Gransnet forums

AIBU

I've just botched OH hair. AIBU?

(57 Posts)
Esspee Fri 21-Dec-18 12:12:40

I've been hinting for a few days that OH should be paying a visit to the barber. He has refused point blank and said he was waiting until just before our January holiday to go.
This would have meant that over Christmas and New Year he would be looking unkempt.
This morning he asked me if I could give it a little trim and produced an electric clipper thingy.
Unfortunately I have botched the job and now he will have to go to the barber.
HIBU do you think? ?

Feelingmyage55 Sat 22-Dec-18 10:29:28

Always do my DH’s haircut but I have to be in the mood otherwise it is a disaster. It took him some time to accept this until ... a particularly bad cut. Now he checks if I am in the mood or not. ? Our offspring mocked the routine although I did lots of trimming and tidying up between professional haircuts. Now when they grace us with a visit or we travel to them, haircuts are a matter of course because they both live in very expensive places and are very busy, bu t also because they have worked out the cost of haircuts over a year. Students/minimum wage earners for now happy to tolerate my efforts.

Gaggi3 Sat 22-Dec-18 10:34:40

Tears in my eyes from laughing at some of these posts. My DH is exactly like yours over haircuts, Esspee, even though we all tell him, truthfully, he looks years younger with it short. Haven't done the clipper thing yet, but have threatened and read him your post! tchgrin

Margs Sat 22-Dec-18 11:24:41

You've just about enough time to buy him a hat for Xmas......

Purpledaffodil Sat 22-Dec-18 11:38:09

Bought clippers years ago, but only DD trusted to do it. Must admit he did look a bit odd when I had a go. Like a candidate for Care in the Community was the general opinion ?

Aepgirl Sat 22-Dec-18 11:42:01

Well, you’ve got what you wanted.

Sarahmob Sat 22-Dec-18 11:49:25

I always cut my hubbys hair - used clippers and scissors. It’s been awful sometimes, but we just giggle about it. I’m lucky he’s not vain grin

dragonfly46 Sat 22-Dec-18 11:53:04

I cut my DH's hair in the first year we were married and we had a major row. He would not speak to me for 2 days.
Needless to say I now leave it to the experts!!

Happysexagenarian Sat 22-Dec-18 12:08:48

I've been cutting DH's hair and beard for 40 years, though I'm not a hairdresser. He had a barber cut for our wedding and looked like a tailors dummy! Thereafter he refused to go to the barbers. I like his hair left a bit longer so I don't take too much off. What we save on his haircuts goes towards mine.

Gaggi3 Sat 22-Dec-18 12:13:42

Have given this further thought and decided not to risk cutting DH's hair myself. If I made a mess of it (almost a certainty), he wouldn't get it sorted out professionally (he has zero vanity), and I would be suitably punished by having to look at it all the time.

Esspee Sat 22-Dec-18 12:26:19

He is home looking like a shorn lamb. I am being diplomatically silent on how much smarter he looks........and he has had his nasal hair removed!
I love his new barber.❤️

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 22-Dec-18 12:36:18

In a roundabout way you have made him do what you wanted in the first place - go to the barber. Don't fret - no matter how awful it looks it'll grow back.

mabon1 Sat 22-Dec-18 12:45:47

Would it have been so bad to look a bit unkempt for a few days? Leave the man alone for goodness sake.

David1968 Sat 22-Dec-18 13:27:38

Good grief Amaretto, where does your husband have his hair cut? Are you in London? Here in the N/West, DH can get a good cut for £8 - £10.

David1968 Sat 22-Dec-18 13:28:58

Sorry - Grammaretto!

Chewbacca Sat 22-Dec-18 13:47:30

My dad always said there was only a fortnight between a good hair cut and a bad one.

Farmor15 Sat 22-Dec-18 15:27:29

I started cutting my children's hair when they were small - didn't do too bad a job except one time when I nicked an ear blush. Then I got one of those haircutting sets with clippers. Now even my daughter-in-law asks for a trim when she visits - she has quite long hair and just wants a bit off the ends.
My OH is now nearly bald, so doesn't take long. But sometimes he asks youngest daughter to do it for him and gives her a hefty tip - a lot more than he would pay if he went to barber. I only get a kiss for my trouble!

icanhandthemback Sat 22-Dec-18 15:46:21

I always do my hubby's hair. When I start giggling, he knows I've used the wrong comb and shorn him! He just laughs and says it will grow back quick enough. I tell him that if he doesn't treat me right, I'll take it out on his hair.

Barmeyoldbat Sat 22-Dec-18 16:05:12

I am not a hairdresser but my husband likes the way I cut his hair using scissors. Also cut my sons hair and daughters. j Both have very tight curly hair and you can't notice any mistakes.

Tooyoungytobeagrandma Sat 22-Dec-18 16:17:54

I used clippers on my oh for years as he was too tight to go to Barber. Night before a business trip abroad he wanted a "trim" so I got the clippers and started the trim. I started then realised I hadn't put the no 2 comb on I had scalped a large rectangle at the back of his head shock. My dd and I were laughing while I tried to rectify it and he kept asking what was wrong bet the businessmen in those far fling lands thought it was how British men did their hair confused

Purplepoppies Sat 22-Dec-18 18:00:51

Someone not so far from where I am sitting (on my own btw) may or may not have tricked a drunken ex, when he complained that he had grey hairs, that they had a brown dye. I didn't, they had a burgundy dye. Deeply satisfying.......

Parsley3 Sat 22-Dec-18 18:14:14

Oh, I have put the wrong comb on Mr P’s hair and gouged a chunk out. I didn’t tell him as it was at the back. He went about oblivious until we visited my daughter and she said, “I see you have been cutting dad’s hair again”.
He looked bemused but didn’t cotton on. It soon grew in, thank goodness. I take more care now. ?

MissAdventure Sat 22-Dec-18 18:21:25

grin
My ex had a female friend who latched onto him like a leech.
She would go round and do his ironing, housework and so on. (Always when I was at work)
One day she cut his hair and really messed it up.
Because he had really curly locks (afro) and she had shaved it almost to his head in a strip down the middle, he looked like a clown with two big puffy bits at each side.
He asked if I would sort it out... and I said no.
"You're really going to be that childish and not do it?!"
Me: "Yep!"

Yorkshiregirl Sat 22-Dec-18 19:05:32

New Turkish barbers near me, and all male family members raving about it. A full pamper for men (why not ?) £22.
Hair cut, cut throat shave, hot towel, facial steam, facial, eyebrows, ear candles, nasal wax.
Men in my family aren't in the leadt effeminate but love this
A Male friend puts so much a week in a jar for this treat.

Maggiemaybe Sat 22-Dec-18 19:13:48

Sounds tempting to me as well, Yorkshiregirl, if they’d change the cut-throat shave for a bit of judicious plucking.

jocork Sat 22-Dec-18 21:07:54

That last post reminded me I forgot to buy tweezers in town today - I've lost mine!