Gransnet forums

AIBU

Something that annoys me.

(129 Posts)
kittylester Sat 09-Feb-19 14:22:42

My real name is quite unusual and I use a shortened version. The shortened version can be spelt with or without an e on the end. I always use the e. My niece has the same name and doesn't. (She's wrong!!! grin)

AIBU to get really angry when people ignore my extra e? I know I am really but it infuriates me when I send a message or email and people don't take enough care to check.

Feel better now!!

Urmstongran Sun 10-Feb-19 10:47:30

My lovely dad had 3 first names and colleagues used one, his siblings used another and mum was introduced to him by a the third! I asked him once did he mind and wasn’t it all a bit confusing?
He laughed and said he didn’t mind what he was called as long as it wasn’t late for dinner!

Rosina Sun 10-Feb-19 10:49:44

I have a short surname but have to spell it out very carefully for people - it's not an unusual name at all, but remarkably the middle letters seem to get muddled and people produce some quite hilarious alternatives!

Dana6789 Sun 10-Feb-19 10:50:35

Has any one else read this thread and idly amused themselves trying to guess what some of these names could be?

JanaNana Sun 10-Feb-19 10:51:37

Two of my friends are Clair and Clare...hands up I do get the the wrong spellings sometime! Within my family several family names have been handed down, so for instance if we prompt someone to remember a birthday, someone will say " do you mean Freddy or little Freddie "and other abbreviations of the various names. It gets quite complicated sometimes. My maiden name was Dutch and nobody could spell it or say it correctly especially in my schooldays, it was mostly the teachers who could pronounce it, I used to get fed up having to spell and tell people how to say it. Life is much simpler with my married name though.

Happysexagenarian Sun 10-Feb-19 10:54:31

My first christian name has a male or female version and so many people get it wrong, even a friend I've known since primary school still spells it incorrectly! I spell my middle name with an 'e' on the end - I just think it looks nicer, but on my birth certificate there is no 'e'. It caused a bit of a hiccup with a passport application!

One of my GD has a fairly common christian name but spelt with an extra 'i' in it. It is going to be a thorn in her side all her life!

gilld69 Sun 10-Feb-19 10:55:20

I hate when people spell my name with J instead of a G i make a point of saying its Gill with a G

Nograndsyet Sun 10-Feb-19 10:55:47

My surname can also a be a Christian name but despite being my surname it’s actually spelt like the Christian name shock
I’ve exchanged Christmas cards with my neighbour for 20 years and they still spell my daughters name wrongly. smile

Suebcrafty Sun 10-Feb-19 10:58:27

My married surname is only 4 letters long but you have to spell it out to everyone as it usually gets spelt wrong ....one of my daughter in laws said she was so pleased to have an uncomplicated spelt surname,as her maiden name was 9 letters long and she always had to spell it out,until she realised that nothing had changed and she still had to spell it out to everyone grin

Canalboatgranma Sun 10-Feb-19 10:59:41

The name I use is not my given name, Kate not Kathleen, but I get called by my given name by health professionals and I hate it. My gd has a French name with two dots over the i, can see problems with that in the future especially as it changes the pronunciation of it.

trendygran Sun 10-Feb-19 11:02:10

My surname is one letter different from a well known TV personality so many people automatically spell it that way . I have to spell it out in shops ,or when giving my email address. I also get several variations of the surname .My late husband said it was always a problem . Have found a few people on Facebook with the same name but can’t find a family link so far.

quizqueen Sun 10-Feb-19 11:04:34

If it annoys you, kittylester, and it would me too, then point it out every single time you see it written incorrectly because it's just laziness or unthoughtfulness, especially from family or close friends. Email or telephone companies and ask them to correct it on their files immediately. If these same people or companies still keep getting it wrong, then write their names or titles incorrectly too every time you write to them; it may make you feel better.

Summerstorm Sun 10-Feb-19 11:05:37

A little bit of topic buti know. I was babysitting last night and my dgd got very cross with her mum who “said “come in Katie” dgd response “stop saying that mummy it’s not Katie, it’s grandma”. Older dgc tried their best to explain to her but at 3 it’s quite a difficult concept.

harrigran Sun 10-Feb-19 11:19:31

My sister has a three letter surname and you would not believe how many people get it wrong.
My DD and I have the same first name but she uses the shortened version so that family know who we are talking about.

