Gransnet forums

AIBU

House rules

(89 Posts)
Su66 Wed 26-Dec-18 22:09:59

Hi everyone
Just wanted to rant and perhaps get your opinion. I have a large townhouse that has a bathroom on the top floor and a toilet/washroom on the ground floor. AIBU to ask that guests use the downstairs toilet and not the bathroom on the top floor.

M0nica Thu 27-Dec-18 15:53:24

I am very confused. Are we talking day visitors or overnight visitors. I deduce a three floor house with the living room on the centre floor. Which is the easiest to get to from the living room. If an overnight visitor where are the facilities in relation to the bedroom.

When I lived in a three floored house, the bathroom on the bedroom floor was much easier to reach from the living room than the cloakroom, so everyone, including guests used the upstairs bedroom.

To be honest, I appreciate that some people feel strongly on issues like this, but I find these worries incomprehensible. What does it matter?

Nandalot Thu 27-Dec-18 16:32:27

Tricky with a townhouse if both loos equidistant. Here day visitors cloakroom downstairs, overnighters either.
I was quite taken aback when a neighbour complained that his married daughter on a visit to his house used the ‘family bathroom’ and not the cloakroom. To my mind family are family whether still at home or not and can use any!

willa45 Thu 27-Dec-18 18:25:37

Our lovely guest 'bath' downstairs is just a sink and a toilet. The operative word would be 'guest', because it's the one we use for company.

We also have two full bathrooms upstairs but to my knowledge, no one has ever ventured upstairs without an invitation.

Our upstairs hall bath is the one our overnight guests use. I can only recall one or two occasions that the guest bath was occupied and I offered the one upstairs.

Katyj Thu 27-Dec-18 18:31:11

That's how it should be Willa.Guests should wait to be offered another bathroom, if the guest room is full.

mcem Thu 27-Dec-18 18:42:46

Mountains and molehills!

EllanVannin Thu 27-Dec-18 19:09:43

Why so many toilets ? I'd make sure guests didn't have such weak bladders.
What happened to outside ones ? Less embarrassment all round.

Buffybee Thu 27-Dec-18 19:16:27

Hahaha! Funny Ellan! ?

GabriellaG54 Thu 27-Dec-18 21:22:37

I can't envisage a queue for the lavatory unless you were having a party (which I know you weren't)
I'd point to the downstairs cloakroom and say that the upstairs facilities are private and not used for guests unless they're staying overnight.
I certainly wouldn't give any further explanation.
What a cheeky guest.

GabriellaG54 Thu 27-Dec-18 21:34:06

I had a large home which had 6 bedrooms, 5 of which were en-suite, the sixth being in an attached cottage with separate bathroom.
We also had a downstairs cloakroom but the number of people who nosed around upstairs on the pretext of looking for a loo (mostly friends of our children or wives of couples) was unbelievable. I found one visitor opening a wardrobe shockangry
I wasn't polite and that couple were never invited back.
It's the height of rudeness.
I don't even sit down in friend's houses unless invited to do so.

Iam64 Thu 27-Dec-18 21:48:38

Oh my, I can’t imagine getting wound up about which bathroom, cloakroom, toilet or lavatory visitors or house guests use. We are fortunate to have one in the main bathroom upstairs and one on the utility area downstairs. We have twelve day guests tomorrow. As long as they’re comfortable and enjoy themselves, I’ll be happy.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 27-Dec-18 22:12:15

If people are in my home, they are either family or friends, what bathroom/lavatory they use is not a problem.

Rufus2 Fri 28-Dec-18 02:51:25

given the choice men will use the downstairs loo
True, although here there is no choice as we have no "upstairs anything"! and in any case, Who hands out the choices? tchgrin
As Barry Humphries once said: "Australia is an outdoor country. People only go indoors to use the toilet. And that's only a recent development. tchgrin
Here's the expurgated version of what I tried yesterday; it shouldn't upset your delicate ears!

