Gransnet forums

AIBU

Another new fad

(135 Posts)
pensionpat Sat 17-Nov-18 08:02:08

One which I really hate is the fashion for a “cake smash” at a very young child’s birthday party. A real cake, large and beautiful, is put on the floor, and the birthday child literally smashes it with their hands until it it completely demolished, inedible and they are covered in it. The child would have to be encouraged by adults and the whole thing is probably filmed as an amusing video on Facebook or YouTube.

Even worse, I have seen adverts for cake smash clothing.

Words fail me. Wrong on every level.

GabriellaG Sun 18-Nov-18 20:27:45

Nothing more than mindless 'amusement' for the brain dead in society.
Hey! Let's do it for granny's 70th.
Great idea mum, can I be the one to push her head in? grin

Apricity Sun 18-Nov-18 20:14:01

What happened to the days when a one year old happily jumped on a sandcastle or a mud pie at the end of the day? Or everyone got excited if they managed to blow out the single candle on the cake.

Celebrating "smashing" a birthday cake, whether home made or expensively purchased, is just insane. What values about the world does that demonstrate to a child, the family and friends who witness such a crass event and see the ghastly photos?

After setting the standard and arranging a "cake smash" for a toddler's first birthday what do you do for subsequent birthdays? Trash your room parties for 6 year olds followed by wreck the house extravaganzas for teens? And for adult parties what about a good old riot and street rampage? It's all just a bit of fun!!!! ????

Hopefully it's just a localised fad that will die a natural death when everyone realises just how stupid it is. ???

Sam1965 Sun 18-Nov-18 19:36:27

Should say 1st birthday

Sam1965 Sun 18-Nov-18 19:35:42

It’s normally for a child’s birthday...
They do the cake smash it’s photographed and a bath is then had and that is photographed special tutus or pants are worn ... professional ones can cost upwards of £800 ?
Shocking

icanhandthemback Sun 18-Nov-18 17:49:20

Just crazy!

GrammaH Sun 18-Nov-18 17:37:49

These cake smashes seem really popular with local photographers based in & around our county town on the Welsh borders. I think it's crazy but DDIL is a cake maker & is regularly asked to make them. She's not that keen on doing them but she needs to earn money and, as they're a good income source, she doesn't often turn them down.

specki4eyes Sun 18-Nov-18 17:26:02

I despair of some of the new generations' habits and what they find amusing.
Two of my grandchildren spent 20 minutes on Skype informing me of their preferred eating places and the menus. No mentioned was made of family meals at home!

Happysexagenarian Sun 18-Nov-18 16:55:57

My friend's daughter spent £130 on one of these cakes for her daughter's 2nd birthday. The cake was beautiful, looked like Cinderella, and must have taken many hours to make. When it was smashed it was hollow and filled with sweets. Most of it ended up on the floor trodden into the carpet. The doting mother put the photos on social media. My friend and I were horrified at the price and what happened to the cake. Utterly disgusting, wasteful and senseless!

Mapleleaf Sun 18-Nov-18 16:44:06

In a word - "pathetic"

Jalima1108 Sun 18-Nov-18 16:34:10

I look around me and the world has gone mad!

MissA All the world is mad but me and thee and I think I had better not finish the quotation grin

MissAdventure Sun 18-Nov-18 16:04:43

Its so contrived.
I really dislike anything like this.
I look around me and the world has gone mad!

Thirdinline Sun 18-Nov-18 15:53:05

The cakes can cost £100 as well!

nannyYvie Sun 18-Nov-18 15:36:24

I agree, a total waste of good food. I went to a photo shoot last year where my friend had booked a cake smash theme for her one-year old daughter. First, baby was given a wooden spoon, and encouraged to tuck in. She obviously didn't think it looked like food plus it was quite hard, so she was reluctant. She was then encouraged to smash with her hands, but she was totally confused and didn't want to play with it so started to cry. The photos turned out lovely though and at least mum got to take the giant cupcake home to eat normally.

librarylady Sun 18-Nov-18 15:27:59

If you follow the link to the article about 'wedding dress trashing' you can see that one poor woman was killed following this distasteful trend - went into a river, her (presumably) already heavy gown got soaked and she was swept away sad

Robertanthony Sun 18-Nov-18 15:24:17

Yes I am in England and this sort of destruction is creeping in everywhere. What happened to love and thanks!!

Jalima1108 Sun 18-Nov-18 15:20:17

I don't think so!
Piñatas have been around for centuries, they're not a new fad.

instagran Sun 18-Nov-18 15:13:22

Hitting a toy paper donkey (panata) with sticks to make toys come out once it has disintegrated is also a vile fashion. Don't the stupid parents realise it just teaches children that it's ok to hit animals?

moggie57 Sun 18-Nov-18 15:08:24

What a waste.make sure its clear that there will be NO cake smash.you are in charge not your child

Mycatisahacker Sun 18-Nov-18 14:56:30

Hideous idea. Any parent encourages this must be pretty thick and stupid. Whet an awful message to give to children.

Skye17 Sun 18-Nov-18 14:37:49

It’s such a horrible idea and so wasteful.

Luckygirl Sun 18-Nov-18 14:33:21

All this stuff makes me feel physically sick.

glammagran Sun 18-Nov-18 14:24:08

Never heard of this. Utterly appalling.

Elrel Sun 18-Nov-18 14:21:21

I guess someone's baby grabbed their 1st birthday cake and dived in. Everyone laughed, the photo/video went on Facebook and got lots of Likes. Those unable to think for themselves copied it and photographers and cake makers saw an opportunity to cash in. And so it became 'a thing'. How sad and pointless.
That photo of the mother (?) shoving her baby's face into a cake that the unaware little one was possibly admiring is horrible. I have an unworthy urge to shove the woman's face into something.

GabriellaG Sun 18-Nov-18 14:16:07

Mankind (and I make no apologies for making it gender specific) is rapidly going down the pan, indeed, we're 2/3rds there.

Nanny41 Sun 18-Nov-18 14:15:18

Not heard of it, I think its absolutely disgusting, nobody did badly after blowing out candles I dont think, but hey it might happen.