Gransnet forums

AIBU

Handing on the baton

(34 Posts)
52bright Wed 26-Dec-18 15:40:25

Yesterday I was fortunate to be hosting 8 people and 2 dogs for Christmas day. Not a huge number in comparison to what many of you well organised Gransnetter's achieve ...or in fact what I and DH have done in the past when the numbers sitting down to lunch were 16 adults and some children.

I really enjoyed my day but have to admit to being exhausted now. The shopping, food prep, making the house and table lovely ext ext all good and I know I'm lucky to have people I love to share the day with.

Just finished the clearing up today and sitting down for a well earned rest and was just thinking. I was aged 36 when I took the baton over from my own parents, all be it on a once in 3 year turnaround in those days with my brothers and their families. The last 12 years, as all our families expanded with marriages and grandkids we all host our own families now with me also hosting my lovely mother aged 87.

Feeling a bit tired this afternoon and thinking back to when I began, I'm wondering if it's time to hand on the baton? Next year I and dh will be 67. At 43 my daughter is much older than when I begun but is a full time worker and sole provider for her family.

Just wondering when/if other gransnetters made a decision to hand on the baton or whether they've kept on going because they love it all so much or for other reasons?

morethan2 Wed 26-Dec-18 19:59:24

I wish I had some one to hand the baton onto, it’s getting mighty heavytchsad

M0nica Wed 26-Dec-18 20:14:48

I am 75 and still going strong. If I begin to struggle, I will look for ways round it, buying ready made rather than cooking, getting guests to earn their keep.

Thirty years ago when I was working full time and doing Christmas , I drew up a spreadsheet that spreads the preparations for Christmas over several month to make the Christmas period easier and this works pretty well. This year I succumbed to the modern pattern for getting Christmas decorations up in early December and spread doing it over 3 weeks rather than a full day of hard work and rushing round the Sunday before Christmas. It is a pattern that is now on the spread sheet.

PECS Wed 26-Dec-18 20:45:43

Occasionally we have been to a DD for Christmas but our home has the bigger dining space.....

52bright Wed 26-Dec-18 21:01:53

Thank you for all your comments. They have given me food for thought. Especially Far North's and Notanan2. I agree about giving plenty of notice Far North and I've already put out a few feelers. I did say yesterday, quite light heartedly, when they were leaving, that I thought I might stop at aged 70.

I also agree with you notanan2 that I shouldn't expect anyone else to take over if I want to stop. The thing is they all love the day as it stands and DD definitely not up for it and not enough room at her place anyway.

For next year ideally I would like us all to go out for lunch then all back to our house for present opening, drinks and easy small buffet in the evening. Don't think they think I mean it but will do as Far North says and give plenty of notice.

Tartlet Wed 26-Dec-18 23:31:50

I think I should mention that when I agreed with the term ‘handing on the baton’ I didn’t mean nominating or expecting anyone else to pick it up. It was more a case of just laying down the baton so that it was entirely up to ‘someone else’ whether they picked it up or not. I half expected the big gatherings to be replaced by more smaller affairs but that isn’t what happened.

Anja Thu 27-Dec-18 06:57:15

It doesn’t have to be all or nothing though. I’m 72 and still ‘host’ Christmas Dinner, but only the main course. This year my son sorted the starters anc my daughter the pudding. That spreads the cost and the load.

Grammaretto Thu 27-Dec-18 09:47:12

morethan2 tchwink
As long as you keep hosting, they'll keep coming.
I wonder if it's a bit like chairing a committee; if you don't resign and nobody kicks you off, you could have the job forever.
If you want to be released from service perhaps you should hint throughout the year so as to warn people. You could suggest an alternative such as hiring caterers. My in-laws did that for an anniversary once and although it was nice enough, it was not the same atmosphere or food as when they did it themselves but it showed the rest of us what hard work it was and DMil had time to take her apron off and dress for dinner!.

eazybee Thu 27-Dec-18 09:51:18

I think the younger generation enjoy family Christmases very much, but have very little intention of taking up the baton, because 'we work, you know.' Our generation, obviously , never did.
When I worked, my younger colleagues were appalled by the idea that they should even consider hosting Christmas, and I am watching young families loading up cars now where I live, having spent Christmas with mum and dad.
Again.
On the other hand, I have two friends who won't allow their daughters to cook; one insists that the family, ( 4 adults one child plus large dog) comes to stay in her two bedroomed house, then complains no one helps her, and the other one cooks the entire meal and takes it up to her daughter's house for her family on Christmas day.
Me? After 40 years of hosting I have had Christmas Day at my daughter and partner's house for the first time ever, and it was WONDERFUL.