of them but not at my insistence.

^ I need one of those "oiled" ? tablecloths^
You can buy a piece off a roll at a shop near us. I must remember to get it out when they come, thanks for reminding me crazyH!

lemongrove Mon 17-Sep-18 22:04:37

We do put a few things away when smaller DGC visit us, it just seems common sense, but only takes five mins to do.
They are used to taking off shoes in the hall, and do this at home anyway.
Yes, the behaviour does sound OCD, and it may be difficult for this woman to have the children there, even though she wants to see them.

MissAdventure Mon 17-Sep-18 22:04:01

wink

Chewbacca Mon 17-Sep-18 22:00:43

Now that's an excellent idea MissA, why didn't I think of that! grin

MissAdventure Mon 17-Sep-18 21:58:57

The easiest thing is just to put a cover over the grandchildren. smile

crazyH Mon 17-Sep-18 21:57:53

I've got a beige carpet which is now multi coloured. No, not really, but there are one or two spots of colouring which just won't cone out....I am not that house proud so I'm leaving it as it is.....I won't be claiming on my house insurance....no point, because the little ones might do it again. I usually spread an old table cloth on the carpet, but the colouring went through. I need one of those "oiled" ? tablecloths

Jalima1108 Mon 17-Sep-18 19:47:53

She may have OCD
and
For some people with anxiety/OCD just having people in the house at all is terrifying, so having them there with covers might already be a huge compromise done out of love on their part.

Yes, she may indeed as this does sound rather extreme. In which case she deserves sympathy as this could be causing her extreme stress.

GabriellaG Mon 17-Sep-18 19:18:00

Visitors to me always remove their shoes as I do when visiting others.
Workmen or meter readers are offered plastic non-slip overshoes if they prefer to keep shoes on.
Thames Water meter man refused both suggestions so my meter hasn't been officially 'read' for 6 years grin

Chewbacca Mon 17-Sep-18 18:18:30

I've never covered up any chair, sofa, item of furniture or floor covering when the GC come here. Everything can be cleaned if necessary. All ornaments are there to be looked at, admired and examined; that's why I got them in the first place, so why put them out of the reach of inquisitive children? So long as you stay with them and explain that it's a "treasured thing", very little can happen. And what if it does? It's just "stuff"; GC aren't. As for the mess they create, that can be tidied away when they've gone home.
I'd rather my GC remember my house as a place that had fun, rather than it being a place where nothing was to be touched.

sparkly1000 Mon 17-Sep-18 17:38:43

Thanks for your input ladies. No allergies or money issues. Other Gran appears to enjoy the granddaughters but visits to her home seems to stress her.
She visits DD a couple of times a week and spends most of her time tidying up toys, a fruitless exercise until the DGC have gone to bed.
She is in her early 60s, in good health, has lived alone for over 20 years, drives and loves cleaning.
A touch of OCD me thinks?

Coconut Mon 17-Sep-18 17:12:04

Each to their own but personally i think it’s odd, the GC will soon learn which Gran to go to for love and warmth and acceptance. I agree with teaching house rules re not touching things, eating at the table etc but this goes too far.

Jayelld Mon 17-Sep-18 17:03:21

The number of times I've walked on lego or plastic toy soldiers with bare feet, found cups and glasses down the side of the sofa, and even a pack of pens and paper in my bed, after my GCs visit!!! An hour clearing up, washing up and putting away and my bungalow is back to normal, clean, tidy, comfortabĺe and cosy, (says my friends!). Dust sheets and cardboards do seem extreme though!

OldMeg Mon 17-Sep-18 17:02:22

Never moved anything even when grandchildren were small. One rule only they took their shoes off and left them in the hall. I think I had a vase broken once but we glued it back together and just used it for dried flowers after that.

I once had to bath two of them before I sent them home as they took all their clothes off and covered each other in felt tip patterns.

notanan2 Mon 17-Sep-18 16:46:36

"I'm not go to see grandma , she's not like you!!! Clearly I have done something right!!!!
I wouldn't rejoice at my kids comparing/playing off people like that.
Its not a contest.

mabon1 Mon 17-Sep-18 16:43:53

Yes it certainly is. My grandsons had to clasp their hands behind their backs when in other granny's house!!! They are grown up now and the other day one said to me "I'm not go to see grandma , she's not like you!!! Clearly I have done something right!!!!