Gransnet forums

AIBU

To dislike New Year’s Eve?

(135 Posts)
Tooglamtogiveadamn Wed 19-Dec-18 15:02:01

I love Christmas and the festive period, but I don’t like New Year’s Eve. I think it is just an excuse to drink alcohol and party. Everything is just loud and everyone is rowdy and drunk. I think it is a consumerism driven, pathetic excuse to drink. I think I may officially be an old grump!

Witzend Thu 20-Dec-18 11:40:58

I forgot the theatre! More than once dh and I have got last minute tickets for popular West End plays on NYE. One memorable year when dd1 was old enough to
go out partying but dd2 wasn't, we took her to see The Woman In Black. Talk about spooky!

Always a really good, festive atmosphere on the streets, and we're off home again before the maximum hordes descend.

Tooglamtogiveadamn Thu 20-Dec-18 12:25:37

absent I go into a terrible mood on NYE too. My family all enjoy themselves in the sitting room, and just after midnight, I go to the kitchen and cry softly into kitchen roll. I have never told my family this, but my smudged eye makeup is probably a giveaway!

JenniferEccles Thu 20-Dec-18 12:51:33

Another one here who doesn't 'get' NYE.

What is so significant about the calendar flipping from Dec 31st to Jan1st? Obviously I realise that it's the start of a new year, but why make so much fuss about it?

Pubs and restaurants bump their prices up. I have seen plenty (too much grin?) of family and friends over the Christmas week, so by NYE I just want a normal day and to go to bed at a reasonable hour.

On New Year's Day if it's fine we will have a run down to the coast, a nice lunch and a good long walk feeling fine as we haven't been up late the night before.

arosebyanyothername Thu 20-Dec-18 20:56:48

Not a fan of NYE!
Suits OH though as I offer to drive if we go out. Honestly would rather stay on orange juice and watch the show wink

lemongrove Thu 20-Dec-18 21:01:49

Phoenix the Bideford New Years Eve seems to get bigger every year, but at least it’s a happy party atmosphere, if you can avoid drunken men dressed as fairies nearly knocking you into the water.grin

Eloethan Thu 20-Dec-18 23:56:31

I like it if people come round or if we could go out or to a party (I wish!), but usually it's a very quiet affair. My husband ignores it and watches telly on his own. I only stay up because my Mum (who comes to us over Christmas and the New Year) wants to (even though she spends most of the time sighing wistfully). If our grandchildren have a sleepover, it's much jollier, so here's hoping!

Nanabilly Fri 21-Dec-18 07:04:41

If I could go to bed on the 30th Dece.bed and same up on January 1st I would do . I hate NYE and always have done since being a child and parents went off to the pub , came back with friends and kept us all awake with what started with laughter and always ended up with shouting and screaming and a wrecked house the next morning and parents unavailable the whole day.
Then the dreaded millennium where the world was said to come crashing down on us and it was all a very damp squid.
My husband loves it though so I have been to too many nights out and parties just for him but nowadays we generally have our gs here so we have a little party and a dance and watch a film ,see in the new year and go to bed where I fall fast asleep while the fireworks are still crackling.

MadMaisie Fri 21-Dec-18 09:59:38

I am definitely a grump as I ignore it and am tucked up in bed with a good book instead.

Daddima Fri 21-Dec-18 10:09:41

When our children were small lots of people in the village used to go to the village hall to see in the new year. We started off just taking drinks and nibbles, but a couple of years in we had graduated to a full buffet! The children loved it. Of course, when they got older they had other fish to fry, but just lately there has been talk of them doing it again with their own children!
Only thing I look forward to now is the steak pie dinner on Ne’erday, cooked by one of our sons! ( Funny how they never cooked when they lived with us, now they’re Gordon Feckin’ Ramsay)

PECS Fri 21-Dec-18 10:17:54

Christmas is our family time together and NYE is for us to get together with good friends. Usually we gather in a home and all bring a course for a meal. This started when we had little kids and could not go out but this year, as we are all so bloody old and doddery now, we have booked a private room in a restaurant! Costs a bit but we do not exchange gifts so it is a communal gift to each other!

moxeyns Fri 21-Dec-18 10:19:26

It's my birthday, and I loathe the huge parties! I will take myself off for a walk on the beach if it's dry, and I have a very nice bottle of wine squirrelled away. If I'm awake at midnight I'll watch the fireworks on the TV...

