Gransnet forums

AIBU

I've just botched OH hair. AIBU?

(56 Posts)
Esspee Fri 21-Dec-18 12:12:40

I've been hinting for a few days that OH should be paying a visit to the barber. He has refused point blank and said he was waiting until just before our January holiday to go.
This would have meant that over Christmas and New Year he would be looking unkempt.
This morning he asked me if I could give it a little trim and produced an electric clipper thingy.
Unfortunately I have botched the job and now he will have to go to the barber.
HIBU do you think? ?

KatyK Fri 21-Dec-18 12:21:34

Why do some men, including mine, hate going to the barbers?

MiniMoon Fri 21-Dec-18 12:23:48

I'm lucky here. My DH says he needs a haircut when I think his hair will wait for another couple of weeks.

Alima Fri 21-Dec-18 12:23:57

Not sure what HIBUmeans. (He is being unreasonabl?) He was very brave asking you to trim it for him, my DH wouldn’t let me anywhere near him brandishing clippers. Anyway, you got what you wanted, he is off to the barbers.

Fennel Fri 21-Dec-18 12:32:57

Espee I also botched husband's haircut. He can do it better himself.
But now he's found a good young lady barber who is very cheap. So he goes there.

sodapop Fri 21-Dec-18 12:44:14

Nose & ears next esspee tchgrin

Maggiemaybe Fri 21-Dec-18 13:41:40

DD1 has just botched DGS4's haircut. He has gorgeous long blonde curls she can't bear to have cut off yet. She decided to trim his fringe though, so he could actually see. He now looks like Boris Johnson on a bad day and we're all resolving not to take too many photos of him this Christmas. tchsmile

Grammaretto Fri 21-Dec-18 13:51:10

Ha Ha! Excellent prompt. Once we tried to cut each others hair to save money and we both had to have the dreadful results remedied by a professional.
Tell me why does it cost DH £15 and me £33 to have our hair cut? It's often the same stylist and we both have short hair.

Esspee Fri 21-Dec-18 13:53:01

Alima I'm a bit of a pedant and thought Am I Being Unreasonable didn't quite fit the bill.
As it is a "done deal" I felt Have I Been Unreasonable to be more accurate.
Sorry if this caused confusion.

Gagagran Fri 21-Dec-18 13:54:34

DH used to have his hair cut by one of the technicians at the University where he worked but when he retired I got the job.

I bought a clipper set and for the past 15 years have cut his hair, when I think it needs it. He is bald on top so it's only a question of the sides, back and eyebrows. It takes me less than 10 minutes and must have saved us pounds!

Esspee Fri 21-Dec-18 14:01:55

Sodapop I used to have to pin him to the floor to use the nasal hair trimmer on him then he had to switch barbers as the local one closed.
His new Turkish barbers (can there be any left in Turkey?) routinely waxes all customer's nasal hair.......oh oh could that be why he is loathe to go?
Thank you for precipitating a lightbulb moment Sodapop

Chewbacca Fri 21-Dec-18 14:06:12

I've done the very same thing to my OH. He was being a skin flint; wouldn't pay a barber and despite me telling him I had never cut hair before, he insisted; afterall "I only want a trim, how hard can it be?" He got more than a trim! It looked ok ish on one side but rubbish on the other. So I tried to rectify it but went shorter than the other side. And on it went.... shorter and shorter, more and more lopsided, until he looked like the village yokel with a pudding bowl haircut.

Oddly enough, he's not asked me again....grin

Esspee Fri 21-Dec-18 14:12:25

Gransnet, may I nominate Sodapop for an award.

I now bet OH is really trying to delay the pain of waxing. I am overdue for a chin and bikini line wax so I am now sympathetic.
Why didn't he simply tell me or just tell the hairdresser no? Probably a macho thing.?

ninathenana Fri 21-Dec-18 14:21:27

I regularly give DH a "No2" with the clippers. He hasn't been to the barbers for years.

Allegretto Fri 21-Dec-18 14:44:09

I have cut my husband’s hair for years. He’s not got much anyway so there’s no skill involved. It’s just a quick zoom over with the clippers.

sodapop Fri 21-Dec-18 17:42:22

Glad to be of assistance esspee tchsmile

Jalima1108 Fri 21-Dec-18 17:56:38

A man went into a barber's shop and asked for a haircut.
'How would you like it cut, sir'?

'Well, can you cut it short on one side, leave it long on the other, shaved a bit up the back with a bald patch, and long and unmanageable on the top'

'I can't do it like that, sir'

'Well, you did last time'.

annodomini Fri 21-Dec-18 18:09:35

When DS2 was 10, I decided he needed a haircut and approached him with a pair of hairdressing scissors. Every time I thought it was about right, I had to take a little bit more off. Sadly, the poor child ended up almost a skinhead, though I thought he looked rather cute! Now 45, he would never again let me near his hair.

Jalima1108 Fri 21-Dec-18 18:11:30

When DD2 was 3 she tangled up a curling brush in her hair and the only way to get it out was to cut it out, so she had very 'short sides' as I had to cut the other side to match.

MissAdventure Fri 21-Dec-18 18:13:56

A man went into the barbers and said "I'd like my hair like Michael Jackson's, please".
After some time the barber finished and the man was appalled at the state of his hair. Patchy, uneven, too short.
"Michael Jackson doesn't have his hair like this!"
"Well, he would if he came in here for a cut!".

M0nica Fri 21-Dec-18 20:39:27

DH hates feeling shaggy, as he describes it, so takes himself off to the barber at regular intervals. His hair has always been unmanageable, it has a will of its own and will not be cut into submission. He also has a Captain Birdseye beard. I often do not realise when he has had a hair and beard trim as it all looks just the same tchconfused

KatyK Fri 21-Dec-18 20:45:51

My DH pays £7.50 on 'pensioners day'.

Esspee Sat 22-Dec-18 10:08:50

Thank you everybody.
Had I put this post on Mumsnet it would not have been long before someone sussed out the implication that it was actually a deliberate ploy on my part to botch the job.
Now I am not saying it was.......but my subconscious may have been at work here.
Anyway, he's off out now to visit the barber. It will be interesting to see if he has his nose done or we will have to have the best of three falls to complete his personal grooming for this year.
Happy Holidays everyone.

EEJit Sat 22-Dec-18 10:11:26

My first thought was did you botch it by accident or on purpose?

Lindaloulabel Sat 22-Dec-18 10:13:10

It’s called the I can’t be bothered to get off ar*e and go.
I used to do my husbands hair but then realised I’m being taken for a mug. Very little thanks no appreciation and no tip. Stopped doing it.....