Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to think this is ridiculous?

(64 Posts)
shelagh Tue 02-Oct-18 17:09:50

My local Tesco has had a whole aisle of Christmas food since mid September. Now I do understand people like to plan ahead and spread the financial burden etc But all of the things I picked up with this in mind such as mince pies and the like had expiry dates in the middle of October. So what's the point? I do like a mince pie as much as the next person but if I started now I would be sick of the sight of them by Christmas.

muffinthemoo Tue 02-Oct-18 17:12:18

I agree. There is no way these things can be safely stored until Christmas time.

DH is getting through a box of iced mince pies a day currently, no way those would hang around till Christmas...

lemongrove Tue 02-Oct-18 17:15:18

grin
Good for him Muffin a man who knows what he likes.

lemongrove Tue 02-Oct-18 17:17:13

I know what you mean though Shelagh it does seem too early, even to be looking at them, let alone eating them.Local garden centre has all Christmas displays up and running, children must get very confused.

glammanana Tue 02-Oct-18 17:18:12

mmm bring on the mince pies they will be eaten in my house any time of year.

SueDonim Tue 02-Oct-18 17:34:16

I've been buying treats for Xmas as they appear in the shops on offer. It will help spread the financial load (I'm expecting a full house!) and all the sell-by dates are well into 2019.

Though I haven't bought mince pies. That would put the kibosh on my attempt to lose weight before putting it all back on again in December. grin

Chewbacca Tue 02-Oct-18 17:35:36

blush slinks away quietly

SueDonim Tue 02-Oct-18 17:37:28

Shall I pass the brandy butter, Chewbacca? grin

Charleygirl5 Tue 02-Oct-18 17:40:34

I am so lucky- I do not like mince pies.

shelagh Wed 03-Oct-18 09:15:24

I do totally understand about spreading the load but what surprised me was how many of the products expired weeks and weeks before Christmas. Mind you I also couldn't buy mince pies now even if they did have a long sell by date as I would never resist them

DoraMarr Wed 03-Oct-18 09:23:36

I was an infant school teacher, and preparations for Christmas started after the October half term holiday. Because of this, I always left most of my home Christmas preparations until after we broke up- usually around the 20th December. We put the tree up on the nearest Sunday to the 18th, and we wrote and posted the cards then. I really enjoyed shopping for presents and food in those few days before Christmas, we were always prepared, and doing it all in a few days added to the excitement.

Nannarose Wed 03-Oct-18 09:58:27

I agree that spreading the load is a good idea, so would prefer it limited to those things with a long use-by.
Thinking of spreading the load - when I was young I pointed out the butcher's Xmas Club to my mother. She got me to sit down and work the cost out, so that I learned she got better interest from a small savings account than 'Xmas clubs'.
I saluted her memory though, when I realised that the Co-op Savings Card offers better interest than most most short-term savings accounts (2%). So now I do one card for us, and one for the Food Bank.

Witzend Wed 03-Oct-18 10:26:54

An ex colleague of mine starts buying and enjoying M&S mince pies as soon as they appear in the shops. (Already I think!).

Some people really love Christmas and like to start very early, to spread the cost, if nothing else. I can't say it really bothers me, but then I've always loved Christmas, too.

Must say that what grates a bit at this time of year is the mountains of black/orange Halloween tat that is filling the shops.

I'm convinced that Halloween has only become such a Big Thing in recent years, compared to in my childhood, because it's now seen as such a fantastic opportunity for making money on tat that kids are going to clamour for - and parents feel they have to buy.

Witzend Wed 03-Oct-18 10:29:35

Should add that we love mince pies, too, but I make my own and the first batch will usually go in the oven on 1st December, with the first carols playing while I'm making them.

TwiceAsNice Wed 03-Oct-18 10:32:59

I have started buying some Christmas presents to spread the cost as I have a limited income. However haven't yet bought any food items except some caddies of twig lets which were on special offer, we all like them and they will keep. I have also bought crackers already again because they were a good price. We make a lot of Christmas in our family and I could not afford to buy everything in just a couple of weeks.

ditzyme Wed 03-Oct-18 10:34:57

Well,I don't consider myself a dinosaur at all, but what the heck is AIBU, and why can't people use proper language instead of these ridiculous abbreviations? Not only is the human race becoming 'more fragile by the day' as 'Day6' (rightly) said in response to the handclapping thread, but we are also becoming lazy, especially in the use of our beautiful language.

stree Wed 03-Oct-18 10:37:02

Have you asked yourself, "Am I being unreasonable?" in asking what does AIBU means?

Jaycee5 Wed 03-Oct-18 10:38:25

I don't see why mince pies are only for Christmas. My local Morrisons often has them through the year.
Having a whole aisle from September does seem a bit much though. Special days have become less special because they are so drawn out.

Tillybelle Wed 03-Oct-18 10:40:10

Nannarose Brilliant! Someone who thinks like me! I was thinking, unless the items are on special offer, why not save the money and get a bit of interest?
I can't find a coop savings account in my area though sad.

JanaNana Wed 03-Oct-18 10:58:31

For me part of the lead up to Christmas is baking mince pies myself. Usually start around beginning of December. Everything regarding Christmas is started far too soon in the shops, no wonder by the time it arrives many people are fed up with it all.

Jayelld Wed 03-Oct-18 11:00:40

I buy christmas and birthday presents throughout the year and it's amazing the number of unopened gift sets that get given to charity shops! I snap them up whenever I see them, great for those little extra gifts or the person you forgot at work/club etc.
As to mince pies, I will be making my own this year, along with the mincemeat. So much cheaper, better tasting and you can add or remove ingredients as required!

Thorntrees Wed 03-Oct-18 11:06:38

A couple of years ago in early October we were in MandS and mince pies were on display,DH noticed the expiry date was well before Christmas. He approached a sales assistant and questioned why they were being advertised as ‘Christmas products’ ( he can get terribly grumpy in supermarkets), the answer was that people liked to freeze them so they didn’t run out over the festive season!! He wasn’t convinced but we bought some anyway.

Lancslass1 Wed 03-Oct-18 11:55:04

I agree with Jaycee5
I love mince pies.
I believe Iceland have them in now and their's are scrumptious.
However it is difficult to get mincemeat (I use it for baked apples) at small supermarkets where I live.
One year I bought 3jars in January ,reduced to 50p each but there was a shelf life of over a year on them.

sandelf Wed 03-Oct-18 12:08:52

Christmas is a seasonal festival at the darkest time of year. That I can go with. But last year I'd a total breakdown. Because of the unremitting hype that goes on for months. It is commerce and nothing but commerce. From encouraging us to eat stuff none of us would choose, to having to have 'the dress', perfect make up, 'make' our families and friends 'happy' (as though that were ever possible). Turn your back on it. Maybe then in December we will be ably to simply celebrate the turn of the year and the coming of Our Lord.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 03-Oct-18 12:27:27

Gah now I am craving mince pies. This is not good...I'm determined not to touch one until December grin

PS the puff pastry ones from M&S.... mmmmmmmmmmm