Gransnet forums

AIBU

Easter presents

(110 Posts)
Singlegrannie Sun 03-Mar-19 13:01:11

Do they transmitters but presents at Easter ? In my family we o my bought Easter Eggs for children, but my daughter has married a man whose family treats it as another Christmas, and I have been included in the receiving and consequently the giving.

ReadyMeals Mon 04-Mar-19 11:52:08

Oh no I just do the chocolate eggs. No card either. I'd only do a different type of gift if I knew the person was not eating chocolate for some reason, like a diet.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 04-Mar-19 12:08:27

Only Easter eggs here,

JanaNana Mon 04-Mar-19 12:17:28

I would just send a really nice card addressed to the whole family, and only give Easter eggs for the children. It's nice they include you in their celebrations but most families have their own traditions, so you should not really be expected to follow theirs if it's not something you would usually do or want to do. Obviously your daughter has adopted the way her in-laws do things, but that doesn't mean to say you have to do as well. If you start this year to just send a card, then this will become "your thing".

stella1949 Mon 04-Mar-19 12:43:31

I only do eggs, but my son's children are part of a family which treats it like another Christmas. Last Easter my granddaughter got an expensive hairdryer , and my grandson got a computer game. Their mother got a Gucci handbag from her parents, apparently. I just look and wonder at the extravagance of it all.

GabriellaG54 Mon 04-Mar-19 12:47:32

Eggs...lots of them ????????

sarahellenwhitney Mon 04-Mar-19 12:52:33

I recall during my childhood spending easter, like xmas, as a celebration.Church on easter sunday. lunch at my aunts house, opening our easter eggs then, weather permitting, countryside walks with us kids picking primroses and violets Back to my aunts for hot cross buns and Simnel cake.

Sueki44 Mon 04-Mar-19 12:54:17

I’m from the North East originally and we always made a bit of a fuss over Easter....dying hard boiled eggs with onion skins etc. My children are grown but I still do Easter baskets. For children I collect things all year : pencils with wooden animals on, socks with rabbits on, soap eggs. I also buy Easter activity books, which prove very popular. For an adult how about a book mark with spring flowers on or a sachet of bath salts/ drawer scents....both easy to post

Theoddbird Mon 04-Mar-19 13:01:45

My grand children get a small gift...maybe a book instead of Easter eggs...they get enough chocolate eggs without me adding to the pile...

If I was you I would stand my ground....tell them it is not your way. Up to them how they do it but I think it gives children the wrong idea...

Bijou Mon 04-Mar-19 13:19:10

I send my grandaughter money to buy the children eastereggs. They and their friends have an Easter egg hunt in their large garden.

pamhill4 Mon 04-Mar-19 13:37:47

To Christians Easter is far more important than Christmas because it’s the cornerstone of Christianity; Jesus’ resurrection and promise of the hope of eternal life. Hence the big celebration. We also have a big Christmas type meal plus a family Easier egg hunt

Foxyloxy Mon 04-Mar-19 13:53:41

I don’t stick with anything per se. My kids always had hunt the ‘chocolate’, as I thought there was better value in chocolate bars than eggs, but they always got plenty of eggs from numerous aunts/grand parents etc. My grand children get according to whether we are with them or not. It’s £5.00 each, and usually a story or art book if we won’t be seeing them, and a treasure hunt if we are there.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 04-Mar-19 14:19:43

I agree with chewbacca, it's yet another excuse for the retailers to get us to part with more money. A small egg is surely sufficient. If the parents can afford to indulge that's fair enough.

MoonB61 Mon 04-Mar-19 14:20:35

I do a very elaborate Easter egg hunt with lots of clues, choc eggs and other treats and a pressie at the end for my 7 GC. Varying ages means varying clues and treats. But even my kids (in their 30 /40s love it. All the clues are in rhyme and appropriate for their age. It takes me ages to set it all up, but I love it!
Do what you feel like doing and don't get lumbered into something you don't want.

PamGeo Mon 04-Mar-19 14:29:33

Have a chat with your daughter, as you have diabetes in the family chocolate and sugary things aren't fun. Families spending time together and making memories can be, see if this can be the focus rather giving and receiving "stuff" that's not needed

notanan2 Mon 04-Mar-19 14:34:50

No, not between adults. A bunch of daffodils if visiting but no easter gifts are for kids only in my circles.

PECS Mon 04-Mar-19 14:44:27

We give eggs, have an Easter Egg hunt and decorate hard boiled eggs to eat on Easter Sunday morning with special Easter cakes. Easter is still a big celebration for me now as it was when I was a child.

The eggs I give my DGC might be those cardboard ones with a small gift inside or just a chocolate one. It depends on what I see when out and about. DH & DDs may also get a small egg or chocolates/flowers. Not other types of gifts.

PECS Mon 04-Mar-19 14:49:47

Sueki44 that is also my childhood Easter memory as my mother's family from NE.

I have passed it on the DDs and DGCs. We spent ages last year binding eggs with onion skins having put pressed flowers/ leaves under the skin so it left its shape on the egg!

Anrol Mon 04-Mar-19 14:52:53

A small bag of small eggs per family: small furry chick, bunny or egg shaped tin for GD’s and bunch of daffs or tulips for the ladies, and if there are any sulky men around who like chocolate, I might have a few spare cream eggs in my bag.

Chucky Mon 04-Mar-19 15:17:23

@Singlegrannie. Not sure what the issue is?
You say “my daughter has married a man whose family treats it as another Christmas”!!!
Then in another post say*“It's usually an Easter egg or chocolates”*!!
That’s hardly treating it like Christmas unless your dds ils only give a selection box or similar as Christmas presents??
In my household we do give Easter eggs as gifts, but that is certainly nothing like our Christmases!!!

Sueki44 Mon 04-Mar-19 15:18:16

What a lovely idea PECS! I’ve also bought egg ‘wraps’ from Lakeland.You simply place them round the hard boiled eggs, dip them in boiling water and they shrink round them.
Did you used to ‘jarp’ the eggs?

Barmeyoldbat Mon 04-Mar-19 16:51:47

I have never done easter eggs. GC seemed to receive loads from other family members so I just treat them during the year.

Telly Mon 04-Mar-19 16:58:19

If you dont want to participate then I would say something now. If you are actually seeing someone on the day and they are giving you a gift then I would feel obliged to buy some flowers. Here I buy Easter Eggs for just about everyone, eggs hunts when they were smaller but an egg or nothing as far as I am concerned.

horleyflyer Mon 04-Mar-19 18:06:07

My children had eggs and small gifts....just things I'd picked up along the way and didn't want to give them immediately as random treats seemed like spoiling.
I do the same for my grandbabies. I can't wait till their birthdays to bestow all the randoms. We're not talking big gifts....just some small ones.

Grandmama Mon 04-Mar-19 18:59:53

I send Easter cards to a few people just to keep in touch. Children have small eggs hidden round the garden on Easter Day.

quizqueen Mon 04-Mar-19 19:33:08

I've just bought all my Easter Eggs for adults and children, reduced to 75p each in Tesco. That's it.