Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to expect men to wash their hands after going to the loo?

(95 Posts)
Annaram1 Sun 20-Jan-19 13:13:24

I belong to a friendship group. We meet once a month for a meal and chat. Its all very nice and friendly. However recently one of the ladies told me that her husband had told her after he went to the Gents that a lot of the men used the urinals and did not wash their hands after handling their willies. She told me the names of some of these men. Now I see these men who are all on the face of it lovely men and they come out of the Gents and start shaking hands with people and kissing the ladies and then eating …. all with dirty hands... It has ruined my nice group meetings.

BlueBelle Sun 20-Jan-19 18:51:29

?sparklefizz
Yes I do wash my hands but I don’t go round wondering if others do the same and I don’t check when I come out the loo to see if everyone else is washing
I remember once when I was camping walking into the ladies block to find a young lady cocking her leg over the sink and washing her unmentionables ??I never quite got that vision out of my head

Sparklefizz Sun 20-Jan-19 19:22:17

BlueBelle grin

gmelon Sun 20-Jan-19 19:38:13

As I exited the ladies an astonishly tall man was going into the men's which was straight opposite. This was in a supermarket where there is a sort of unisex lobby before we break off to our ladies or mens door.
I do avert my eyes with mens toilets as some men are still adjusting their clothing as they leave.
It was his great height that made me look, I wasn't expecting him to have penis in hand ready to go. He did seem in a rush though.

By the way, in the past were there signs asking men to "please adjust your clothing before leaving"?

Sparklefizz Sun 20-Jan-19 19:40:06

gmelon Ooh!

gmelon Sun 20-Jan-19 19:43:08

Oh Bluebelle.
I never use a basin either a public one or that I haven't had from new.
Now I know I'm not paranoid!
I always have the basin replaced when I move. I use a small strong washing up bowl if need be, very useful in hospital too.

Day6 Sun 20-Jan-19 19:44:33

I became a bit weird about the handles of supermarket trolleys after watching a man sneeze into his hands and then wipe snot on the handle. To make matters worse, he then scratched his bum and adjusted whatever he had in the front of his trousers. For good measure he then coughed and spluttered without covering his mouth in any way. He was returning his trolley. I avoided it.

I too am wary of loo doors and have seen plenty of women use the loo, inspect themselves in the mirror but leave without washing their hands. It isn't second nature to some people, is it?

gmelon Sun 20-Jan-19 19:51:29

A workman definitely did not wash his hands at my home.
I was listening for the taps. Don't we all do that?
When he went to shake hands goodbye I avoided it in a friendly manner.
I think women care care about these things.

I bet you wish hubby hadn't told you?
Or perhaps, yes, a good move.
Now you can avoid the "willie hands r us" group.

MissAdventure Sun 20-Jan-19 19:54:57

grin
I love this thread. Childish, I know.

BlueBelle Sun 20-Jan-19 20:01:29

But you are paranoid Gmelon ?
what harm is done, the water washes everything away I wasn’t gobsmacked at what she was doing but at the fact that she wasn’t bothered about anyone walking in while she was doing it i marvelled at her confidence
Why on earth replace a decent wash basin just because someone else has used it, bit of OCD there methinks
Don’t we all listen for taps. No we don’t! I think that’s a bit more about your problem there ?

BradfordLass72 Sun 20-Jan-19 20:25:29

Many years ago a friend took me to a wonderful restaurant for a birthday dinner. As she was paying, the receptionist asked us to help ourselves to the free mint imperials on the counter.
I was reaching for one, she pulled my hand away and said, 'I'll tell you outside.'
She then told me exactly what the OP has just so shockingly discovered, only it wasn't just wet willies after a wee wee.

Put me off mint imperials for life smile

BradfordLass72 Sun 20-Jan-19 20:29:17

" i marvelled at her confidence"

Not to mention her gymnastic abilities ! smile

Lazigirl Sun 20-Jan-19 20:29:56

Me too MissA. It's a wonder we haven't all died from the plague. smile

Lazigirl Sun 20-Jan-19 20:33:02

I know a few who always replace loo seats when they move to a new house.........

Alexa Sun 20-Jan-19 23:50:01

Bluebell is quite right. There are special circumstances where food is prepared for large numbers of people where hand washing is stringently required. Such as food factories, restaurants, carry outs, and food shops.

Otherwise it's common sense to wash fruit and veg , prevent blood leaking from meat packages, and don't wash the raw chicken but treat it with surgical care preferably straight into the hot oven or boiling water with it.

SparklyGrandma Mon 21-Jan-19 14:03:28

I was at the opticians last year and the man fitting my new specs hadn’t washed his hands, they smelt strongly of pee.

Grannybags Mon 21-Jan-19 14:47:33

When visiting my sister in hospital a while back my husband told me that a Doctor had come out of the toilet without washing his hands. I find that shocking and wasn't surprised when her ward was later closed to visitors because they were all struck down with Norovirus (sp?)

Mycatisahacker Mon 21-Jan-19 14:53:59

Always carry a small anti back hand rub in my handbag I use after shaking hands or before eating out. Discreetly.

Yeuk to walkers who don’t wash dirty sods

Alexa Mon 21-Jan-19 15:24:47

Mycatisahacker what good idea. I think I may get those and wipe the trolley handles.

Sussexborn Mon 21-Jan-19 16:12:17

A group of my friends all carry hand gel all the time. I was amazed at the gymnastics that were described by women using public loos. I remember hearing a mother telling her child to keep their hands by their side and not touch anything.

There are enough potential hang ups without deliberately creating them!

sodapop Mon 21-Jan-19 16:16:03

Why would one not buy a new lavatory seat on moving house lazigirl I don't understand you ?

Framilode Mon 21-Jan-19 16:20:18

Do you expect men to wash their penises before intercourse? If concerned about germs surely that would be more worrying.

Sparklefizz Mon 21-Jan-19 16:21:45

Yes Framilode, and I would expect to wash myself too.

Luckygirl Mon 21-Jan-19 16:23:03

And other erotic activities! grin

MissAdventure Mon 21-Jan-19 16:27:24

grin

Framilode Mon 21-Jan-19 16:30:13

Sparklefizz I agree if it is planned but what about spontaneous encounters? Not always possible to have a good wash.