Gransnet forums

AIBU

Violent TV programmes

(82 Posts)
Bridgeit Tue 15-Jan-19 21:54:11

They seem to be the norm now, are they a reflection of parts of our society OR are they steering us towards accepting this as the norm .? Does this brainwash a generation of young people into carrying weapons as acceptable & par for the course?
It’s the same old question , do TV & films reflect reality or do we emulate what we see & watch?

Kim19 Wed 16-Jan-19 10:33:25

Tv's current showing of Les Mis is having rave reviews and yet I cannot bring myself to watch it because I find the plot harrowing in the extreme. My problem is that in many ways it actually reflected true life for some in that time. I can't seem to handle that.

nipsmum Wed 16-Jan-19 10:49:37

I like watching things like Silent Witness. I find the forensic aspects of programmes like that fascinating. Yes they contain violence but violence happens every day and has done since the beginning of time. If you don't like to see it you don't need to watch it.

Telly Wed 16-Jan-19 10:51:14

I refuse to watch anything that I know has extreme violence and if I find something unacceptable I will turn off. I think this level of violence brought into peoples homes can only do damage and make people think this is normal behaviour. I also find that I am unable to watch most wildlife films because the cameras are able to get up close and personal to creatures being eaten alive. I know it goes on, but I don't have to see it.

winterwhite Wed 16-Jan-19 10:58:55

We only see the trailers before the 10 o’clock news and that’s bad enough. And they make everything seem the same except for the dress. Bring back Hancock’s Halfhour!

Someone made a good point about our generation not flinching from cowboy and western films, and dressing up and play involving guns. But the exotic locations and the dressing up clothes confirmed it as make believe. Played out on home streets and with no horses it might have been a different matter.

Nanny41 Wed 16-Jan-19 11:08:49

I cant stand violent films or programmes dont watch them.I like documentaries and Countryfile kind of things, and love some of my soaps (none violent) Call the Midwife is my favourite.

Mamar2 Wed 16-Jan-19 11:18:41

It's a genre I enjoy...a good 'Who dun it'? Can't wait for Game of Thrones to begin again. I'm nearly 68 & don't plan anytime soon to go find my Dragon & fly off into the sunset.

sandelf Wed 16-Jan-19 11:19:22

You make a good point Bridgeit. Something to be said for Saint Paul - 'whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable — if anything is excellent or praiseworthy — think about such things'. - I love a mystery but have to look away from the gore. And Luther - too dark, cannot hear the speech, just not enjoyable.

Maggiemaybe Wed 16-Jan-19 11:26:24

I quite enjoy being scared in the (I hope!) safety of my own home, and remember being terrified by old horror films shown on TV late at night back in the 60s/70s, often involving Peter Cushing and Vincent Price and gruesome acts of revenge and madness in waxworks and asylums. The special effects would be laughable now, but seemed realistic enough then!

Bathbelle Wed 16-Jan-19 11:26:27

Who are 'they?'

Theoddbird Wed 16-Jan-19 11:39:29

I stopped watching soaps 10 or 11 years ago as they were getting so violent. It seems that programme makes ate trying to push the boundaries.

Abigailmckd Wed 16-Jan-19 11:57:58

I agree . programs were funnier in the 70's.simple humour that made u laugh and wasn't at someone's expense.violence and cruelty on TV leaves me thinking about it afterwards.not necessary for a good crime story.old films still have the best story lines.

Millie22 Wed 16-Jan-19 12:02:14

There used to be a drama series called 'Dangerfield' many years ago that you could watch without having to hide behind a cushion.

Jaycee5 Wed 16-Jan-19 12:30:08

eazybee I agree about Luther. Idris Elba can really carry a programme so it didn't need to be all blood and torture. It also seemed to be a 5th series just because they could but a lot of it seemed just a repetition of earlier programmes.

