Gransnet forums

AIBU

Fairy Tales, Women & WW1 & 2 Suffergettes & Frozen

(10 Posts)
M0nica Fri 19-Oct-18 17:39:25

As I have said on another thread, none of my childhood reading and story hearing had any effect on my decision to go to university and study a subject where most of my fellow students were men nor did it stop me making a career in a male dominated industry.

DD has done much the same thing.

Ilovecheese Fri 19-Oct-18 17:33:42

How on earth would something called the respectful relationship programme have the power to ban fairy tales? Absolute nonsense spouted by the Daily Mail.

oldbatty Fri 19-Oct-18 17:00:42

I love the Mail, it is consistently interesting and accurate and doesn't focus on women and their bodies at all, ever, well possibly a bit.

br0adwater Fri 19-Oct-18 16:55:33

Well if it's in the Daily Mail it must be true. Let's have a long discussion about it.

Nannarose Fri 19-Oct-18 16:30:56

I don't think we should confuse traditional folk tales and what Disney has made of them. It is true that Disney's version of Snow White came out in the 1930s, but most of the strong women cited by Bridgeit would have grown up with older stories, and the 'improving' tales from Victorian & Edwardian time, not the Disney versions.

MiniMoon Fri 19-Oct-18 16:22:07

I read this last night. Absolutely ridiculous if you ask me. They really ought to read the original fairy tales, most of which are quite dark and quite gruesome.

Bridgeit Fri 19-Oct-18 15:04:53

The Respectful Relationships Program , reported on the Daily Mail online

Ilovecheese Fri 19-Oct-18 14:57:14

Who says they are in danger of being banned?

Bridgeit Fri 19-Oct-18 14:35:16

Ohhps sorry. Banned not band

Bridgeit Fri 19-Oct-18 14:32:45

The old traditional and some new Fairy tales are now being criticised & possibly in danger of being band because they apparently uphold stereotyping of Woman as the weaker sex etc.
Haven’t these young woman proposing this
overlooked the achievements & equality of past generations, ie
Landarmy
ATS
Wrens
ATA
WTC
VAD
SOE ... etc etc
All of the above were not compromised by hearing ,reading ,enjoying fairytales of the Prince rescues Princess Female falls in love with strong Handsome man variety of storytelling. —— time for some ladies to get a life & stop beating the ‘ poor me , I’m being marginalised because I’m female, perhaps they have overlooked the fact that we already have a Queen & a Female PrimeMinister both are married & would have been brought up on those very Fairytales that are now considered so damaging to the aspirations & success of woman, I think this proves that they are not.