Gransnet forums

AIBU

Something that annoys me.

(129 Posts)
kittylester Sat 09-Feb-19 14:22:42

My real name is quite unusual and I use a shortened version. The shortened version can be spelt with or without an e on the end. I always use the e. My niece has the same name and doesn't. (She's wrong!!! grin)

AIBU to get really angry when people ignore my extra e? I know I am really but it infuriates me when I send a message or email and people don't take enough care to check.

Feel better now!!

maryhoffman37 Sun 10-Feb-19 09:56:22

You wouldn't think you could get Mary wrong but I've had Marry!

Smiley4 Sun 10-Feb-19 09:56:30

I’m the same. I have a surname that is always spelt wrong. And a first name that has two different ways of spelling it.

Personally. It doesn’t really bother me. I always think there are far far more important things to be upset about.

But if it bothers you, then it bothers you and your friends should be aware of it.

dragonfly46 Sun 10-Feb-19 09:58:05

Oh gosh kitty that had me rummaging around my Sent box. I am guilty I am afraid of dropping the 'e' but will not do so in future.

My name has an 'a' on the end but so many people leave it off which changes my name completely. I find that extremely annoying.

Bathsheba Sun 10-Feb-19 10:01:32

My name can be spelt two ways - mine is the more uncommon version. And yes, it gets my goat too when people use the wrong spelling, especially when replying to a an email, where not only is my name printed at the bottom, but my email address itself shows my first name spelt in full!
I know 'worse things happen at sea' and so on, and it really shouldn't matter, but I just feel it's ever so slightly ill-mannered not to get it right.

Nannyme Sun 10-Feb-19 10:02:40

I sympathise but its a problem with anything these days, If I send a message or email I only ever ask one question because people are too lazy to read and absorb anything more.

opalyo Sun 10-Feb-19 10:05:19

My name is getting more common now, but I was the only person I ever knew with it. It starts with a J, which is pronounced as Y. I will basically answer to anything that starts with those sounds because I have been called by the wrong name most of my life. It became a game for me when I was training to see what the next ward would come up with.

GrannyBettie Sun 10-Feb-19 10:06:09

I have a surname which can be spelt with or without an 's' at the end. Mine doesn't but that doesn't stop people adding one. I have learned to live with it.

Maidmarion Sun 10-Feb-19 10:07:01

Yes, I find it odd when I send an email (for instance) and type my name then when I get a reply people spell it with a totally different ending...!! Did they not see my name on the original email I wonder ?
And I won't even mention the weird and wonderful ways people spell my surname...!!!!!

Granjan06 Sun 10-Feb-19 10:09:31

I often get my name misspelt which does annoy me, especially when I have spelt it out. My youngest daughter often has hers mis pronounced.... I vividly remember her as a 4 year old standing with hands on hips and correcting a relative by stating 'my name has a H at each end' by the time she was 8 she wanted to change her name to Bernadette, she's now in her 30's never has changed it though.

DotMH1901 Sun 10-Feb-19 10:15:46

My given name is Dorothy - I admit it is an old fashioned name, I was named for my Mum's younger sister who died when she was only seven years old. Over the years I have become accustomed to having my name misspelled and usually prefer to use the short version of Dot to avoid any confusion. I have had Dorthy, Dorthey, Dorothe, Dorothee, Dortee and other similar versions of my actual name.

sodapop Sun 10-Feb-19 10:16:10

My surname if spelled with two wrong letters has a bodily fluid meaning. Wish people would get it right.
I dislike the trend for giving forenames different spellings it's pretentious and often just silly.

4allweknow Sun 10-Feb-19 10:17:00

My surname can have an "e" at the end but I don't. My 3 children's name can be spelled in different ways and they are! My DGd is the best for so many variations. All of their names are traditional regional names but folk just seem to go for the phonetic version not bothering to check. What really annoys me are the made up names and the way out spellings of some traditional names. Should be like one of the Scandinavian countries (Sweden I think) where your name has to be on the official list or it isn't allowed to be registered.

Aepgirl Sun 10-Feb-19 10:17:07

My middle name, although quite common in its day, was misspelled by my father when he registered me. Obviously it’s a name I only need to write on official forms, etc, but I do get cross when professional firms don’t spell it the way I have written it, and I even had one bank cashier ask me if I was sure that it was correct. I pointed out that I had had with me for over 70 years so I think I know how to spell it!

Urmstongran Sun 10-Feb-19 10:17:54

Anyone else think the spelling of Lyndsey is a nightmare? With an ‘i’ or a ‘y’?
With or without a ‘d’?
With an ‘a’ or an ‘e’?
Aargh!!

Nannytopsy Sun 10-Feb-19 10:17:57

My mother had me after a stroke and couldn’t say Elizabeth, my first name. I have always been known by my second name. No problem, until this age of computers. Now I have to give formal names, so Elizabeth, which causes confusion!

Oldwoman70 Sun 10-Feb-19 10:21:58

I don't mind if people spell my name wrong - what really annoys me is when they shorten it (it is only two syllables for goodness sake!). I have been fighting this ever since I was a child to no avail. I have tried ignoring the person speaking to me until they say my full name but the next time I see them they still shorten it. angry

mokryna Sun 10-Feb-19 10:23:31

My real name, because I live in France, is nearly always written and pronounced wrong. I have been working in the same places for 20 years, I gave up a long time ago correcting them. But woe betide me if it's the other way round.

TerryM Sun 10-Feb-19 10:24:03

My actual surname is very uncommon in its spelling.
When I spell it out for people..they promptly query it. Ummm yepp almost 60 I know my surname had it all my life (I am one of.those ones who didn't change her surname on marriage)

Nana05 Sun 10-Feb-19 10:25:35

Bith my Christian name and Surname can be spelt with or without an e. Mine do not have an e on either! But rather annoyingly people put an e on one or the other or both. I can’t win!

grannytotwins Sun 10-Feb-19 10:33:05

I genuinely can’t remember if the many Anns I know spell their names with an E or not. I will try to look it up, but if I can’t find anything, I guess. Maybe it’s just me, but I’ve a total block about this. MaggieMaybe, I totally relate to your situation. I’ll never forgive my parents for my name. I get Margret and Margeret.

libra10 Sun 10-Feb-19 10:35:35

My name is spelt with an e (feminine version), yet people often write the masculine version of the name, with i.

Am always having to correct it.

Nanny41 Sun 10-Feb-19 10:38:02

My DH had his name changed by Deed Poll a few months ago, he has two S in the middle of his surname, some people spellt with one S and others with two, snag was at Airports the name on some documents was with two S as many people spell it here (not in UK) but on his Passport with one S so now all official documents have the correct spelling, name with one S it sounds ridiculous, but now it will work.

Nanny41 Sun 10-Feb-19 10:39:38

My name if shortened, as it usually is, can be male or female,can cause confusion in correspondence.

Annaram1 Sun 10-Feb-19 10:43:25

My name is actually Annette, but everyone has always called me Anne with an e, but as its a shortened form of my actual name it means nothing if they miss out the e. I prefer Anna which I think is pretty, and nobody ever misspells that. When I went to Brazil last year people called me by the Brazilian pronunciation which is like Anneechee.
My surname is Indian and when I was at work in charge of a department I was amused to find that in 3 months of correspondence my name was spelled in over 70 different ways!

coast35 Sun 10-Feb-19 10:44:49

I have a friend called Mhairi. It is pronounced Vary. She says the best thing she has been called is Ma Hairy. Lol?‍♀️?‍♀️