Gransnet forums

AIBU

To be told to consider going to Prague?

(55 Posts)
phoenix Tue 22-Jan-19 18:40:14

Now, I've got nothing against Prague, I've never been but I'm sure it's perfectly delighful.

BUT I wasn't over chuffed to be advised to go there for my cataract surgery! shock

Went to the GP to ask if there was any way that the very long wait for the initial consultation appointment could be speeded up, as I'm getting bad eye strain, headaches and driving in anything less than good daylight is a worry.

My lovely GP was on holiday, so I had to see his partner. I had been told by others that she doesn't listen, this was born out by the fact that she asked me who my consultant was, errm, I have just told you that I am waiting for notification as to when the appointment IS, therefore I don't know who it is.

She then asked if I had considered going private. I asked how much that would be, she said around £3k.

I told her that I couldn't afford that.

She blithely replied "Well, you could go to Prague, it would only be about £2k there" !

I will NOT be taking an appointment with her again, and when I see my usual Doctor, will definitely mention her attitude!

PECS Thu 24-Jan-19 14:15:32

YABU as the doc only said you could go to Prague. When my GP once asked if I had PH insurance I was shocked but on reflection they were just making sure all options were known. If you did have a spare few thousand you might feel it worth using on an op!
A pal of mine has just cashed in a pension that was 'for a rainy day' to have an op privately rather than wait 3 months.

phoenix Sun 27-Jan-19 17:36:07

I can stand it no longer, the thought of carrying on like this (painful eyestrain and headaches) until possibly April, then another 5 months until surgery is more than I can take.

I am considering paying for a private consultation, then having the surgery on the NHS.

Not sure if that is possible here, but will make an appointment with my usual GP to find out.

Goes against the grain, having paid my contributions all my working life, but enough is enough.

PECS Thu 31-Jan-19 21:08:29

I amy do te same phoenix pay for a consultation with the person who will eventually be the person operating.. on NHS.

PECS Thu 31-Jan-19 21:09:48

Sorry.. terrible typing!
I may do the same phoenix pay for a consultation with the doc who will eventually be the person operating.. on NHS.