Gransnet forums

AIBU

Bouquet of flowers - light-hearted observation!

(63 Posts)
vickymeldrew Fri 30-Nov-18 08:06:57

On the occasional times my DH gives me flowers, he brings them home and removes all the wrapping before plonking them in the nearest vase. AIBU to be disappointed as I would prefer to unwrap and arrange them myself?

MagicWriter2016 Wed 05-Dec-18 15:56:39

I wouldn’t worry about it. If hubby brings me home flowers, if I am not well or something he might shove them in a vase to keep them alive, but he knows, once I am better,
I will rearrange them properly.

Greengage Mon 03-Dec-18 18:29:09

I'm one of the lucky ones - my late husband was always buying me flowers - because he loved fresh flowers in the house. He used to buy them from the stall outside the train station on the way home from work. Then he would pop into the pub where his mates would ask him what he had done wrong that it was necessary to buy me flowers!
The new man in my life buys me flowers too. How fortunate am I?

Lisagran Sun 02-Dec-18 14:27:45

Oh, Elrel - two very evocative flower-related memories!

Jillyrosa Sun 02-Dec-18 14:22:59

My husband actually put then in his suitcase after being on business trip because he didn’t want anyone to know he was bringing his wife flowers ?

Elrel Sun 02-Dec-18 14:05:47

A single yellow bloom from his grandmother's rose garden when we were still at school, carried to me 50 miles by train. We were still at school.

Many years later I told another partner I wasn't moving across the North Sea to live with him. A few days later 10 dead red roses arrived which he claimed to have bought to greet me. Very dramatic, pillock!
Now I think about it they were far too dry and brittle, not just limp and faded. And the petals had not dropped. Beginning to wonder where he found them, in a bin, on a compost heap?!

Marelli Sat 01-Dec-18 23:06:44

Hiwjado, in the case of my DH picking daffodils from the side of the road - these were planted by Mother Nature herself, away up in the Highlands of Scotland. Blasted by gales and rain, etc. Surviving and multiplying year after year. I'm sure she smiled benevolently on a scruffy lorry-driver picking half-a-dozen of her wee daffies for his long-suffering missus! ?

marionk Sat 01-Dec-18 22:26:35

Definitely being unreasonable! Mine get put in the sink and I don’t mind a bit, I am just happy that he has bought me some!

Juliet27 Sat 01-Dec-18 18:14:10

When my daughter was born a huge bouquet of flowers was delivered to the hospital 'with love from John'. My goodness, he's put the boat out I thought but then my husband arrived with a bunch of daffodils in a brown paper bag and I realized that it was a John friend who'd sent the bouquet, not husband John!

ClaraB Sat 01-Dec-18 17:28:26

I can't believe how many of us there are that don't get flowers from our DH's. Mine has only bought flowers once in a blue moon and none at all last year, this year only because it was a big birthday and then the hotel bought them on his behalf.
I guess this post has made me feel better but it doesn't make us feel very appreciated does it?

Granjan06 Sat 01-Dec-18 15:18:52

I only had flowers from my husband twice, once was a bouquet of red roses via Interflora just after we met, 2nd time was a bunch of flowers for Valentines day that he threw across the room to me...... I did put them in a vase myself, dread to think what they would have been like if he had done it. He never let me forget about the roses (his favourite flower)

GrammaH Sat 01-Dec-18 14:28:31

As one whose husband of 37 years would never, ever consider buying flowers or indeed any other form of gift unless for a birthday & actually, even then, never flowers, I'm afraid I think you're being unreasonable. You ought to be very grateful, touched & thankful that you married such a kind, thoughtful and considerate man

chrissie13 Sat 01-Dec-18 14:27:32

The only time I get flowers from my husband is when they're reduced in the supermarket. I love them all the same, and have to ask him nicely if he would arrange them for me because he's better at it than me!

muffinthemoo Sat 01-Dec-18 14:17:52

My husband, unbeknownst to me, threw out every vase I owned in our recent house move as he had decided they were “unnecessary”.

I think my outlook for receiving flowers in the future is very bleak...

icanhandthemback Sat 01-Dec-18 14:16:10

YABU and ungrateful smile

dogsmother Sat 01-Dec-18 13:37:02

I too have received flowers every week from my dh only this year mind you.
He is on a mission to not miss a week since the start of the year and has succeeded so far.
I consider myself to be very fortunate. This occurs on a Sunday morning ?

LadyGracie Sat 01-Dec-18 13:16:20

Snap Lilyflower

Direne3 Sat 01-Dec-18 13:11:26

We lived in the country and when I had our first child, in the cottage hospital, I asked my DH if he would bring me wild flowers. He said that was 'too embarrassing' and he'd look like a skinflint (may have been right in the early 60's) so I had to settle for a shop bought bunch . He still regularly arrives home with flowers but I suspect more for himself since I'm still happier with primroses etc. (from our garden).

sarahellenwhitney Sat 01-Dec-18 13:04:59

The thought is there so why not get there first with a 'thank you, will you put them in ' with whatever vase you want.You can always rearrange them later.
My late DH stopped buying me flowers when, and for which I will never forgive myself, I asked were they on 'special offer'. How many times had I heard him say on my purchases ''did you know ---- supermarket ''had them on 'special offer'.

crazyH Sat 01-Dec-18 13:04:45

My husband brought me 2 dozen red roses for Xmas 1992 and in Jan 1993 announced he was in love with someone else and would be leaving me ?.....make of that what you will .

newnanny Sat 01-Dec-18 12:48:19

When we go shopping dh usually says would you like to choose some flowers? However i have trained dh and both ds to always buy me pink stargazer lillies if they can find them, failing that any pink lily with gypsophelia. I like it best when either dh or ds just comes and presents them to me and say they saw them and thought of me. I like to arrange them myself. Ds girlfriend told i trained him well.

Hatpev Sat 01-Dec-18 12:24:05

My husband has always insisted that flowers equate with guilt so he does not need to give them. He did get some for me when our children were born but other than that........

Stella14 Sat 01-Dec-18 12:19:40

Just tell him you’d like to unwrap them yourself!

Polskasue Sat 01-Dec-18 12:01:35

I had flowers from my husband every Saturday morning and he never removed the reduced sticker from them! I never complained as he had always got up earlier than me to go and do the dreaded supermarket shop. Bless him.

pixie601 Sat 01-Dec-18 11:59:46

Talk to him for goodness sake and be grateful he thinks to buy you flowers.

grannymary Sat 01-Dec-18 11:56:28

Like ninathenana DH often brought me flowers but would leave them in water in the kitchen sink to ‘surprise’ me. I would have loved for him to put them in a vase but he never did. Since his death last year I’ve had to buy my own flowers and wish I had appreciated those supermarket chrysanths or carnations more