Gransnet forums

AIBU

Bouquet of flowers - light-hearted observation!

(63 Posts)
vickymeldrew Fri 30-Nov-18 08:06:57

On the occasional times my DH gives me flowers, he brings them home and removes all the wrapping before plonking them in the nearest vase. AIBU to be disappointed as I would prefer to unwrap and arrange them myself?

SparklyGrandma Sat 01-Dec-18 01:48:15

I have to send flowers to myself these days. Don’t bite the giver.

Witzend Sat 01-Dec-18 08:31:03

It wouldn't occur to my dh to put them in a vase himself, not that he buys me any more than once or twice a year.

Having said that, I was beyond moved last year when he came home with a lovely bouquet for me. It wasn't my birthday or Valentine's Day or anything - the usual occasions - so I was (in the nicest possible way) bemused.

Turned out that it was a Very Big Anniversary of the day we met. I couldn't believe he'd made a note of it. I still remember the day very well, but wouldn't have had a clue about the date.
Bless him.

Howjado Sat 01-Dec-18 08:47:52

Can I just say those lovely daffs on the roadside have been planted by someone (our parish council in my village) for us all to enjoy!

ReadyMeals Sat 01-Dec-18 09:30:38

Lol mine's never bought me flowers. The only times I get flowers are when a neighbor wants to thank me for something, which is a lovely surprise when it happens. But I am not really sentimental about flowers, and I have a happy marriage so I am content.

ecci53 Sat 01-Dec-18 09:31:14

My husband has given me flowers once in 27 years. He came home from work with them and explained they'd been sent to a colleague as a 'sorry' by her boyfriend. The colleague threw them in the bin, so DH rescued them and brought them home for me!

NannyG123 Sat 01-Dec-18 10:02:54

My husband occasionally comes home from shopping with flowers and quickly takes the whoops sticker off .? it's the thought that counts.

LadyGracie Sat 01-Dec-18 10:34:44

Yes, be grateful you get flowers, my DH could plonk away, he wouldn't think to buy me flowers, ever, plonking is all I do when I buy my own grin

Sandigold Sat 01-Dec-18 10:37:23

Perhaps he is a bit shy? Of course presenting them to you would be more romantic. Does he know it would mean as lot to you if he did it s little differently? Could be part of a general discussion about what makes each of you feel loved. There is s great book, The 5 Languages of Love, which is quite fun and enlightening on this sort of thing. flowers

GabriellaG Sat 01-Dec-18 10:41:09

I much prefer to buy my own flowers. I get exactly what I want when I want from Freddie's Flowers a London based service who have them picked late and they arrive 24 hrs later in a huge box with ideas for displaying them to best advantage. They last for weeks as the stems are at least 2.5 ft long.

Bathbelle Sat 01-Dec-18 11:25:22

Yes Vicky I do feel you’re being a little unreasonable. Let him give you the flowers and arrange them if he wants to,he thinks he is doing something nice for you. You can always rearrange them when you change the water. My husband has only given me flowers once in 35 years, because I told him to. Think yourself lucky!

mabon1 Sat 01-Dec-18 11:28:02

Enjoy your gift, re-arrange them when your husband is not around you lucky woman, stop moaning!

Lilyflower Sat 01-Dec-18 11:41:08

My husband did not even buy me flowers on Valentine's day. He is sitting at the table looking at his iPad and grumbling about every single thing he sees. I have asked him to stop but it goes on and on...

grannymary Sat 01-Dec-18 11:56:28

Like ninathenana DH often brought me flowers but would leave them in water in the kitchen sink to ‘surprise’ me. I would have loved for him to put them in a vase but he never did. Since his death last year I’ve had to buy my own flowers and wish I had appreciated those supermarket chrysanths or carnations more

pixie601 Sat 01-Dec-18 11:59:46

Talk to him for goodness sake and be grateful he thinks to buy you flowers.

Polskasue Sat 01-Dec-18 12:01:35

I had flowers from my husband every Saturday morning and he never removed the reduced sticker from them! I never complained as he had always got up earlier than me to go and do the dreaded supermarket shop. Bless him.

Stella14 Sat 01-Dec-18 12:19:40

Just tell him you’d like to unwrap them yourself!

Hatpev Sat 01-Dec-18 12:24:05

My husband has always insisted that flowers equate with guilt so he does not need to give them. He did get some for me when our children were born but other than that........

newnanny Sat 01-Dec-18 12:48:19

When we go shopping dh usually says would you like to choose some flowers? However i have trained dh and both ds to always buy me pink stargazer lillies if they can find them, failing that any pink lily with gypsophelia. I like it best when either dh or ds just comes and presents them to me and say they saw them and thought of me. I like to arrange them myself. Ds girlfriend told i trained him well.

crazyH Sat 01-Dec-18 13:04:45

My husband brought me 2 dozen red roses for Xmas 1992 and in Jan 1993 announced he was in love with someone else and would be leaving me ?.....make of that what you will .

sarahellenwhitney Sat 01-Dec-18 13:04:59

The thought is there so why not get there first with a 'thank you, will you put them in ' with whatever vase you want.You can always rearrange them later.
My late DH stopped buying me flowers when, and for which I will never forgive myself, I asked were they on 'special offer'. How many times had I heard him say on my purchases ''did you know ---- supermarket ''had them on 'special offer'.

Direne3 Sat 01-Dec-18 13:11:26

We lived in the country and when I had our first child, in the cottage hospital, I asked my DH if he would bring me wild flowers. He said that was 'too embarrassing' and he'd look like a skinflint (may have been right in the early 60's) so I had to settle for a shop bought bunch . He still regularly arrives home with flowers but I suspect more for himself since I'm still happier with primroses etc. (from our garden).

LadyGracie Sat 01-Dec-18 13:16:20

Snap Lilyflower

dogsmother Sat 01-Dec-18 13:37:02

I too have received flowers every week from my dh only this year mind you.
He is on a mission to not miss a week since the start of the year and has succeeded so far.
I consider myself to be very fortunate. This occurs on a Sunday morning ?

icanhandthemback Sat 01-Dec-18 14:16:10

YABU and ungrateful smile

muffinthemoo Sat 01-Dec-18 14:17:52

My husband, unbeknownst to me, threw out every vase I owned in our recent house move as he had decided they were “unnecessary”.

I think my outlook for receiving flowers in the future is very bleak...