Gransnet forums

AIBU

More thoughtless (selfish?) people

(24 Posts)
blanca12 Tue 13-Nov-18 01:55:23

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

blanca12 Tue 13-Nov-18 01:50:29

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

jenpax Mon 12-Nov-18 16:10:02

Agree Cherrytree59

Cherrytree59 Mon 12-Nov-18 15:32:54

Imho fireworks are dangerous and as such should only be sold under licence and a court application made by an events organiser,

Stipulations regarding age and times should enforced.

Mabel2 Mon 12-Nov-18 11:32:17

Still getting fireworks at all hours, cars parked every where, on pavements, junctions you name it. Personally I think it's got worse since the introduction of the theory test. Drivers study to pass that and don't read the highway code. We should bring back public information films. I've seen a few on forces tv. Should be on every channel, but at least BBC and itv.

HurdyGurdy Sun 11-Nov-18 17:25:22

Lancslass1 - Silent fireworks do exist. I wish they'd use them more

dogtime.com/trending/33475-town-italy-switches-silent-fireworks-reduce-anxiety-animals

Nonnie Sun 11-Nov-18 14:15:25

Didn't you all know that you can park on double yellow lines or in a totally antisocial area just as long as you put your hazard lights on? grin Surely it is a special exemption for those too lazy to walk to cash machines?

I have been having a poor little me day, thinking about all the tough stuff I am dealing with and have had dumped on me most of my life. Just heard about a young friend whose brother was killed in a car accident which, added to the fact that Remembrance Sunday is always hard for me. It all set me to thinking how unfair life is and how some people seem to think only of themselves and just sail through life without all the grief some of us have to deal with. Some appear to think that nothing is wrong unless you get caught. Hey ho, will probably feel better tomorrow.

M0nica Sun 11-Nov-18 13:56:20

HurdyGurdy. I searched on times for fireworks. As I said usually none between 11pm and 7am. The exceptions were midnight on November 5th and 1.00am for New Year, Chinese New Year and Diwali, but the night for Diwali was early last week, not Friday night and anyway they went off at 1.30am, which is outside all parameters.

sarahellenwhitney Sun 11-Nov-18 13:40:57

Monica. Shades of the Tin Man song from 'Over the Rainbow' If We Only Had A Brain'

Chewbacca Sun 11-Nov-18 13:28:53

This morning, our village organised a number of events to honour the end of WW1. It began with bagpipes being played at 06.00 to commemorate the time that Armistice was signed in 1918. The pipes were played for just 5 minutes. I was shock stunned to read a post on the village's Facebook page demanding to know "why the hell bagpipes were being played at 06.00 on a Sunday morning when we're not even in Scotland". I didnt know whether to laugh or cry at the ignorance, or crass selfishness, of the poster.

AnnS1 Sun 11-Nov-18 13:27:29

I think folk are more selfish. This morning, early and still dark on a fairly busy road, the car coming towards me collided with a deer. The poor deer smashed the girl’s windscreen and bounced off the roof and I hit it, but luckily it landed on the road and in between my front tyres so car okay. Obviously we both stopped, hazard lights on, deer was sadly dead. Oncoming cars didn’t stop. I flagged a couple of guys down and asked for help to move it. Just astonished that people thought it okay to drive past.

cangran Sun 11-Nov-18 13:17:58

As a non-driver living in a London suburb that's clogged with traffic, I get really fed up with those people who seem to feel entitled to drive everywhere and park anywhere they like including on the pavements and on our new cycle lanes; but worst of all are the mums with their big 4 by 4s who park as close to a school as possible, leave their engines running (really healthy for the young children outside the school gates and having to breath in that crap) as their poor darlings can't seem to walk anywhere. Sorry - I know there are some people living in cities who have genuine reasons for driving but just needed to vent about the selfish ones who are just too lazy to walk, cycle or get a bus.

Lancslass1 Sun 11-Nov-18 13:16:16

We have had fireworks every night since 31st October.
Apparently some people in this area have been awakened in the early hours of the morning by them.
I haven't in fairness but the cat has been scared stiff of the noise and has hidden under my desk every evening boyo Rev the fireworks even started .
Why can they not have fireworks without the bang?

HurdyGurdy Sun 11-Nov-18 12:32:01

We had fireworks going off at 1.30am the other day as well. In the rain.

But someone pointed out that it was Diwali, so maybe their fireworks are time-specific?

anitamp1 Sun 11-Nov-18 11:45:52

Perhaps he had phoned for help but was texting someone to let them know he would be late or something similar. Can't imagine anyone being daft enough to stop in that sort of place just to text. But then some people's stupidity never fail to amaze me.

Gizmogranny Sun 11-Nov-18 11:29:32

Sometimes I think people just don’t think what they are doing. We we’re in the suburbs and came across someone who had pulled over and just as my husband said “what an idiot for stopping on the brow of a hill” the driver must have realised what he had done, started his car and moved further down the road so at least we were able to pass him safely.

rafichagran Sun 11-Nov-18 11:22:23

I broke down and have the App so I texted for help. If that us the case I would not have a problem with it. If it was just a social text that is a different matter.

evianers Sun 11-Nov-18 11:13:42

In case you wonder whether it is only in the UK that things like this happen OP, here in France we are submerged with people on their 'phones or texting whilst driving even, despite that it is strictly illegal of course.
Insufficient policemen to enforce fines et al, and of course those who own mobile 'phones [we do not she said virtuously] are well aware of this. 20 years ago, no-one had one of these dratted fashion accessories. Today we are discriminated against because we do not have one.

stree Sun 11-Nov-18 10:12:17

In this quiet place we did not have one single firework....
We used to live in east Leeds and fireworks began in late September through until mid January..So the change from there to here is welcome.
As for the roundabout parking, apart from being annoying it is dangerous and I think I might have gone over to ask if he was having problems. If so, then sympathise, offer help(?) but if just stopped to use phone I would give him some choice advice.

morethan2 Sun 11-Nov-18 07:29:41

The world is bursting with people who think they are
More entitled than you
More important than you
Busier than you
On a good day I just shrug and roll my eyes
On a bad day grrrrrrrrrrrrr then forget it
Their just not worth the effort

M0nica Sat 10-Nov-18 21:31:16

I thought of that, but surely you phone for help in those circumstances.

BlueBelle Sat 10-Nov-18 21:15:13

Perhaps the man was actually stuck and texting to get help

M0nica Sat 10-Nov-18 20:21:21

Something went wrong first half of OP not there. Here it is

1) At 1.30 this morning we were woken by a loud, crump, crump, crump sound, like artillery fire that went on in bursts for about 10 minutes, may be more. The coloured wash on the curtains told us that the noise was coming from a firework display of some sort and it was so loud it must have woken nearly everyone in this village of about 1,000 houses

Setting aside that it is illegal to set off fireworks between 11.00pm - 7.00am, except on certain specific dates, with specific time limits, all ending before 1.00am. What kind of person does something like that. without thought for other people?

M0nica Sat 10-Nov-18 20:20:22

2) This afternoon we drove up to small roundabout, not a mini but the kind you get where new housing developments meet a main road. Parked with his wheels part over the white line onto the roundabout, part on the estate road was a car, hazard lights on. I was just about to feel sorry for him breaking down just there, when I realised he had stopped to use his phone. He was busy texting. There was an island in the road, and he was blocking over half of the road. It was only with great difficulty that DH managed to get past him and swan neck round him to turn left.