Juggernaut Wed 16-Jan-19 12:32:07

I got really fed up with TV a while ago, we have Sky Q, including movies and sport, Netflix and Amazon Prime, but some nights, there was just nothing we felt like seeing!
Yes, I know, it's a first world problem!
However, we're never short of something to watch as we have a huge DVD collection, including the full series of Poirot, Miss Marple (Joan Hickson of course), Sherlock Holmes (Jeremy Brett), Midsomer Murders, Bergerac, Dangerfield, Father Brown, Campion, Rosemary &Thyme, and others which I can't bring to mind right now.
Also comedies, Dad's Army, Fawlty Towers, The Thin Blue Line, Drop The Dead Donkey, Jeeves and Wooster, Bread, Watching, As Time Goes By, Frasier, 'Allo 'Allo, Citizen Smith, My Family, A Fine Romance, Friends, and a few others.
Loads of films too, in particular my B/W collection, Bringing Up Baby, It Happened One Night, I Married a Witch, 39 Steps (Robert Donat), Sherlock Holmes (Basil Rathbone), Arsenic and Old Lace, My Favourite Wife etc.
I don't mind a bit of blood and gore, and really enjoy Silent Witness, but Luther is a bit too much for me, even with the heart stoppingly gorgeous Idris Elba!
DH and DS have violent film nights at ours, while DDiL and I watch Rom-coms round at their house!

breeze Wed 16-Jan-19 12:34:57

If you like blood and gore 'American Horror Story' not recommended whilst eating.

Craftycat Wed 16-Jan-19 12:44:38

I turned Luther off too. I used to like the programme but far too violent for me now. Why do they insist on making these horrible programmes.
Give me Vera any day!

grandtanteJE65 Wed 16-Jan-19 13:07:25

After teaching teenagers most of my professional life, I have come to believe that violence in films and even sometimes in documentaries is dangerous.

When I started teaching in my twenties, I assumed that all teenagers could distinguish between fact and fiction, but many years ago now, I realised that this is not so.

I doubt that many adults find violence acceptable, but I have found that teenagers are more inclined to, as they have seen their heroes on TV and in films committing violence with impunity. The less thoughtful youngsters believe you can punch or kick a person repeatedly in the head with killing him because they have seen it done by film stars.

I now feel quite strongly that television and film companies as well as publishing firms should be reminded that they are cultural institutions that influence public opinion and behaviour.

Jane10 Wed 16-Jan-19 13:12:54

I agree grandtantJE65

Willow10 Wed 16-Jan-19 13:17:42

The nine oclock watershed seems to have disappeared completely now too. How often do switch on at 7pm to be told 'this episode contains scenes of violence which some viewers may find distressing'. I find myself yelling 'So why show it then?'

GrannyIris5 Wed 16-Jan-19 13:22:36

Father Brown and Grantchester. Easy watching, although I liked Whitechapel

David1968 Wed 16-Jan-19 13:52:14

DH says he gave up watching (most) "nature" programmes because of the sex and violence....

NanaandGrampy Wed 16-Jan-19 13:57:32

Some programmes manage to infer the violence and gore without having to show you in-depth detail. I much prefer that.

I think violence on TV does influence especially children. When the A Team first came out in the 80’s I think, I was a governor at a primary school and we had to ban the children from playing it for the simple reason that in copying the type of action from the TV we had a number of injuries.

When questioned the children all said that it’s ok because you get up afterwards and you’re not hurt because it’s like the tv!

I think the rise in on street violence can be directly related to the rise ( and detail) of on screen violence!

Juggernaut Wed 16-Jan-19 14:07:19

GrannyIris5
How could I forget Grantchester? Oooh, Robson Green!
I forgot about Endeavour too, and Morse/Lewis!

Magrithea Wed 16-Jan-19 14:43:51

I won't watch things that are very violent - I was going to watch Luther but then read about the first episode and the gruesome murders so ditched it!! I've been known to walk out on programmes that get gratuitously gruesome!

I know there are some horrible people out there who do nasty and violent things, I don't have to invite them into my living room!!!

Urmstongran Wed 16-Jan-19 15:02:47

‘Les Miserables’ is proving a difficult watch at times. Victor Hugo wrote it in 1845!