Gransnet forums


Using AIBU for the second time!

(54 Posts)
phoenix Mon 12-Nov-18 19:56:57

blush I do try to avoid it!

Anyway, sending usual good wishes to all.

I ordered 2 lampshades from that place that some don't approve of. They have arrived, are the right colour and size, but I can't put them on my lamps because they need a "gimble/gimbal" (take your pick on spelling) confused

Ok, so on re-reading the listing, it does say "needs gimble, available separately" .

But it doesn't say WHERE !!! The suppliers website says that they don't supply to the public, but if I provide my postcode, they can recommend a "local" supplier!

Bet their idea of local is Exeter, which for me is not exactly round the corner.

I have googled to try to find what I need, but no luck sad

So, I have a pile of cardboard, and 2 lamps still shadeless.

Was so looking forward to getting my lamps up and working..........

(Yes, it's a first world problem)

Jalima1108 Mon 12-Nov-18 19:58:04

a gimble

wozzat? confused

Jalima1108 Mon 12-Nov-18 19:59:50

A gimbal is a pivoted support that allows the rotation of an object about a single axis. A set of three gimbals, one mounted on the other with orthogonal pivot axes, may be used to allow an object mounted on the innermost gimbal to remain independent of the rotation of its support. For example, on a ship, the gyroscopes, shipboard compasses, stoves, and even drink holders typically use gimbals to keep them upright with respect to the horizon despite the ship's pitching and rolling.

Do you live on a ship phoenix?
Or is your house a bit wonky? or on a fault line?

Why do you need a gimble, sorry gimbal?

Jalima1108 Mon 12-Nov-18 20:01:38

Advertising alert!

Baggs Mon 12-Nov-18 20:16:16

I didn't know those were called gimbals. Gimbal is a nice word. Chambers says it is pronounced jimbl (just so yous know!). Some lampshades come with one of them already attached. I don't think what's needed in houses is quite the same as nautical ones.

Willow500 Mon 12-Nov-18 20:22:56

Well that's a new one on me - still don't understand what it's for unless the shades are unsupported!

FlexibleFriend Mon 12-Nov-18 20:27:04

I've bought loads of lampshades and have never heard of one needing extra fittings and have to say none the wiser for googling it either.

Squiffy Mon 12-Nov-18 20:33:25

A sort of crinoline for lights!

sodapop Mon 12-Nov-18 20:38:35

I have never heard of shades needing these extra fittings, seems like a marketing ploy to me. Return them and tell them where to put their jimbls! !

FlexibleFriend Mon 12-Nov-18 20:42:34

Does the lampshade have the supporting structure in it already, wouldn't it collapse otherwise? Is it just the circular bit that holds the shade in place that's missing? You usually get two different sizes of them. I'm confused.

Iam64 Mon 12-Nov-18 21:00:44

phoenix, I sympathise. I know I know, we should support our shops and high street, those other places don't pay their taxes, work their employees into the ground and so on but- I've just ordered something on line. Emergency birthday gift. I just hope I don't fall foul of a similar disaster to yourself. If I do, I accept it will be entirely my own fault. Can you sort your difficulty?

phoenix Mon 12-Nov-18 21:11:11

Thank you all for the responses, appreciated as always. I could put up with being told on "that place" that the damn silly gimbals/gimbles/jimbls need to be ordered separately, but it would be quite nice to be given the opportunity to bloody order them!

Miffed of Shebbear.

merlotgran Mon 12-Nov-18 21:15:39

Can you post a pic of the lampshades, phoenix? Those frames look like you need to enrol on a lampshade making course. hmm

Elegran Mon 12-Nov-18 21:37:55

Isn't the gimbal the hinged bit that you get on lampshades for table and standard lamps, so that you can tilt them to shine onto your book/knitting/wine glass?

I thought the g was like the one in gimme, not the j in Jimmy.

phoenix Mon 12-Nov-18 21:48:30

Merlot, will have a go at posting a pic tomorrow, but basically they are just standard coolie shades but without the bit that you need to actually put them on a lamp!

phoenix Mon 12-Nov-18 21:57:34

This is the bigger one:

Auntieflo Mon 12-Nov-18 22:12:04

Phoenix, is this the sort of thing you are looking for?
John Lewis sell them.

Jalima1108 Mon 12-Nov-18 23:13:09

Sidetracking slightly, but did anyone see that programme on BBC1 this afternoon (I rarely watch daytime tv but today was an exception after a busy weekend). The presenters make something out of other people's junk.

The presenter found two of those huge glass bowls that we used to make indoor gardens in years ago and someone turned them into lamps and made snazzy shades for them. I think they sold for £525 for the two!

I'm sure we have one lurking behind the compost heap hmm

Jalima1108 Mon 12-Nov-18 23:13:50

If I did that, would I need a gimbal?

merlotgran Mon 12-Nov-18 23:17:16

Can you send it back? grin

blanca12 Tue 13-Nov-18 02:15:15

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

BBbevan Tue 13-Nov-18 06:22:03

I have just got two large lampshades from the place you mentioned Phoenix . They came with gimbles, but one didn't sit right. The company sent another, free of charge and said just keep the other. Quite good service I thought

TwiceAsNice Tue 13-Nov-18 07:08:46

Doesn't Amazon sell them separately ?

phoenix Tue 13-Nov-18 07:39:07

Morning all, I am now thinking that I might return them, and just start again.

After all, it should be fairly easy to find 2 coolie shades, 1 x 16" diameter, and 1 x 14", shouldn't it?

phoenix Tue 13-Nov-18 07:46:21

Blancal2 Your link has no relevance to the thread? Are you advertising?