Cabbie21 Fri 21-Dec-18 10:21:21

Haven’t done anything for NYE since the Millenium. Usually I am still up at midnight but if I want to go to bed, what does it matter?
However it is my grandaughter’s Birthday on 1 January, so we usually catch up with her that day.

ReadyMeals Fri 21-Dec-18 10:23:13

God designed us to get bored with new years eve because he knew we'd be needed to babysit our grandchildren smile

GabriellaG54 Fri 21-Dec-18 10:24:27

Witzend
I saw 'Woman In Black' in London, and again in Guildford. Great play.
smile

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 21-Dec-18 10:30:20

I don't love NYE, it's over-rated, you don't feel any different when the clock turns to zero. I doubt I'll have the energy to stay up especially after this year which has been quite a bad one and I'll be glad to see the back of it. Not as bad as 2010 which really was the pits.
Anyway, here's to 2019 - let it be the best ever when all our dreams come true! That's what my horoscope says anyway and I choose to believe it! wine

kwest Fri 21-Dec-18 10:30:24

I find it a sad and reflective evening. We never went to parties because one of our dogs was terrified of fireworks so we never left him alone. Now my husband goes off to bed around 9pm and I stay up to see the New Year in but I think of the changes of the past year and of friends and family no longer here. I am grateful for our lives, our family and friends and I fervently wish for good health for those who might be suffering, I wish for a healthy and happy year ahead for all of us and I never take any of it for granted. So yes, sad, reflective, poignant yet hopeful and a little bit scared.

Esspee Fri 21-Dec-18 10:31:54

It worries me that alcohol has become routinely acceptable (I mean excessive drinking). My OH and I enjoy a glass or two but never to the extent of being intoxicated.
Reading Mumsnet it appears that getting drunk is seen as the norm., not just at New Year but girl's nights out, office parties, weekends etc.
I find that very sad.

GabriellaG54 Fri 21-Dec-18 10:32:32

I'll be on Sam's 'duty' on NY Eve but on NYD I'l go for a long walk in the Surrey Hills with a friend, reflect on a happy and healthy 2018 and hope for the same in 2019 for all those I love and care about.

Nannyme Fri 21-Dec-18 10:41:09

I really dont like New Year’s Eve. My first husband always spoilt it by getting drunk and kissing everyone else except me

HannahLoisLuke Fri 21-Dec-18 10:41:40

I adore Christmas but New Year's Eve is just a damp squib for me.
Forced jollity and as I don't drink I just notice how silly/loud/aggressive people are getting as the evening wears on.
These days I don't do it unless family are doing a party and as its my daughter's birthday the next day there is that to celebrate and remember having to leave a New Year Party many moons ago to give birth to her!

inishowen Fri 21-Dec-18 10:48:37

I have never liked New Years Eve. When we were young we would make an effort and go to a party. Everyone drank too much and got depressed by the early hours. Now I quite enjoy it because husband and I stay at home, have a nice meal, and watch whatever event is on tv. I like New Years Day because it's a clean slate.

Jayelld Fri 21-Dec-18 10:55:41

I ignore NYE, purely and simply because it's a chance to relax, on my own, no interruptions, and I can curl up with a good film or book and finish the Christmas chocolates. Then the diet starts, or at least, cutting down on my sugar and carb intake!!!!!

EllanVannin Fri 21-Dec-18 10:59:19

Hate it with a passion. Always have.

EliseC465 Fri 21-Dec-18 11:07:05

Well I’m working until 2am in emergency services so I definitely hate it. ?

ReadyMeals Fri 21-Dec-18 11:11:57

I never liked that horrible arm-pumping and snogging bit at midnight, so in the days when I did enjoy a party apart from that bit I'd just go and hide when the clock struck and reappear when everyone was normal again. These days it's just "I hope no one lets of fireworks too near here and wakes me up"