Kate63 Sun 10-Feb-19 11:23:18

Very few people spell my birth name correctly so I shortened it. Why now do people want to lengthen my shortened name with a 'Y'? Most frustrating but there again there are far worse things to be concerned about. I'm with the chap now that it doesn't matter as long as we're not late for dinner. ?

Millie22 Sun 10-Feb-19 11:28:30

There are really only two ways to spell my name but my stepmum gets it wrong on every birthday and Christmas card for the last thirty years.

CaroleAnne Sun 10-Feb-19 11:33:27

My first and second name each have an E at the end and I feel undressed without them. Quite a few people lease it off particularly with my first name. So I do share your sentiments Kitty.

Nona4ever Sun 10-Feb-19 11:33:49

My favourite heroine - Anne of Green Gables - always introduced herself as Anne-with-an-e.
It worked for her.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 10-Feb-19 11:36:18

We were probably all brought up to regard it as very rude to misspell or mispronounce somebody's name. I certainly was.

However, it does seem to be something that those younger than us have never been taught.

My parents landed me with two foreign Christian names and a Scottish surname that only very few people have. It has two spellings, ours without the a in Mc and they other branch of the family that uses the a in Mac.

I spent my entire childhood spelling my name; moved to Denmark where I only had to spell my surname, but also had to put up with it being written with a full stop after Mc, however many times I said that this is wrong.

Don't get me started on letters placed in pigeon holes or hotel bookings! The only letter anything for me wasn't under was M. The Royal Library in Copenhagen being the sole exception, as they always list foreign surnames as they would be listed in the country of origin.

Now, having a Danish surname (DH's) I only need to spell it when abroad.

Yes, it still annoys me when people do not take the trouble to spell my name correctly. What irritates me even more is receiving post or e-mails addressed to Mr two obviously female Christian names Grandtante!

I'm not making it up, this happens now and again. Not even secretaries seem to be trained to write names correctly and to read through anything they have written before dispatching it.

icanhandthemback Sun 10-Feb-19 11:40:49

I get my name spelt wrongly all the time. I have friends who always address my Christmas card with a Z even though I write mine with the correct spelling every year. They also add an extra letter at the end. I can introduce myself with the correct pronunciation and they will immediately pronounce it wrongly. I used to get highly irritated about it but life is too short to keep raising my blood pressure over their stupidity so I am far more relaxed about it now.

Sparklefairydust Sun 10-Feb-19 11:46:15

I have an unusual spelling to a common name, first day at school I spent the day on my own in the corridor after arguing with the teacher for spelling my name wrong! I even had to return a passport because they used the usual spelling. I go by a shortened version of it as an adult which saves people getting it wrong!

Urmstongran Sun 10-Feb-19 11:49:14

Me Dana as well!
Just as an aside we’re not being very PC are we? One isn’t supposed to say ‘christian’ name any more as obviously we are not all Christians.
We are supposed to be calling them ‘first’ names now aren’t we?
?

adrisco Sun 10-Feb-19 11:53:26

I'm "Gill" .. not "Jill"" as so many of my family/friends insist on writing in cards. An aunt of mine always calls my daughter in law "Lara" .. it's "Laura" …. so annoying!
Laura just laughs. Maybe it's me getting old and crotchety!!

Mumben Sun 10-Feb-19 11:55:12

My name is Tracy and I too get riled when my name is spelt incorrectly, especially if I have just sent an email or txt with the correct spelling, and the reply spells it wrongly, I feel this is quite rude but maybe I shouldn’t fret as there are worse things happening in the world.

Legs55 Sun 10-Feb-19 12:00:09

I am known by my middle name which has several spellings which ends with an e, Officially my first name is used leading to much confusion as my email contains my middle name.

When DD was born we gave here a name that can be spelt with or without an e, her's is without, you won't believe how many people add an egrin

My Surname is unusual as DH's Parents were Austrian, I've had many mis-spellings despite using the phonetic alphabethmm

I always used to say I don't mind what you call me as long as it's not rude!!!!1

Jayelld Sun 10-Feb-19 12:15:19

My full na me is Jacqueline, never used, even the spell check doesn't recognise it. I use Jaqi!!!
But I get various spellings like - jacqui, jaqui, Jackie, Jacky, jax etc etc. Even my family get it wrong!
I just go with the flow, it's easier!