Gransnet forums

AIBU

....too be a bit annoyed?

(88 Posts)
BlueBelle Fri 11-Jan-19 03:53:22

I m sorry that this has upset you so much and can see how it would , but as a total stranger I ll play devils advocate and say I guess she’s looking out for her Dad he must have said that he wanted to live there to her or why else would she say that, surely you dont really feel she made it up to be vindictive as she only repeated what you already knew but has been buried under a warm blanket. You say you have always got on well with her and she’s a lovely girl so it doesn’t sound as if she is normally an ‘ interferer’

I suppose if you’re not married and don’t live together and have different outlooks about later life one of you is going to have to make a big sacrifice either him to not follow his dream sand stay with you, or you to not follow your dream and go with him or find a compromise you can both live with
I really don’t think you can blame the daughter he must have been discussing it with her for her to know his dreams I think you are quite right that you have to sit down and have a solid discussion with him and decide which one of you is going to make the ultimate sacrifice and how you can manage the situation
What a worry and what a shame I sincerely hope it works out for you both

Maggiemaybe Fri 11-Jan-19 00:46:12

What a shame, Flaxseed. It’s not your DP’s DD’s place to stick her oar in like this and I can well understand that you’ve been upset by it. Just sit down and have a heart to heart with your DP this weekend and find out what he really wants to do. You sound like a well-matched couple and I’m sure you’ll work things out.

MissAdventure Fri 11-Jan-19 00:13:22

Oh, that must hurt then, to think she may have been harbouring these feelings.
Plus its annoying that she felt it her place to point out all these 'obstacles',

Flaxseed Fri 11-Jan-19 00:11:13

missadventure
It has only been since her mums break up as far as I know.

She’s normally so quiet and lovely confused

Flaxseed Fri 11-Jan-19 00:09:31

harrigran she could still have a holiday abroad if he had a holiday home. smile

MissAdventure Fri 11-Jan-19 00:08:24

She's had plenty to say, then, obviously.
Is this all just in their recent chat, do you think?
Anything to do with her mums break up with her partner?

Flaxseed Fri 11-Jan-19 00:07:37

holdingontometeeth
They could also get a whole lot worse hmm.

If he’s influenced by her and we split up it would break my heart!

It took a long time to find him!

Flaxseed Fri 11-Jan-19 00:04:38

Thanks for understanding ladies.

The thing is - she is intending to work abroad - nowhere near the country DP would want to live hmm
She has lots of plans which certainly don’t include DP, which leads me to believe than her recent comments are to make him question our future.
One of her other ‘concerns’ is that I have a DGS.
Which apparently makes us too different. confused

holdingontometeeth Thu 10-Jan-19 23:57:19

I would look on the bright side of life. Things can only get better.

harrigran Thu 10-Jan-19 23:56:59

I can't help but think that DP's DD may have an agenda as in her Dad having a home abroad that would be ideal for her to be able to go for holidays.

MissAdventure Thu 10-Jan-19 23:46:24

I would be upset and angry, too, on so many levels.

mrsnonsmoker Thu 10-Jan-19 23:43:58

Evening Flax - no you're not too sensitive at all! That would really get to me. Its for you two to sort out or he can decide and be truthful about it, painful as that might be, but its not for his DD to be persuading or helping him, particularly rude of her to bring it up like that.

I am assuming he is someone who can normally discuss things rationally in which case I'd come to the same conclusion - that the DD doesn't like you and is trying to make out you are somehow standing in his way.

Flaxseed Thu 10-Jan-19 23:37:05

Background...
Divorced with 2 DD’s and 1 DGS
Partner divorced with 3 children.
All children at various stages, uni/work/starting family
We don’t live together but are, I like to think, a pretty solid couple. We sometimes touch on the subject of living together but we are both used to and like, the space that living apart gives us. It makes our time together really special.
When we first met, one of DP’s dreams was to retire to another country, or at least move into a rural part of Britain.
At first I accepted that we may not last, as I have never been prepared to do this, but obviously wouldn’t have wanted him to give up his dream for me.
But as time has passed , he’s spoken about it less and less and has become quite involved with life in his (semi rural ) village and is very settled there.

Just before Xmas, he said he had been chatting to his DD about her mother’s (DP’s ex wife) recently failed relationship.
They (apparently lightheartedly hmm) got onto the subject of our relationship and told me that his DD had said she was ‘concerned’ that ultimately we wanted different things so does wonder how it will work for us
confused

I don’t think he realised how hurt I would feel about the comment but there was no time to discuss it at that time. So, in true Flaxseed style, I let it eat away at me for a few days.
Until yesterday I had pretty much forgotten about it as we had a lovely time over the festive season and have spent a lot of time planning lovely things to do this year.
So, last night we were out with DP’s extended family & children and same DD brings up the subject and said ‘well Dad wants to buy a place in (fav country) don’t you Dad?’
DP kindly looked my way and said ‘I don’t think Flaxseed wants to though’
Feeling embarrassed, I said I’d compromise on a holiday home.
I then saw DD say quietly to DP ‘just do it’

It’s made me very unsettled today. If it’s something he really wants to do then I would’nt stand in his way but I feel he may be influenced into doing it by her.
I thought I got on well with her but now I feel that she actually doesn’t actually like me that much.

I couldn’t speak to DP last night as I was returning home earlier than the rest of them due to a long shift today.

I do plan to discuss it at the weekend though.

Am I overthinking this?
Would anyone else feel a bit pee’d off?
Am I just too sensitive?! blush