Gransnet forums

AIBU

Men at the sales

(118 Posts)
GrandmaKT Fri 28-Dec-18 16:48:06

Due to other commitments, I only had today to do a quick trawl of the sales.
Didn't find much, but did get so frustrated by middle-aged/elderly men trailing their partners around the ladies' clothes departments! They didn't seem to be enjoying themselves and, aside from getting in their wives' way were getting under everyone else's (my!) feet too.
My OH does exactly this, so we very rarely go shopping together, and never when I am clothes shopping. If you and your partner are culprits, is there any up-side and how can you stand it?!

winterwhite Sat 29-Dec-18 18:00:18

Oh but hang on a minute, other way round here. I hate the sales, but DH expects me to help him buy a winter coat next week. Needs no help at all really. He knows what he wants, a replacement for what he has already, in a sort of glum workhouse grey. Three styles will look identical to the normal eye, but oh no, only one will do and they will only have it in black or navy. So we try another shop, and another, and I say You know you could and should have bought this coat in November... Now, if as we trudge between shops he is thought to be trailing after me it would be the last straw.

Magsymoo Sat 29-Dec-18 18:03:38

Do you know, I might just hibernate for a while. Life is too short and there's too much unpleasantness out there anyway at the moment without bringing it 'inside'. Happy new year!

Saggi Sat 29-Dec-18 18:12:25

Sales shopping!! .... clothes shopping!!... who are all these men. Mine doesn’t even do food shopping!!

Saggi Sat 29-Dec-18 18:15:10

I’m with you soda pop ...grow a pair grumppa and refuse to go shopping! Sales and clothes shopping is too strenuous for men!

Elegran Sat 29-Dec-18 18:23:53

I am not sure that Grumpa needs to start defending himself against Mrs G, they seem to work as a team. Have you read a later post of his? "For the record, DW and I regularly shop together amicably, and we hardly ever go to the sales."

grumppa Sat 29-Dec-18 18:32:22

I have been pondering the ghastly word misandry, and it occurred to me that it is an anagram of randyism. So I shall never take accusations of misandry on Gransnet seriously again (come to think of it, I never did, anyway).

Grandmama Sat 29-Dec-18 18:41:53

Where is 'Grumpa's' post? I can't see it on p1. Am I missing something?

Chewbacca Sat 29-Dec-18 19:13:13

Yes

sodapop Sat 29-Dec-18 20:25:27

I take it misogyny falls into the same category grumppa

grumppa Sat 29-Dec-18 20:52:45

I can't find an anagram for misogyny! But if you are suggesting that I do not take misogyny seriously then I assure you that you are wrong. I was simply making tbe point that the humorous comments about men, mostly husbands, on Gransnet, do not amount to misandry in my book.

Thebeeb Sat 29-Dec-18 21:32:59

Paddy Anne. Mine DH is exactly the same. We shop or browse and visit coffee shops most weekends together. I shop with him and he shops with me. Doesn’t cost much when we browse and gets us out of the house. Apologies to all those shoppers we intrude upon!

sarahanew Sat 29-Dec-18 21:34:53

The only advantage to taking a man ladies clothes shopping is when he's paying

linjon Sat 29-Dec-18 22:41:10

I Suffer from anxiety which prevents me being able to go to shops alone. My DH does all the supermarket shopping, very efficiently. I mostly shop for clothes online but when I need to go to shops my DH is always with me. He is certainly not following me around looking miserable or carrying my bags for me. He is supporting me as only he can. I promise he doesn’t get in anyone’s way!!

Ameliarose Sun 30-Dec-18 05:29:41

First world problem
Be happy that you have OH

Rufus2 Sun 30-Dec-18 07:21:35

However, lots of other ladies are, like me, only too happy to hear a man's opinion
GrandtanteJE65; Especially when they are asked, " Does my bum look big in this?" and they answer "No!; of course not my dear!" tchgrin

Rufus2 Sun 30-Dec-18 07:38:31

I shall never take accusations of misandry on Gransnet seriously again
Grumppa; If I'm not "automatically wrong" being a male, as implied elsewhere in this thread, I understood you are a male, so you'd need a sex-change procedure to become the target of accusations of being a "misandrist"! Or have I got it all arse- about- face! ? tchshock

grumppa Sun 30-Dec-18 09:11:00

I didn't mean I was being accused of misandry; I was just referring to accusations of misandry flung around on GN by other males, presumably those of a sensitive disposition.

Rufus2 Sun 30-Dec-18 10:01:05

by other males, presumably those of a sensitive disposition
Grumppa; Well, there aren't many males around to do any flinging and I'm not of a sensitive disposition, so who are dobbing in? confused

Maggiemaybe Sun 30-Dec-18 10:29:57

My DH is a better sales shopper than me. We go our own ways in each store and meet up at an allotted time. He’ll find all sorts of quality stuff that fits, half price. Then he’ll be off for a coffee while I carry on rooting. I stagger in later with bags full of presents for other people, some discounted M & S curries and next year’s crackers. Occasionally a jumper I don’t really like that much, that’ll be going back the next week.

grumppa Sun 30-Dec-18 11:51:43

No names no pack drill, Rufus2.

Jalima1108 Sun 30-Dec-18 12:03:23

I don't like shopping very much, DH likes it even less.

Sometimes I 'lose' him in Waterstones or, if there is a DIY place anywhere near, leave him there; sometimes he will buy a couple of papers and go and sit in the car and read them!

We have a 'man-creche' in a pub a few miles away - unfortunately, it is in the middle of a village with only a tiny village shop.

I have been pondering the ghastly word misandry, and it occurred to me that it is an anagram of randyism
tchgrin

One of our male posters wrote that while Mrs X was shopping he preferred to sit outside a cafe with a cup of coffee and a cake and watch the girls go by. Inevitably someone reported him for being sexist and abusive, so he was reprimanded and suspended. He preferred to leave the forum completely.
Oh dear, is that what happened to him?
Does that mean I am not allowed to drool post about Rufus Sewell? After all, sauce for the goose and gander etc.

Urmstongran Sun 30-Dec-18 12:07:16

Poor man. Such a shame he felt it better to leave the forum than be castigated in that way.

Elegran Sun 30-Dec-18 12:33:38

At the time there were some puritan posters who felt as strongly about gentle banter as they did about verbal harassment. The poster in question had already said something previously that they didn't like.

sodapop Sun 30-Dec-18 12:52:59

If you can't stand the heat etc.

GrandmaMoira Sun 30-Dec-18 13:15:36

When my late DH was alive he would always drive me to the shops as I am a non driver. He would sit in a cafe/pub with coffee/newspaper while I shopped. If I got something heavy, I would bring it to him to save carrying it around the next shop. It worked very well and it's another thing I miss about being married - I hate going on the bus.