Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU School Play do other grandparents get invited?

(127 Posts)
sazz1 Wed 21-Nov-18 00:33:20

Son and girlfriend have 2 children age 10 and 6. This year I started thinking that we never get invited to the school nativity play for either DGC. We also don't get invited to any birthday parties either just told we can call in for coffee and cake in the evening or the next day. Son brings the children to see us every 2 or 3 weeks sometimes DIL comes with them. My MIL was invited to all birthday parties and school plays etc even though I disliked her. What do others think. I usually learn if they are ill, going for a day trip, or in the Nativity Play from Facebook which is not really very good.

Jalima1108 Wed 21-Nov-18 12:29:11

ps Perhaps it is different for us because quite often neither parent can attend.

Anja Wed 21-Nov-18 12:34:28

eazybee

^(You forgot to mention sitting on uncomfortable chairs.)
I am sure you can show us all how it should be done^

I did in fact mention thr uncomfortable chairs but yes, I can show you how it’s done. You sort of hover above the chair and then lever yourself in using your elbows gently to create a space (if the two chairs on either side are already occupied) otherwise you just plonk yourself down.

Happy to help you out anytime ?

Anja Wed 21-Nov-18 12:36:49

PS All four school plays I attend have either a special afternoon for grandparents or run over a few days. Tickets are limited to 4 per child, except the secondary school which has a proper theatre set up and can cater for thousands.

Jalima1108 Wed 21-Nov-18 12:37:55

don't forget that the chairs are always much lower than you think!

Jalima1108 Wed 21-Nov-18 12:38:37

tickets
we've never had to have tickets

Anja Wed 21-Nov-18 12:40:48

Jalima I often turn up with the wrong tickets and have to blag my way in!

mabon1 Wed 21-Nov-18 13:05:51

Limited number of tickets for my grandson's school Christmas event.

Telly Wed 21-Nov-18 13:24:13

I have been a couple of times, but there is the only 2 tickets per child policy. However all GC are now past that stage.

Purpledaffodil Wed 21-Nov-18 13:35:23

Having been involved in many Christmas productions as teacher and parent, I would say “Count your blessings “.
Even our church school only puts on a Nativity play with KS1 and Reception. And as for children’s parties....mayhem!

luluaugust Wed 21-Nov-18 13:41:17

I was lucky enough to go to some of the DGC Nativity productions as their parents couldn't get time off and OH and I stood in. The nice thing is we have the memories. Usually there are only 2 tickets per family the easiest thing would be to ask if there is any chance of going, nothing ventured.... but be prepared for the above explanation. We only went to the DGC Birthday parties when they were very small at 10 and 6 I would expect them to be out with friends and a cup of tea and cake is what we hope for and what we get with those near by.

Dancinggran Wed 21-Nov-18 13:46:10

I used to invite my mum to my children's Christmas concerts but as I work full-time I have rarely been to any of my grandchildrens and like many others there has normally been a 2 ticket limit due to size of hall. As far as parties are concerned I'd rather not go to the Play Centres many are now held in...mayhem and bedlam are two words that spring to mind!!

M0nica Wed 21-Nov-18 15:06:27

We have never seen DGC in school plays or any event at school as tickets are usually strictly limited to just parents or parents plus 1.

However DGC do dancing and drama as out of school activities and their shows are in bigger venues and we do go north to see those. These are usually paid ticket shows and we always buy our own tickets.

Humbertbear Wed 21-Nov-18 16:51:21

My GC have a separate tea party for grandparents on their birthdays. As to school plays, I’m glad not to have to sit through them! Mostly, there is no room. It’s 2 tickets per family and frankly, I’m not bothered at all.
My oldest GD texts me every morning on her way to school. That’s more important and meaningful.

EllanVannin Wed 21-Nov-18 17:05:06

I was kindly invited to a nativity in Australia while staying there because the youngest GS happened to tell his teacher that his " nan from England " was staying so with two nan's and my daughter we were welcomed. I had my video with me but wasn't allowed to use it sad

Katyj Wed 21-Nov-18 17:22:43

Think what your really saying sazzl, is you don't feel included in anything, when your invited round to theirs for cake , it just seems a token gesture so your not excluded from everything.I totally get where your coming from, we have this with one son, minus the cake ! I don't think there's much you can do, only try to strengthen your relationship you and ask them over to your house occasionally or maybe suggest a meal out .Good luck.

Melanieeastanglia Wed 21-Nov-18 20:20:57

As other people have said, most schools don't have unlimited space and often only two tickets per family are given out.

Jalima1108 Wed 21-Nov-18 20:34:29

As to school plays, I’m glad not to have to sit through them!

perhaps the school doesn't pick the right plays.
Some of the plays are hilarious

Deedaa Wed 21-Nov-18 22:07:24

Our primary school puts on several performances of their plays so I get to see most or them. I usually pop in for tea and cake during the birthday parties.

Marthjolly1 Thu 22-Nov-18 00:43:39

It was made quite clear to me by my DD that I am expected to attend the nursery nativity. I live 350 miles away. DGD is 3 and will make an appearance as the donkey. 4 other GPs, 2 aunts and 1x uncle will also be there. Lucky for them they live locally to the event. I'm sure it will be lovely but don't really think I'd be missed but hey ho, keeping the peace

notanan2 Thu 22-Nov-18 02:27:36

Oh gosh no we have family cake & separate school friends party. Believe me you have the best end of the bargain if its the family cake party you are invited to!

I could not host family AND manage 20 sugar high kids. I tried once and it was a disaster.

Only the VIPs get invited round for cake anyway wink theres nothing special about being invited to an all class party!

And its not "standard" either. You only occasionally see GPs at the LordOfTheFlies all class parties. Most people do family cake separately.

Marmight Thu 22-Nov-18 06:08:37

I've never been to any of the GCs nativity plays but have occasionally attended (excruciatingly long) concerts. Once your little darling has done his/her bit you have to suffer sit through, another hour or 2 listening to other people's little dear's performances?. However, this year one of my dgs is playing the Arc Angel Gabriel, yes, the boss Angel with the big wings, so I am being allocated a ticket (and a 5 hour round trip for the pleasure). I, of course, will be the proudest Granny in the school

MawBroon Thu 22-Nov-18 06:43:35

For everybody’s sake, not like this I hope! ?
Bless her, her granny must have been proud at least (if she wasn’t hiding under her chair)
Make sure your sound is turned ON and enjoy gringrin

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpsXNlarAk8
(Tears in my eyes??)

Marmight Thu 22-Nov-18 07:01:10

I hope not! I'd be off up the road ??

Blue45Sapphire Thu 22-Nov-18 07:38:57

DGDs' school only usually allows two tickets per family, and I get invited if either mum or dad can't go because of work. I get an invite to everything else outside of school they are in. Used to go to their parties when they were younger, but family usually get together for a meal out these days.

Buzzkaue Thu 22-Nov-18 09:53:35

Children in a lot of schools are only allowed 2 tickets .for school plays ,

I would just say .can we pop over at the party , can lend a hand ,