Oh, dear, what can the matter be?
Seven old ladies were locked in the lavatory;
They were there from Monday 'til Saturday,
And nobody knew they were there.
The first old lady was Elizabeth Porter;
She was the deacon of Dorchester's daughter.
She went to relieve a slight pressure of water,
And nobody knew she was there.
The second old lady was Abigail Splatter;
She went there 'cause something was definitely the matter,
But when she got there, it was only her bladder,
The third old lady was Amelia Garpickle;
Her urge was sincere, her reaction was fickle.
She hurdled the door; she'd forgotten her nickel,
The fourth old maiden was Hildegard Foyle;
She hadn't been living according to Hoyle,
Was relieved when the swelling was only a boil,
The fifth old lady was Emily Clancy;
She went there 'cause something tickled her fancy,
But when she got there it was ants in her pantsy,
The sixth old lady was extremely fertile.
Her name was O'Connor, the boys called her Myrtle.
She went there to repair a slight hole in her girdle,
The seventh old lady was Elizabeth Bender;
She went there to repair a broken suspender.
It snapped up and ruined her feminine gender,

The janitor came in the early morning.
He opened the door without any warning,
The seven old ladies their seats were adorning,
And nobody knew they were there.
Happy New Year! wine wine wine

Jalima1108 Fri 28-Dec-18 11:38:31

Australia is an outdoor country. People only go indoors to use the toilet. And that's only a recent development.
Not all of the male species have heard of that rule, either, Rufus
tchhmm

Jalima1108 Fri 28-Dec-18 11:39:51

thanks for the song, I've never heard the full version before tchgrin

MawBroon Fri 28-Dec-18 15:11:53

We also had a downstairs cloakroom but the number of people who nosed around upstairs on the pretext of looking for a loo (mostly friends of our children or wives of couples) was unbelievable. I found one visitor opening a wardrobe
Frankly nobody I know would dream of that.

In many large country houses the downstairs loo is designated for Male visitors’ use and ladies would be invited upstairs to use a guest bathroom or their hostess’s bathroom which would be equipped with a dressing table and mirrors etc to fix one’s hair, make up etc. I can also remember being invited to my hostess’s bedroom on arrival to “freshen up” if I so wished - and then adding my coat to others on the bed.
Nobody needs to get into a twitch over the privacy of their bedroom (unless they have just kicked yesterday’s knickers under the bed! grin

annodomini Fri 28-Dec-18 15:40:43

On arriving at my DS's house last Sunday, I was informed that the downstairs loo had suffered a blockage which was partly fixed, but it would be best to use it only for peeing. Fortunately there are three more upstairs, so even with 17 for dinner, there was no queuing! No-one objected to being told to go upstairs.

annodomini Fri 28-Dec-18 15:47:35

Gabriella were you the original model for Hyacinth Bucket?

EllanVannin Fri 28-Dec-18 15:47:39

I honestly don't understand what all the fuss and palava was about.

MawBroon Fri 28-Dec-18 16:09:36

Annodomini grin sussed her?

janeainsworth Fri 28-Dec-18 16:28:00

I have three bathrooms, if they were all used by guests, they'd all have to be cleaned when they left, which is a lot of work

Are your friends and family all much dirtier than you katyj?
Or do you clean the bathroom every time you’ve been for a quick wee yourself?confused

MawBroon Fri 28-Dec-18 16:34:38

I have two bathrooms (onlysad) plus the downstairs loo and keep all three in an equal state of readiness regarding cleanliness/freshness/ clean hand towels /plentiful loo paper and, in the downstairs cloakroom , with an entertaining choice of reading matter

Maggiemaybe Fri 28-Dec-18 16:38:26

I never realised before how lucky I am to have just the one bathroom, with one loo in it.

mcem Fri 28-Dec-18 16:47:51

Hyacinth Bucket! Love it!

Foxyloxy Fri 28-Dec-18 17:58:30

How very sad that someone you invite into your home is suspected of being nosy, and abusing your hospitality. I would assume, she/he was embarrassed for personal reasons, and avoided using a toilet where others were nearby. If I invite anyone to my house as a guest, they are people I want to be with so mi casa es su casa. In which case if they want to trudge to the top of the house so be it.

Katyj Fri 28-Dec-18 20:38:16

No Jane my friends and family are not dirty. I just like to clean the toilets that have been used, when they've gone home..I know their fresh and clean for us then.I know I'm fussy.