Gransnet forums


Using AIBU for the second time!

(55 Posts)
phoenix Mon 12-Nov-18 19:56:57

blush I do try to avoid it!

Anyway, sending usual good wishes to all.

I ordered 2 lampshades from that place that some don't approve of. They have arrived, are the right colour and size, but I can't put them on my lamps because they need a "gimble/gimbal" (take your pick on spelling) confused

Ok, so on re-reading the listing, it does say "needs gimble, available separately" .

But it doesn't say WHERE !!! The suppliers website says that they don't supply to the public, but if I provide my postcode, they can recommend a "local" supplier!

Bet their idea of local is Exeter, which for me is not exactly round the corner.

I have googled to try to find what I need, but no luck sad

So, I have a pile of cardboard, and 2 lamps still shadeless.

Was so looking forward to getting my lamps up and working..........

(Yes, it's a first world problem)

Edithb Tue 13-Nov-18 10:23:44

I was going to buy a shade from Wilko until I saw on the label that it needed a gimbal so I couldn’t be bothered, but they may sell them in there.

NotSpaghetti Tue 13-Nov-18 10:26:50

Lots on eBay and elsewhere. Try googling “shade carrier”.

Jalima1108 Tue 13-Nov-18 10:28:02

perhaps it's not the shades, it's the lamps.

Don't they usually come with their own gimbals?

dragonfly46 Tue 13-Nov-18 10:49:26

These lampshades have gimbals included

I would send them back and get new ones with gimbal.

Jalima1108 Tue 13-Nov-18 10:50:11

I'm confused now, which bit is the gimbal?

mabon1 Tue 13-Nov-18 10:58:56

Return it, problem solved, buy the shades locally.

GabriellaG Tue 13-Nov-18 10:59:34

Hardware stores, shops or online. Input on eBay with size and order.
That is what Google is for. Qs & As.

DotMH1901 Tue 13-Nov-18 11:10:52

You can get shade gimbals from Amazon - just had a look at their website, and from other retailers too - does add quite a bit to the cost though! These shades look like they are meant for a hanging room light rather than a table lamp so that is probably why they need the gimbal to convert them for use on table lamps.

etheltbags1 Tue 13-Nov-18 11:17:40

Bliddy ell im confused. I just buy mine at asda or similar and they fit with no silly extras. If they dont fit i take em back. Whats so hard about buying a lampshade

Neilspurgeon0 Tue 13-Nov-18 11:17:58

Oh Squiffy what a perfect description

On a ship, the gimbal is a complex arrangement if brass swivels that keeps the compass steady in a high sea, thus much simpler idea uses the same principle

Hence the name

Blinko Tue 13-Nov-18 11:27:13

So nothing to do with that poem about things that ^ gyre and gimble in the shade^? I think it's Jabberwocky.

GabriellaG Tue 13-Nov-18 11:31:14

Shades usually have a central swivel fitting that you can use up (for ceiling fitments, or down (as in my photo) for lamps.
Mine have always arrived complete with central fittings.
I'd send yours back and buy shades with fitting in situ and check with seller that they're complete before making purchase.

Oldwoman70 Tue 13-Nov-18 11:36:15

"A gimbal is a pivoted support that allows the rotation of an object about a single axis. A set of three gimbals, one mounted on the other with orthogonal pivot axes, may be used to allow an object mounted on the innermost gimbal to remain independent of the rotation of its support. For example, on a ship, the gyroscopes, shipboard compasses, stoves, and even drink holders typically use gimbals to keep them upright with respect to the horizon despite the ship's pitching and rolling."

I appreciate this is English but I don't understand a word!!

I find buying a light bulb confusing. These days I take the dead bulb along to my local electrical shop hand it over and say I want a new one!

trisher Tue 13-Nov-18 12:08:49

'Twas brillig and phoenix's shade
Doth lack a gimbal when t'was made
She's searched on line and on gransnet
Been sent advice but even yet
Her light's unshaded, shining bright
What should she do to get it right?

GabriellaG Tue 13-Nov-18 12:18:20

Why not keep the box for reference and order online from ebay or Amazon? Much much cheaper to buy 6, 10 or 12 at a time. Postage is usually free.

Blinko Tue 13-Nov-18 12:57:09

Like it, Trisher grin

Jalima1108 Tue 13-Nov-18 12:58:10


At least some of us have learnt a new word (well, I did!)

Jalima1108 Tue 13-Nov-18 12:59:06

It is confusing because why would you want a lampshade swinging around?

moggie57 Tue 13-Nov-18 13:11:56

frankly the company you bought the lampshades from should have supplied the bit you need ,take em back and get a refund.

jaclovesdogs Tue 13-Nov-18 13:39:21

Yes I noticed that Phoenix, all 3 links Blancal2 posted have absolutely nothing to do with lamps or gimbals. Was this a mistake Blancal2 ?

GabriellaG Tue 13-Nov-18 14:33:11


It's a catchall phrase. On ships, it swivels freely, on lampshades (as in my photo) you manually move it up or down and the movement is stiff (see the two metal joins, one at either side) and it doesn't freely swivel.

GreenGran78 Tue 13-Nov-18 14:58:29

Jalimal108 That programme never ceases to amaze me. While some of the 'conversions' are great, others are so ugly/weird that I can't imagine anyone wanting them at any price. The amounts that they sell for, too! The mind boggles. I remember Sarah cutting up an old wooden step-ladder and making rustic-looking boxes with the bits. She then planted them with a few bulbs, and sold them for a figure that was, frankly, impossible to believe.

Another 'gem' was a lamp made from an scruffy old petrol-can, which sold for several hundred pounds. I should be applying my time to doing up, and selling, old tat!

Buffybee Tue 13-Nov-18 15:23:28

Never heard of gimbals!
You learn something new every day
Thank You phoenix
Best of luck with the lamps ?

Ruby41 Tue 13-Nov-18 17:25:31

Almost totally irrelevant, I know, but do any other gransnetters remember a very trendy coffee bar called 'The Gyre and Gimble' in the Charing Cross area of London that I and my friends used to frequent in the olden days when coffee bars were the places to go?

Jalima1108 Tue 13-Nov-18 19:47:19

I've watched that programme a couple of times and thought 'who would buy that!!' - there was an extended sideboard with bright green ends on one programme.

But people do - and pay a lot of money for some of it.

I thought the glass bowl lamps were rather nice myself, but I wouldn't have paid £525 for them.

Thanks GabriellaG
I realise that I know what they are now grin but I never knew their name.

I just called it a 'lamp fitting'