Gransnet forums

AIBU

Not buying Cadbury's

(48 Posts)
trisher Mon 19-Nov-18 10:30:39

I've stopped buying Cadbury's chocolate. As the company that owns it shut the Somerdale factory and haven't paid any corporation tax in the UK this year I feel they have hi-jacked a brand name for pure profit.
www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/cadbury-chocolate-mondelez-no-corporation-tax-paid-uk-profit-a8578951.html
Is it unreasonable to expect that such an iconic name is used with respect and that a company pays its proper dues?

Wheniwasyourage Mon 19-Nov-18 10:40:55

Oh dear, another one to avoid! I've been boycotting Nestle for years because of the baby milk scandal, and have certainly cut down on Cadbury's since they were taken over. At least Fair Trade chocolate, like Divine, is very good, and as it's more expensive, I don't buy so much of it, which is good for the waistline.

Nonnie Mon 19-Nov-18 10:43:33

I won't buy anything Nestle because of the way they treat the environment with contempt. They don't treat their staff well either.

Not sure I blame any company which finds a legal way to avoid paying tax though because they have a responsibility to their shareholders. I think there is work going on internationally to reform tax systems to make them fairer but that could take years

EllanVannin Mon 19-Nov-18 11:01:50

I don't like Cadbury's chocolate. Belgian/Swiss is better or Thornton's.

DoraMarr Mon 19-Nov-18 11:12:03

As a Brummie I was very disappointed when Cadbury’s was taken over. I’m torn between wanting to boycott it, and supporting a business which employs thousands of fellow Brummies.

BlueBelle Mon 19-Nov-18 11:20:17

I m ok, don’t like chocolate

Ailsa43 Mon 19-Nov-18 11:22:40

I won't be buying cadbury's or nestle, because of their massive use of Palm Oil... and now this unpaid tax situation, and also apart from that , since the American's took over Cadbury the chocolate is disgusting

humptydumpty Mon 19-Nov-18 11:39:36

It's so sad what has happened to Cadbury's, it was an iconic British brand. What a pity they sold out.

Jalima1108 Mon 19-Nov-18 11:42:35

No, not unreasonable at all trisher
I have tried to avoid Cadbury's since they got taken over by Kraft and shut down the factory at Keynsham.

I hadn't realise that Thornton's had been taken over by an Italian company either.
Is nothing sacred?

Blinko Mon 19-Nov-18 13:05:13

I haven't bought (or knowingly eaten) Cadburys since the Americans took over. The quality has really gone down the pan. No thanks. There are so many excellent chocolatiers out there to choose from now.

EllanVannin Mon 19-Nov-18 13:26:50

The " Rose's " ones are foul ! Remove the lid of one of those round containers------it reeks enough to put you right off. I'm so glad that I at least haven't lost my sense of smell.

PamelaJ1 Mon 19-Nov-18 16:31:01

We have a chocolate factory in our town so I can support local workers and get a bargain.
I expect I’d better check to see if they tick the other boxes.
We should have a thread on here that lists ethical companies that we can use.

Chewbacca Mon 19-Nov-18 17:09:08

Not eaten Cadbury's chocolate for years - vile stuff. I agree with EllanVannin, just taking the lid off a box of Roses is enough to make me heave; the stench is horrible.

Nicest chocolate, by a country mile, is Lidl and Aldi. Smooth, crisp and not too sweet.

MiniMoon Mon 19-Nov-18 17:19:40

Most of the chocolate we buy comes from Hotel Chocolat, or the Chocolate tasting club. Cadbury 's is awful since it was bought but the American company.

trisher Mon 19-Nov-18 18:27:57

I was looking at the selection boxes for my GCs then realised they are mostly Cadbury's, so they won't do!

Jalima1108 Mon 19-Nov-18 19:26:06

I've just realised I did buy some Cadbury's Advent Calendars the other day without thinking; they went into the food bank and I think I should have gone to Lidl as I agree, their chocolate is much nicer.

EllanVannin Mon 19-Nov-18 19:40:12

Hershey's chocolate is vile too.

Jalima1108 Mon 19-Nov-18 19:54:23

I've never tried Hershey's and never heard a good report about it.
Chocolate sent or produced overseas in warmer climes contains an ingredient which stops it melting, so losing that melt-in-the-mouth sensation.

Chewbacca Mon 19-Nov-18 20:13:18

American chocolate is, by and large imo, inedible. Tastes like it's been mixed with axle grease.

sodapop Mon 19-Nov-18 20:36:56

BlueBelle have you had counselling, how can you possibly not like chocolate 😀

Hotel Chocolat and the chocolate we get here in France are good.

NfkDumpling Mon 19-Nov-18 20:39:35

One square of Green and Blacks for me after dinner is my treat. (American chocolate is ‘orrible!)

Baggs Mon 19-Nov-18 20:44:21

I keep a big slab of Cadbury's Dairy Milk hidden in a shoe box so I can have a few squares when I need them. I like Hotel Chocolat chocs too but they are so rich they can be too much. They are also expensive.

I used to keep a box of Maltesers in an under bed drawer for emergency night time scoffing. That must be thrity-five years ago though.

Hershey's is horrible. It's candy, not chocolate. Thornton's too sweet.

Baggs Mon 19-Nov-18 20:45:50

Is Nestlé still selling baby formula milk in countries where people don't have clean water to make it with? I thought that had stopped.

Baggs Mon 19-Nov-18 20:46:32

If it hasn't stopped what use has the boycott been?

Nonnie Tue 20-Nov-18 09:01:36

Baggs I heard recently that Nestle was doing it again. Did you know they are taking water out of the ground in poor villages in Pakistan and selling it back to the people? There is also a campaign against them.taking water out without a licence in California. They are a very unethical company, I am very careful.not to buy any of their products which reminds me I must check if they still.have a stake in L'Oreal.