Gransnet forums

AIBU

Not buying Cadbury's

(49 Posts)
trisher Mon 19-Nov-18 10:30:39

I've stopped buying Cadbury's chocolate. As the company that owns it shut the Somerdale factory and haven't paid any corporation tax in the UK this year I feel they have hi-jacked a brand name for pure profit.
www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/cadbury-chocolate-mondelez-no-corporation-tax-paid-uk-profit-a8578951.html
Is it unreasonable to expect that such an iconic name is used with respect and that a company pays its proper dues?

harrigran Tue 20-Nov-18 09:01:47

I haven't bought Cadbury chocolate for many years, I don't really know anyone who does. Aldi sell chocolate that is superior in taste.
Someone somewhere must be buying a lot of their products for them still to be a thriving company.

Bellasnana Tue 20-Nov-18 09:13:03

I agree Cadbury’s doesn’t taste the same as it did, but I still buy it. I love chocolate.?

kittylester Tue 20-Nov-18 09:32:06

A post Sainsbury's treat for me is a bar of Cadbury's wholenut! blush

CocoPops Wed 21-Nov-18 02:48:25

I do not buy any chocolate that contains palm oil. Googling various brands has identified some nice palm oil free chocs. though.
I also managed to find alternative palm oil free toothpaste, shampoo and soap. Surprised at the mass of foods using the dammed stuff.

watermeadow Wed 21-Nov-18 07:02:28

A relative works for Mondeleez (can’t spell it) the evil American monster which took over Cadbury.
It’s now made with palm oil instead of milk, is twice as sweet but has no chocolate flavour, just like America’s foul Hershey’s or their foul black Oreos.
I don't buy Cadbury’s, There are lots of nicer chocolates.

sunseeker Wed 21-Nov-18 07:43:05

I haven't bought Cadbury chocolate since they went back on their promise not to close the Keynsham factory.

Auntieflo Wed 21-Nov-18 08:16:21

Oh dear, I bought a couple of small bars of Cadbury's 'Dark Milk' chocolate recently. Then I tried it yesterday, not nice at all. I thought it tasted odd somehow, and it is just as Chewbacca described it , axlegrease! I used to love it.
I don't like Thorntons chocs either. Lidl's dark choc is quite nice, but I haven't got a favourite at the moment, oh, except Lindt Chili is nice.

ayse Wed 21-Nov-18 09:50:55

I never did like Cadbury Milk but as a child loved Bournville, Black Magic etc. so l’m a dark chocolate lover. I haven’t bought Cadbury since they were taken over and moved production. I tried a little not so long ago but it was disgusting. Nothing like the real thing!
I also remember when Terry’s did beautiful dark chocolates for adults - Cointreau and Benedictine creams, and really scrumptious chocolate. These lovely boxes disappeared some time ago. Such luxury! They were taken over and now not even a dark chocolate orange - their chocolate changed too.
I’m with lots of others. Aldi and Lidl chocolate is great value for money and very tasty, especially the dark varieties. Thornton’s dark is not too bad but if I can afford it give me Hotel Chocolate. I even like some of the milk chocolate.
I do wish that it was still possible to buy chocolates in those beautiful old-fashioned caskets, sets of drawers etc. that were all part of the luxury. We used to re-use those boxes for keeping keepsakes, sewing stuff, jewellery and as a child I enjoyed those boxes as much as the chocolate. All those little sweet cases made of paper and all the waste could be re-cycled.
All manufacturers should pay tax on their good where they sell them and should not be allowed to keep the name unless the recipe remains the same!

Nanabilly Wed 21-Nov-18 10:23:58

I do still eat Cadbury but it's definitely not as yummy as it used to be . I do prefer Aldi chocolate but don't go in there very often.
Has anyone tried the marks and Spencer Swiss chocolates.my husband was given a huge box last Christmas and they were the best chocolates we have had in a long time.
We hate Thornton s chocolate n this house but love the toffee.

