Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to think this is not on

(65 Posts)
Cambia Sat 17-Nov-18 12:50:25

My niece was visiting my mother with her six month old baby when he went floppy and she thought he had stopped breathing. My mother doesn’t drive and my niece could not let go of the baby to drive as she was trying desperately to revive him. Phoning the nearest help, the local surgery, they were told that they couldn’t help as he was not registered and it would take too long to fill forms out before seeing him. They had to ring 999. A paramedic came from over twenty miles away and an ambulance from over thirty miles. Fortunately in the meantime a neighbour stepped in and sponged the baby down and he started to revive whilst my niece got advice on the phone from 999 services.

The end result was that he was taken to hospital diagnosed with tonsillitis and febrile convulsions from a high temperature and released in the evening.

How much worse could this have been if he had stopped breathing and there was such a time delay in getting help. Surely the surgery should have sent a doctor or nurse straight up, it was literally five minutes away.

Has common sense really deserted us?

moggie57 Sun 18-Nov-18 15:06:14

Maybe you take a first aider training course.or stop the car and call 999 for help.never mind abt doctor 999 is first option

Legs55 Sun 18-Nov-18 15:07:25

Hm999 the distance described by OP is common in rural areas, better to use 999 or 111 for an adult unless it's an emergency. The call handlers can advise, despatch help whilst talking to the caller. First Responders are also available in many rural areas, they may be sent to initially help whilst Paramedic/Ambulance is on it's way.

Jalima1108 Sun 18-Nov-18 15:24:44

Have you not an Out of Hours Surgery number?
Have you ever tried using that service mabon1?

It's best not to mess around with Out of Hours, 111 service or a local GP surgery if a baby has stopped breathing!

starbox Sun 18-Nov-18 15:38:38

It seems GP surgeries do nothing and just pass buck to paramedics. My own experience last week: after starting a physically demanding job, I'd been experiencing tightness in chest/ left arm. NHS website said it should be checked out so walked round to surgery (phoning's impossible) to see if I could have an appointment- not same day, just whenever. Receptionist very dismissive "ring 111 if it's urgent. If not come back tomorrow at 830 am." Went next door to pharmacy, who also agreed I should see a GP (sounds like angina.) Receptionist told me to go away. So I went home and rang 111- and they sent out an emergency team! Who did all the tests in my living room (great service, but hardly economic!) and said 'you're OK now but you should see a GP. It sounds like angina." I explained I couldnt get an appointment so they rang for me...much holding on, answerphones...and then receptionist said they'd get a GP to speak to them in 20 mins. So (I kid you not) 2 paramedics sat in my living room for an hour in total, eating biscuits & waiting on the surgery. And the result? I saw a GP that evening, got referred on...just what I'd been requesting in first place!!! No wonder NHS in such a mess.

marionk Sun 18-Nov-18 15:54:01

Surely 999 should have been the first thought in the mother’s head when her baby went floppy!

specki4eyes Sun 18-Nov-18 17:34:44

Back in 1971 when my son was a month old I took him to my GP on Christmas Eve because he was unable to feed owing to a cold virus. My GP checked him thoroughly and said he's OK don't worry he'll get over it. (Note no Calpol prescribed ) I expressed concern that he may be worse on Christmas Day. GP said no problem just bring him over if you're worried (he lived at the surgery). Of course he got better and I had no need to take him, but what a difference that attitude is to those of today's health service

MissAdventure Sun 18-Nov-18 17:39:34

There is a difference between not being well and a medical emergency though.
A first convulsion is an emergency!

codfather Mon 19-Nov-18 00:13:14

Why on Earth did you phone the surgery? Most surgeries take ages to get through to a receptionist! In an emergency, you phone 999 where you will get an instant response not wait your turn in a telephone queue!

Emergency operators are trained to get the necessary service as quickly as possible and offer advice in the meantime.

Life-threatening emergencies, you dial 999, less threatening or out of ours, dial 111 who will also put you through to 999 if necessary.

newnanny Mon 19-Nov-18 00:20:41

Glad baby is OK now. If they have a temperature stripping them except nappy and sponging down with cool water often helps. If really high temperature frozen peas wrapped in tea towel on their head.

