Gransnet forums

AIBU

Tenant has met a girl......

(31 Posts)
Deni1963 Sat 01-Dec-18 09:56:04

AIBU. ...my tenant who is brilliant and met a girl, nought her back unannounced and used the sitting room ( which I wasn't using), but he knows is not included in the rent, and she was back last night to watch a movie in his room.....she went home late evening.
I live in the house and he is the only tenant. I feel quite annoyed about it? But should I ?
I feel I need to make ground rules before this progresses - but unsure if I'm being unreasonable in allowing her to sleep over here etc which I really don't want.
What to do? What boundaries do other live in landlords have ?

1974cookie Tue 04-Dec-18 17:50:37

My ex Husband and I had a Tenant who was a good friend.
His girlfriend used to stay at the weekend which was no problem for us. What did become a problem for me though was the day when my Husband and I were having a disagreement in our lounge.
The tenants' girlfriend walked in and decided to get involved!
I have a very long fuse, but in this instance, I saw red.
She was really surprised when I told her to keep out of our business, and to get out !!
After a few days absence, she apologised, but I realised then that having a Tenant who shared other living accommodation in the house was not a good idea.

Day6 Tue 04-Dec-18 18:15:54

It's a difficult situation I think.

I know the scenario is slightly different from the OP's but my son left home to share a house with three friends. They shared rent, bills, chores and had a bedroom each. After a year, one of the lads met a girl and she basically moved in with him. The dynamics of the house changed, she was in the kitchen, lounge, bathroom and not paying rent.

It caused a big falling out and the boy and his girlfriend left. He thought the others were being unreasonable objecting to her 24/7 presence.

It had nothing to do with sex, more to do with her using heat, hot water, food cooking facilities etc, and not contributing anything.

And of course, her presence alone was difficult because no one knew her. The laddish escapades stopped and the others also considered putting locks on their room doors. There are all sorts of security issues too when someone you know nothing about becomes a free-loading lodger.

There must be a landlord bank of rules somewhere on line which addresses this scenario?

PhiPhisnana Tue 04-Dec-18 20:53:43

I would just say that you would like to know when he is bringing someone back.
I wouldn’t tell them they couldn’t - it’s supposed to be their home and they should be able to bring at least 1 visitor round.

Grammaretto Tue 04-Dec-18 23:07:01

If you get on well with the lodger surely you are able to discuss your misgivings with him.
I would hate someone crossing boundaries with no agreement.
How rude and presumptive.
We let part of our house and even though it's self contained, the tenants let me know who is staying and for how long.
It's an unwritten rule.

JudiDrench Sun 30-Dec-18 20:03:07

Perhaps next time consider putting something in a lodger agreement?