Gransnet forums

AIBU

Interesting times

(35 Posts)
Mycatisahacker Mon 25-Feb-19 19:37:24

Seriously does anyone have a best guess who will be in power this time next year? Will labour be a spent force? Will this new centre ground ‘party’ fly? Will the ERG shut up? Will we have brexuted? Will Anna Soubery ever shut up? Will Theresa May and Jeremy be sectioned together to get rid of them?

Do you ever know of a more mad political time?

phoenix Mon 25-Feb-19 19:42:59

The title of your thread put me in mind of an ancient Chinese "curse" (the Chinese people are by tradition very polite, I believe, so by modern standards the curse might be seen as somewhat mild.)

It is "May you live in interesting times" in other words turbulence rather than peace.

(Well, that's my interpretation of it!)

Mycatisahacker Mon 25-Feb-19 19:49:32

That’s funny phoenix I have heard that before on gransnet and it seems quite risky! I have to say I prefer safe and secure grin

Bridgeit Mon 25-Feb-19 20:08:53

We need a new Party.
Perhaps named , Giveusago or Cantbeanyworse .

Anniebach Mon 25-Feb-19 20:18:33

We need a new party but no way would it work with ex labour MP’s and Anna Soubrey who is true blue. And a new party couldn’t get out of the starting blocks in a year .

Unbelievable, the Tory government is in turmoil but still ahead in the polls.

mcem Mon 25-Feb-19 20:21:32

Precisely what I said a few days ago to a poster who is fairly entrenched in his pro-brexit views.
Not sure if he understood it but haven't seen him since!

kittylester Mon 25-Feb-19 20:23:08

It tells you something about JC and co doesn't it, annie!

It's all a right shambles!

Mycatisahacker Mon 25-Feb-19 20:27:26

Anniebach

Agree.

We have all loved through tumultuous times but this? No idea how it will pan out.

I know I should like Anna but I don’t! She reminds me of the bossy mothers at the PTA grin

Mycatisahacker Mon 25-Feb-19 20:28:23

Bridgeit

wink

Anniebach Mon 25-Feb-19 20:32:11

kitty i said ages ago, choosing who to vote for , Tory or labour , do we want to be shot or hanged

Mycatisahacker Mon 25-Feb-19 20:47:43

It the new party? Will chukka smother Anna or Visa versa because both would want to be leader and neither shit up

Mycatisahacker Mon 25-Feb-19 20:47:54

Oh shut up wink

52bright Mon 25-Feb-19 20:59:10

Bridgeit ...I would vote for a party named Can'tbeanyworse ...
Could only hope they lived up to their name grin

Charleygirl5 Mon 25-Feb-19 21:41:15

I have always voted but who would I vote for at the next general election? I was not planning to this time around.

lemongrove Mon 25-Feb-19 21:45:57

Mycat.....your phone! Haha.

We don’t know what will be happening next week, never mind next year.

Can’t see the new group really getting anywhere tbh.
Maybe they will eventually stand as Independents.

We do need a centre party though ( and not the LIB DEMS!)
grin

Mycatisahacker Mon 25-Feb-19 22:03:43

Totally agree Lemongrove grin

GillT57 Mon 25-Feb-19 22:09:41

May be we should have a box on the ballot paper 'none of the above". Not sure what the end result would be but that is how I feel

Urmstongran Mon 25-Feb-19 22:16:49

And Chuka Umunna the wannabe Nick Clegg, Tom Watson's quiet scheming, there's lots to be unimpressed with these days ...

Mycatisahacker Mon 25-Feb-19 22:26:49

chukka the wannabe Nick Clegg

grinspot on

phoenix Mon 25-Feb-19 22:36:02

Mycat I think we all prefer safe and secure, which is why the phrase "May you live in interesting times" is regarded as a curse!

PS may be wrong, but I think it may actually have been me that posted it before!

Mycatisahacker Mon 25-Feb-19 22:48:53

phoenix

I think it was you grin

Grandad1943 Tue 26-Feb-19 08:21:40

Let's face it, this government could collapse at any time, especially if the three Cabinet ministers who have threatened to resign over brexit actually do in the next week or so.

We could then have a General Election, but Brexit would have to be delayed for that to take place. The alternative could be a coalition government made up of the Labour party and the SNP and perhaps the Independence Group

Now, there is a thought. I wonder what their policies would consist of? confused

The Queen could find herself dragged into all this very soon. Who would she call to the palace in the event of the fall of this government?

Anniebach Tue 26-Feb-19 09:03:14

Some labour MP’s will quite if Corbyn goes for ‘the people’s vote’.

Grandad1943 Tue 26-Feb-19 09:16:28

Anniebach Quote [Unbelievable, the Tory government is in turmoil but still ahead in the polls.] End Quote.

I seem to recall that the Tory party had a twenty point lead in the opinion polls in 2017. Therefore, Theresa May thought she was on a sure bet when she called the general election that year. However, her horse fell at the first fence causing her to lose the Tories their overall majority in parliament. The Labour party in that election had the largest rise in its poll share since 1945.

The above has brought this country to the political impasse it finds itself in now, with the ERG party (a party within a party) leading this government "around by the nose."

History has a habit of repeating itself, and it is quite possible that a fresh general election could result in another poll disaster for the Conservative party when all issues are placed in front of the electorate.

Very uncertain times indeed, especially for this government.

Anniebach Tue 26-Feb-19 09:18:13

Corbyn still lost the election