Daisyboots Mon 19-Nov-18 08:54:07

I only came across a febrile convulsion when my 8th child was a toddler. He passed out at the dinner table. Had I kniwn about them and than it is usually because they become too hot when feeling unwell (said by paramedic) I wouldnt have wrapped him in a duvet making matters worse. Maybe if febrile conbulsions were discussed with pregnant women or at baby clinics we would know what to do if one happened. Strip the child and wipe with cool water to bring the temperature down.

Jalima1108 Mon 19-Nov-18 15:02:41

I heard this over 50 years ago; hold them in a cool to lukewarm bath (not cold) and sponge their heads with the water.

Drwatfam Mon 19-Nov-18 23:02:17

In 1985 I moved to my current town to join my husband . He'd got a job that was to last 2 years. We had a 3 year old and a 6 month old and I worried about moving our son from his first school
We were , and remain, the only part of the family to move away from our home in NE England .
I did not like this town. I always wanted to go home.
After 2 years my husband's job became permanent. It was an excellent, well paid post. We went on to have another 2 children . We live in a lovely 4 bed house with a huge garden . I have been able to pursue my own career. I have good friends. My husband is a good and loving man .
I have huge amounts to be grateful for .
However, I have always wanted to go home.
The kids grew up . They went to uni. They did not come back . One went south. 3 went to Edinburgh.
My parents aged. My Dad died . We retired . We thought about moving nearer to Mam. She died unexpectedly in June this year. I miss her so much .
I so , so want to move ... either nearer my kids or , perhaps, to Newcastle, where my sister lives ( & who wants me there ) & where the main train line both north and south are accessible.
At the moment I'm spending half my time on trains , visiting and helping the kids.
Husband is retired. When I try to talk about what or where he wants to be ( given he has few friends here cos he is a very quiet chap) all he ever says is , " I want to be with you !"
If I keep quiet then he assumes that all is well and says and does nothing.
I can see me dying here , being buried in the local cemetery and having spent my whole life in a place I didn't ever want to be because I am a good and loyal wife.
I have no idea what to do . The kids visit ; they try to raise the subject. My husband has diabetes with eye problems. He has arthritis and, earlier this year I fractures my ankle really badly. I'm ok but I limp . I can't care for our massive garden( & I mean bigger than most anyone ever imagined, I promise ) alone
We've spent little on the house in the last 20 years , having supported 4 kids through 5 degrees and 2 lots of bible college. We need a new kitchen , lots of decorating etc . I don't want to spend money on somewhere I don't want to be .
Hubbie seems totally happy to do little. The kids try to raise the subject of moving. Once they go home the silence descends .
I just do not know what to do or how to cope . I don't want to be a nag or make hubby unhappy. He knows how I feel but, I think , unless I keep on and on he just thinks/ hopes / pretends I'm ok and have " forgotten" about this .
I'm 62 and not ready for popping off yet but I fear I will die with everything unchanged....indeed , most of the time , the only way out is dying .....
What on earth do I do ?
Am I wrong / selfish/ ungrateful ?
Should I shut up and sit here knitting for the next 30 years to stop everyone else being upset ?
I feel like ending my life at times because it is such a trap .
What on earth do I do ?

Nannarose Tue 20-Nov-18 07:59:30

Drwatfam - can I suggest that you copy your post and move it into a new thread - or ask Gransnet to help you re-direct it?
You've put your dilemma on to the end of a thread about medical emergencies & GP access (although the title wouldn't have indicated that) and you won't really get any helpful replies tucked away here.There are some GNetters who have experienced your situation first or second hand and may have some helpful things to say if you start a thread.

Drwatfam Tue 20-Nov-18 08:48:50

Thank you Nannarose . This is the first time I've posted . I realised as soon as I'd pressed the post button that it was in the wrong place.....just couldn't work out how to move it ! I'll give it a go ! Xxx