Gransnet forums

AIBU

Thermostat!

(43 Posts)
Nannymags27 Tue 13-Nov-18 15:02:22

AIBU in wanting the heating tweaked up just a tad during the daytime? DH won’t have the heating on until the evening. I really don’t want to be in my own home with a thick sweater on all day! As I write, my nose is cold!!

BlueBelle Mon 24-Dec-18 18:57:51

Well I don’t have any central heating and I survive just fine my daughters thermostat is always on 15 or 16, it’s what you get used to isn’t it ? Her kids get really over heated if they re anywhere where it’s higher

tanith Mon 24-Dec-18 18:22:18

My heating is on permenantly it’s turned down to 15 at night and up to 18 if I’m just sitting about but mostly on 16/17 if I’m puttering around my house is warm .

Charleygirl5 Mon 24-Dec-18 15:02:56

My house is well insulated and my thermostat is set at 18 C and seems to work well for me. My gas bill last year was £316 and I do not stint but it is rarely on during the night unless I am worried that pipes may freeze.

FlexibleFriend Mon 24-Dec-18 14:41:32

My heating rarely goes on because my house is extremely well insulated and I'm quite a hot person. My son knows he can put it on if he's cold because left to me it won't go on and I'll soon turn it off if I'm too hot. We don't complain about the size of our bills so if you're happy to pay the increased cost turn it up but if you're going to moan when the bill comes in wear a jumper and be more active.

travelsafar Mon 24-Dec-18 14:03:21

Who gets the heating allowance in your house, you or him.If you do turn it up as much as you want if he does still do the same, he sounds like a Bah Humbug to me!!!

Culag Mon 24-Dec-18 13:35:39

In my experience no two thermostats/thermometers give the same reading. I have a few thermometers around the house, but if I swap them around they give different readings. My wi fi thermostat is in the coldest room and usually set at 19. The living room seems to get up to 21 by the evening.

Bisto Mon 24-Dec-18 12:49:29

Can I ask please what temperature you have your thermostats set at? We have a digital thermostat which can be moved from room to room but usually stays in the sitting room, at present it is set at 20 which I find about right, however it drops to 19.5 before it comes back on again and sometimes stays there for hours which I find a bit chilly. I don’t really want to turn it up as it will probably feel too warm even for me, but what do others find is a sensible temperature to set it at?

M0nica Sun 25-Nov-18 16:59:12

crazyH that used to be true when houses were poorly insulated, but nowadays, when even older houses will probably have double glazing and an insulated roof, that is not true.

MiniMoon Sun 25-Nov-18 11:32:18

DH and I have widely differing ideas about what is a comfortable heat! He must have been born in a barn, he turns the thermostat down and the house cools down until I'm cold. He doesn't feel it.

Craicon Sun 25-Nov-18 11:20:55

I don’t have a central thermostat either and my house is only a few years old. I do find it annoying and think I’ll get one installed this year. The radiators have thermostatic valves that I leave either fully open or switched off. The heating has a simple mechanical timer so it’s either on or off and I find myself switching it off when the rooms feel warm enough. Bizarrely, most of the houses we viewed (less than 10 years old) didn’t have a room thermostat either. It doesn’t seem to be a thing here. confused

Anja Sun 25-Nov-18 10:55:46

According to experts at the Energy Saving Trust, as well as British Gas, the idea that it's cheaper to leave the heating on low all day is a myth. ... (Using a timer's best, because your thermostat is designed to turn your heating on and off to keep your home at the temperature you set it.)
Energy Mythbusting - Money Saving Expert

petra Sun 25-Nov-18 10:51:39

CrazyH
Are you saying that your heating is set at 15 or there about?
That number only appears in the middle of the night when I'm asleep grin
In answer to your question: yes, it's cheaper to keep it on.

rockgran Sun 25-Nov-18 10:41:43

We both feel the cold more these days. If we stay at our son's house they are all in tee-shirts and we are in jumpers with gillets over them. Also - they have hard floors and we like our carpets. (.....I'm not really a dog lover but I encourage their dog to cuddle up!}

crazyH Sun 25-Nov-18 10:19:59

I don't know whether this is true or not, but I was told that keeping the heating on constantly at a temperature of about 15* is more economical than turn the heating on and off.....

harrigran Fri 16-Nov-18 06:57:59

Thermostats are no longer wall mounted and immediately identifiable, ours just looks like a small clock and stands on a lamp table in the lounge.
Our heating is on 24/7 but programmed to be warmer during the day than when we are in bed.

Luckygirl Thu 15-Nov-18 22:15:54

Let him sweat! - or wear his bathing trunks! It is miserable being cold. Silly man!

Blue45Sapphire Thu 15-Nov-18 22:05:18

If DH (who died in Feb) were here, the heating and fire would have been on since the beginning of September. He felt the cold dreadfully (so different from when we were first married and he loved the cold weather, and used to camp out in the snow!)
Now, I like to be warm, but I find I can manage without the fire, and the heating is on at a lower temperature; heating goes on when I get up in the morning and turn the thermostat up, and then again late afternoon, which warms the house through nicely. And if the cats sit on my lap, all the better! If I have visitors I obviously turn everything up so it's nice and cosy.

Lyndiloo Thu 15-Nov-18 02:06:17

Oh, my hubby and I are soooo different. He is a cold person, and I am a hot one. So many rows about the heating! And every time (in the winter) when I open a window, he shuts it. Drives me mad! And the heating is up so high, that I am sweating! Not good (for me).

Allegretto Wed 14-Nov-18 23:27:48

I was hanging out of bed all night and woke up roasting this morning. It turned out the heating had been left on all night by mistake.

Jomarie Wed 14-Nov-18 19:33:01

Sunnysusie we are the same !! Am fairly ambivalent about it nowadays but it used to drive me crazy when he went to work (4pm to midnight shift) leaving me and 3 children at home - and he had turned the heating off as he didn't need it!!!!

Melanieeastanglia Wed 14-Nov-18 19:15:00

Personally, I don't think you are being unreasonable but I suppose one person's "hot" is another person's "cold". Two people often think differently about heat.

Is your husband worried about cost?

M0nica Wed 14-Nov-18 17:43:24

Our timer/thermostat is free standing and we can move it around. Currently it lives in the study, where we spend most of our day time hours..

crazyH Wed 14-Nov-18 17:39:23

I can please myself. I can keep the heating on or off if I want to. That's because I don't have a husband / partner. Heating is one thing I won't Scrooge on . I have lung problems ....I need to be warm.

MawBroon Wed 14-Nov-18 17:02:55

My old boiler (replaced 10 years ago) was installed when the house was built in the 70’s and had a thermostat in the hall which is still in use.
The boiler thermostat is something else.

SunnySusie Wed 14-Nov-18 17:00:18

We have been playing the thermostat game for decades. OH walks past and turns it down, I walk past and turn it up. I put the fire on and he turns it off. I shut the windows and he opens them. He reckons he is normal and I say I am. Caught him out the other day though, he admitted the visitors who are currently sharing his office at work are sitting in overcoats.