David1968 Wed 21-Nov-18 11:14:18

Aldi sell some excellent Fair-Trade chocolate - it's toooooo yummy.....

newnanny Wed 21-Nov-18 13:42:46

Trisher I am so glad I am not the only one to boycott Cadbury chocolate because they don't pay tax. I told my dc there would be no more Cadbury chocolate in my house and got accused of being on a crusade. I won't use Amazon either. If we all did this they might think again.

newnanny Wed 21-Nov-18 13:45:08

Ayse you can still get dark chocolate oranges in Morrison's.

ayse Wed 21-Nov-18 13:49:06

New nanny, thank you. I’ll have a look next time I go in

watermeadow Fri 23-Nov-18 19:19:22

newnanny I’m another shopper with principles and saddened by all the friends and family who use Amazon “because it’s so cheap/easy/quick”
The list of things to boycott grows ever longer but it’s good to feel you’re doing what you can.

Nonnie Sat 24-Nov-18 11:12:33

I've just posted on another thread that I Googled whether Cadburys had changed the recipe for their chocolate and they haven't! Apparently they changed the look by rounding off corners and that started a social media storm of people saying it tasted different. Apparently they have used palm oil in it for many years too. Interesting that reading something on social media makes us believe that something tastes different.

Must try Aldi chocolate with so many saying how good it is.

EllanVannin Sat 24-Nov-18 11:26:39

Ayse,I remember those delicious chocolates of the 50's. Terrys made the one with the little drawers in the box. Black Magic was lovely too with their fillings. I know Caleys was around at that time but if I remember rightly they were milk chocolates and not as appealing.
Proper boxes of Turkish Delight----wooden boxes. Then the crystalized fruits which were also in wooden boxes.
Stuff now is so mass-produced that nothing is done on a personal level it's all the same inferior ingredients. Terrys of York went to great lengths with their chocolates and the presentation of them. Nestle's weren't too bad but not in the same class as Terrys were.
I can't stand Cadburys and even Thorntons has changed as I used to buy thick blocks of broken dark chocolate years ago and it was lovely but again due to the masses something has to give and that's the quality of everything.

lemongrove Sat 24-Nov-18 12:49:06

Baggs I always have emergency Maltesers stashed somewhere.grin
Cadburys chocolates are simply awful, have been for years, so must be the palm oil.
Thorntons aren’t much better either.
So, which is better, Aldi chocs or Lidl?

lemongrove Sat 24-Nov-18 12:51:30

DD has stopped buying choc oranges, bland and greasy, so palm oil is definitely the culprit.Who’s not so bright idea was it to start using the foul stuff instead of dairy?

Nonnie Sat 24-Nov-18 15:59:23

lemon its been around for a very long time but people only know about it now as the labeling rules have changed. Now we all know its there, previously we didn't,

lemongrove Sat 24-Nov-18 18:07:48

It’s a very long time since I liked anything made by Cadbury Nonnie at some point they changed the recipe, put palm oil in ( or more palm oil) as the taste became sweet and greasy.I may only have liked it until about 1975 because it really is years and years since I bought it.grin
On the other hand, I did used to like Terry’s choc Orange,
But again,some years ago it began to taste different, blander, oily etc.

ayse Sat 24-Nov-18 18:21:34

EllanVannin, I’m so glad someone else remembers those beautiful chocolates. Currently, I either buy Aldi or Lidl for the most part. Divine chocolate is good too and free trade as well. I’ve looked in Fenwicks at the chocolate (also the cakes) but have not bought any.
I used to buy Turkish Delight in those wooden boxes and I have seen them more recently. I used to buy the Thornton dark ginger bars, so yummy.
I lived in Turkey for a bit and could buy beautiful Turkish Delight loose in the market. Tesco owned stores also sold dark chocolate Mars bars and they were so much better than the ones we can get here. I think the Turkish folk must have preferred dark chocolate.

Jalima1108 Sat 24-Nov-18 22:35:04

I found some chocolate in Lidl the other day made by the Scottish firm that makes nice icecream - Mackies. I have yet to try it.

Nonnie Sun 25-Nov-18 09:39:37

Lemon the piece I read was only about changes since Kraft took over, not as far back as your (better than mine!) memory goes.

Seem to be a lot of chocolate connoisseurs on here, must make that trip to Aldi.