Gransnet forums

AIBU

What irritates you?

(226 Posts)
NanKate Tue 13-Nov-18 21:45:30

I can be heard shouting at the TV when actors hold cups/mugs around the outside instead of using the handle properly.

Hugging a cushion elicits the same reaction from me.

Maggiemaybe Wed 14-Nov-18 09:32:04

Attention seekers on Facebook. Obviously not those with genuine problems. The sort who put out a cryptic message about feeling sad today (perhaps they’ve chipped a nail). Cue a stream of “You okay, hun?”, “Message me, hun”, “I’m here for you, hun”. And nary an explanation. Five minutes later they’re posting pictures of their fabulous food.

PamelaJ1 Wed 14-Nov-18 09:32:17

Almost everything.
I’m very intolerant ???

b1zzle Wed 14-Nov-18 09:42:04

People who 'waddle' in front of me in the high street - couples hand in hand; women two abreast with buggies/
shopping trollies.

HootyMcOwlface Wed 14-Nov-18 09:46:23

Oh yes Maggie i have a 'friend' who keeps posting pictures of very scantily clad daughters pouting like fish - I know she's waiting for all the 'gorgeous' 'beautiful' etc responses. Yuk. and that word "Hun" uuuurrrrgggghhhh makes me feel irrationally angry! grin

HootyMcOwlface Wed 14-Nov-18 09:47:25

Her adult daughters - it should read.

GrandmaPam Wed 14-Nov-18 09:49:41

Absolutely with you on this! Who on earth thought it was ever a good idea to sell nachos in the cinema! Come to that, sweets in wrappers - ban them all!

GrandmaPam Wed 14-Nov-18 09:50:44

Facebook....love it in many ways but amazed at how many 'friends' some people have! Makes me feel like a real Billy-no-Mates!

GreenGran78 Wed 14-Nov-18 09:51:29

Granny23 You should just ignore them! smile

Maggiemaybe Wed 14-Nov-18 09:51:35

Oh yes, Hooty, the trout pout! I’ve given up on selfies myself, having only managed a couple of DH and me looking stressed with necks at very odd angles. grin

Willow10 Wed 14-Nov-18 09:52:29

People talking on the phone at checkouts, completely ignoring the operator. Parents who spend more time checking the phone than talking to their children. Carers who take disabled and special needs people ten pin bowling then sit on the phone ignoring them for the whole session. People in the street, on public transport, in cars etc. who have such important lives they can't stay off the phone for a minute.

1n other words - mobile phones! angry

Nograndsyet Wed 14-Nov-18 09:53:52

I worked as an emergency dispatcher for 36 years. When I hear a phone ringing in a shop and nobody answers it, I get quite agitated and feel like shouting “ somebody answer that damn phone “ ??? I know nobody’s life is at stake but it’s in my blood ??.

People who stop for a chat ( with trollies) at the busiest bit in the supermarket, totally oblivious to the chaos they’re causing ?

People who are walking and talking on mobiles and not looking where they’re going ?

Charlieb Wed 14-Nov-18 09:55:57

People parking in disabled spaces.
In our village there is a road specially marked out for disabled drivers although most of the time you can’t park due to selfish people taking up spaces.
Usually to pop in for coffee or go shopping .
I have had lots of abuse from people when l mention it’s a disabled space ( clearly marked )
We have constantly had to drive around the block waiting for a space , I’m a wheelchair user so my hubby needs extra room to get wheelchair in and out of the car .
There are traffic wardens few and far between, I’ve even seen people go up to them and say is it ok to park I’ll only be ten minutes and they allow it.
Sorry for the rant but it makes my blood boil .
I would willingly change places with an abled bodied personangry
M

notgoneyet Wed 14-Nov-18 09:56:13

There was I thinking what a miserable git I am because ALL the things that annoy you all annoy me too, when I saw the post from DanniRae. And yes, aitch being pronounced as Haitch drives me absolutely bonkers. Television presenters, kids, just so many people seem to pronounce it that way these days.

Disgruntled Wed 14-Nov-18 09:56:19

I echo the posts about slurping and eating in the cinema, eating noisily - actually I should just say DITTO to everything. PLUS actors who pretend to take a drink and don't swallow; actors who swing [obviously empty] suitcases around - the stage manager should have put a brick in them.

Lilyflower Wed 14-Nov-18 09:57:38

I am more than irritated by people who sneeze in a public and broadcast way scattering germs amongst the populace. Colds are always dismissed as minor ailments when they can actually be serious and trigger further problems like asthma. The last three colds I have had have triggered chest infections, nights of sleeping upright with a cough that will never stop and asthma.

Izabella Wed 14-Nov-18 10:00:03

People who sneeze loudly making an exhibition of it.
People who leave a shop and stop dead in the entrance blocking it for everyone else.
People who get on a bus and then spend ages searching for cash/card or bus pass
On a very bad day ....... people grin

Wendiwoo Wed 14-Nov-18 10:00:14

Definitely knuckle-crackers, definitely “Haitch”ers, definitely those that can’t end a sentence without “D’yer know wot I mean” and definitely trout-pouters. Other than that I’m really easy going...most of the time!!!

oldgaijin Wed 14-Nov-18 10:00:56

Men who wear socks 'n sandals, men who scratch their bits, men with little purses...probably men, full stop.

Lilyflower Wed 14-Nov-18 10:01:32

Virtue signalling is pretty irritating, especially when from those who live hypocritically selfish lives like the green, 'planet-saving' fans who travel long haul, buy from coffee chains, have pets and more than two children and attend festivals. Those who spend half an hour in Waitrose berating others to place gilded unicorn eggs in the foodbank trolleys are not much better.

Grr!

EthelJ Wed 14-Nov-18 10:06:05

I'm afraid I tend to be a bit if a cushion hugger!. What irritates me on TV is when people are given huge meals play with it and then walk away with it all uneaten!
The other thing in TV dramas I feel very irritating is when people walk into their house and leave the door wide open. I find myself shouting, eat your food or don't forget the door! grin

LuckyFour Wed 14-Nov-18 10:08:12

People who say fanks, haitch, you know, myself (instead of I or me)., like (every other word). Generally people who don't talk like what I do!

shysal Wed 14-Nov-18 10:08:15

Motorists who don't indicate.

Supermarket shoppers who stand and watch all their purchases go through the checkout before starting to pack and then searching their handbag for card or cash. Why can't they be prepared?

The other side of the coin is the supermarket cashier who scans everything at high speed so that it piles up in the packing area - it doesn't make me bag any more quickly!

Litter louts. I walk through my village every morning and usually fill a carrier bag with empty cans, bottles, cigarette packets and food wrappers, some of which appear to have been thrown from moving cars. I know where all the bins are!

nannypiano Wed 14-Nov-18 10:11:15

Am I the only one aggravated by the throaty voices of some of the women on tv? I have to mute the sound to escape. Also been said before .. more and more interviewees starting sentences with the word SO !. Bad grammar also. Bought instead of brought, etc. And everything else already said.

lizzypopbottle Wed 14-Nov-18 10:18:04

Scribbles, out of five items that dropped through my letter box yesterday, only one was addressed to any of us. The rest was junk that went straight into the recycling bin. Royal mail get paid to push this unsolicited stuff into our homes but you can tell them to stop. I will one of these days ?

Nonnie Wed 14-Nov-18 10:23:29

Many of the above!

Also when I'm supposed to be able to read what's on a mobile phone on TV but we don't have, or want, a massive screen dominating our sitting room!

Not forgetting 'literally' used incessantly and wrongly. The other day on the bus overheard 'loudly I'm literally on the bus'