Gransnet forums

AIBU

Men at the sales

(118 Posts)
GrandmaKT Fri 28-Dec-18 16:48:06

Due to other commitments, I only had today to do a quick trawl of the sales.
Didn't find much, but did get so frustrated by middle-aged/elderly men trailing their partners around the ladies' clothes departments! They didn't seem to be enjoying themselves and, aside from getting in their wives' way were getting under everyone else's (my!) feet too.
My OH does exactly this, so we very rarely go shopping together, and never when I am clothes shopping. If you and your partner are culprits, is there any up-side and how can you stand it?!

dirgni Sat 29-Dec-18 10:47:12

Always leave my husband in the coffee shop with the newspaper while I go shopping! Much less stressful!

Dianic Sat 29-Dec-18 10:48:15

We went to one sale yesterday, together... While I browsed ladies' "fashion", he went further along to mens'. We met up after about 15-20 minutes, both having chosen a couple of items and proceeded downstairs to see if we could find what we went in for - namely bedding!! Luckily, my DH is quite patient and has a great sense of humour (bit like @Grumpa) so shopping is usually a pleasant experience. He's a wheelchair user, so I normally carry most of the bags - it's a good way of controlling myself, lol!

Grampie Sat 29-Dec-18 10:56:43

Us husbands trailing our shopping partners are dutiful beasts of burden.

Sorry for getting in your way of grabbing the next bargain (or putting it back!).

We’d love to give lessons on quickly buying for keeps but most shoppers are not interested.

Beammeupscottie Sat 29-Dec-18 11:06:18

I once had to put out a tannoy message for a lost husband in a Store. He had escaped me back to the car, fed up with my bossing him about what to wear.We now both shop for practically everything on line and rarely shop together. Much, much better,

Magrithea Sat 29-Dec-18 11:06:42

My DH NEVER comes shopping with me!! He carries the shopping in when I get back from the supermarket but I don't expect him to trail round the shops after me as a bag carrier, I can do that myself! I often see (older) men trailing round after their wives, they always look miserable!

I only have one friend who doesn't 'do' shopping but her DH loves it and had to drag her out to by her mother of the bride outfits when their daughters got married!!

Urmstongran Sat 29-Dec-18 11:07:29

I think I have a (mostly) male outlook towards shopping. Hate the sales so never go! All that faff for a ‘bargain’ you didn’t know you needed. And I only shop if I need something. I go in, buy it and go home again. I’d hate mooching around - I’d rather stick pins in my eyes.

EllanVannin Sat 29-Dec-18 11:08:57

I always preferred shopping alone even when my husband was alive. He was quite happy to provide the funds to being stampeded in busy shops. So long as I brought back his favourite foodstuffs he was happy. He usually got stuck into his DIY on the house.

annodomini Sat 29-Dec-18 11:10:53

I'm with you, Urmstongran. I'm not an enthusiastic shopper at the best of times, though I do sometimes have a look on line to see if anything I have coveted has been reduced.

Legs55 Sat 29-Dec-18 11:14:57

My late DH used to come supermarket shopping with me & he pushed the trolley, he saw that as his role but he did get some input on what went into the trolley, because he was there I could ask him if he wanted to try something different/new. I am & always was capable of shopping on my own, something I've been doing for over 5 years now.

I dislike the sales & rarely go, I would never have "dragged" DH with me. Neither of us were "browsers" even now I know what I want & don't spend hours shopping, the thought of spending a day at Cribbs Causeway (shopping complex near Bristol) fills me with horrorthlconfused but I can wander through my local small Town looking at small independent shops for an hour or three thlsmile

ginny Sat 29-Dec-18 11:28:26

Sales are a big no no for me as are shops like TK max. Can’t stand the chaos. I don’t enjoy shopping at the best of times so prefer to do it on my own.

inishowen Sat 29-Dec-18 11:37:20

On a slightly different note. On Christmas Eve hubby and I were shopping in Tesco. One family were trailing five big teenagers behind them. (Not literally) Why oh why did the teens have to go grocery shopping? They were miserable.

Grampie Sat 29-Dec-18 11:40:50

Why take your teens?

It goes something like this: “don’t blame me when you don’t have your favourite food/snack/drink for the holidays”.

As I recall.

GrandmaKT Sat 29-Dec-18 11:48:20

Oops! I seem to have opened the grumbling floodgates! Grandad1943, as I have already clarified, my question was more aimed at wives than husbands, as, although we haven't had any posting on here yet, it seemed to me yesterday that some were dragging their husbands along against their will. I didn't see any men taking an interested, active role, but I'm sure some do!

Urmstongran Sat 29-Dec-18 11:48:57

That’s what lists are for Grampie before setting off!

Urmstongran Sat 29-Dec-18 11:49:34

I’m a wife!

Grampie Sat 29-Dec-18 12:08:22

Pre-buying lists work well, but not if the family wants to shop (wander about looking at stuff) instead.

Buying and shopping are not the same. One is efficient, the other is not.

Shortlegs Sat 29-Dec-18 12:09:47

Grumpa: You need to be aware that this forum quite often turns into a Loose Women forum, that of let's attack and laugh at men. As for the lady who didn't appreciate being patronised, do you not think that discussing creches for men smacks of patronisation?

juneski Sat 29-Dec-18 12:14:20

Am I the only person who had to google "misandry"? blush smile

Urmstongran Sat 29-Dec-18 12:26:26

No juneski❗️ Me too - without a hashtag of course.

Elegran Sat 29-Dec-18 12:26:37

That was only one lady, shortlegs, the rest were quite happy with Grumpa's post.

In fact, posters were laughing affectionately with their men, not abusively at them, rather like commenting that the wife has taken an hour to get ready to go out while the husband only had to comb his hair and pick up the car keys. The husband still loves his wife and is proud of how she looks once she has finished, the wife still loves her husband.

Urmstongran Sat 29-Dec-18 12:27:22

Very good point Grampie I ever thought of purchasesthat way. I’m a ‘buyer’ then!

Elegran Sat 29-Dec-18 12:29:05

But, Juneski and Urmistongran, that is one word you won't have to look up again (assuming the meaning hasn't escaped by the next time you hear/see it)

ayokunmi1 Sat 29-Dec-18 12:38:40

How I wish my husband soon to be Ex ..came shopping with me even once ..willingly. not so much the bag carrying just the companionship.

Maggieanne Sat 29-Dec-18 12:38:54

I must admit, I find the men that seem to be attached to their wives by an invisible thread, very annoying, and it seems that they daren't let more than six inches of space come between themselves, so they then trample and bash into anyone who dares to get in their way. Or perhaps it's just where we live! On the other hand, I've seen so many men at the mercy of a woman determined to, well just shop, and the poor chap is constantly berated for just about anything.

harrysgran Sat 29-Dec-18 12:44:08

Well said grannyticktock totally agree if I was unable to carry my bags then I'd buy a shopping trolley the men never seem to be enjoying their experience whilst they trot along behind there wives or stand looking bewildered blocking the aisles