Gransnet forums

AIBU

Angry or amused?

(44 Posts)
Namsnanny Fri 08-Mar-19 16:17:32

Just sat here in cafe window minding my own business when along comes a teen making that awful masterbation gesture at me!!! Some school boys behind him found it so funny they all copied him!!! 49 percent of me want to do it back to them just for the shock value ;-) but the 51 percent dignified side of me pretended to ignore it!! Life eh! What would you do?

callgirl1 Fri 08-Mar-19 16:19:23

Just what you did, they hate being ignored.

B9exchange Fri 08-Mar-19 16:25:52

Definitely ignore. Turn your back and find something interesting in the cafe. I blame the parents wink

lemongrove Fri 08-Mar-19 16:35:58

Having never seen that gesture ( I live a sheltered life) grin
Not sure how obscene it was, but think I would have shook my head pityingly at them and gone back to reading the paper.

MissAdventure Fri 08-Mar-19 16:47:30

I'd probably go back to reading my paper whilst I slowly gave them the middle finger.

Gonegirl Fri 08-Mar-19 16:51:32

Ignored them.

Gonegirl Fri 08-Mar-19 16:52:39

I like to be tucked up safely indoors when the school kids are about.

BlueSapphire Fri 08-Mar-19 16:59:23

I remember a child doing that at school! Last day of term and handing out ice lollies to the class, and a particularly obnoxious child started doing it to his lolly. Luckily he was seen by another teacher who whipped the lolly out of his hands, so he went without. Serve him right, I'm afraid.

bikergran Fri 08-Mar-19 17:14:25

I used to work as a car valeter, we had the massive windows car show room windows.

A young lad (prob start of secondary school used to walk past making gestures hmm

But one day he was saw engrossed making the gestures he forgot about the Lampost!!! ha ha ha lol Oh !! revenge as they say is best served cold lol. "Smack" right into the lampost. lol 40 yrs later I can still picture the scene lol

bikergran Fri 08-Mar-19 17:14:58

" so" engrossed not saw!

Anniebach Fri 08-Mar-19 17:17:26

Ignored them, they thought they would anger or embarrass

Urmstongran Fri 08-Mar-19 18:05:38

I’d have ignored them.

eazybee Fri 08-Mar-19 18:12:22

I would have ignored them, but sometimes a reciprocal gesture has a shock effect.
My ex father in law, who thought a woman's place was barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen, was always giving women drivers a mouthful of foul abuse, until the day a smartly dressed woman in an expensive car simply stared expressionlessly at him then gave him a V sign and drove away.
He was speechless.

EllanVannin Fri 08-Mar-19 18:16:50

Best thing is ignoring them as most have said because the airheads are only waiting for a reaction and when that's not forthcoming they'll just go on to the next one, or give up altogether. Let's hope the next one gives them a fourpenny one !

Gonegirl Fri 08-Mar-19 18:22:26

grin

BradfordLass72 Fri 08-Mar-19 19:40:17

I have no idea what you mean but I can guess.
Poor deprived souls, they can't be living very interesting lives if that sort of thing amuses them.

I suspect I'd laugh.

annodomini Fri 08-Mar-19 20:24:52

They hope to shock us old fogeys. Best to show that all they are is boring.

M0nica Fri 08-Mar-19 21:06:36

I would just fail to notice it, I have found that seemingly being unaware when someone is trying to shock by either making gestures or saying something that is meant to be shocking, rather takes the wind out of their sails.

Elrel Fri 08-Mar-19 21:22:44

Either ignore or an eye roll.

phoenix Fri 08-Mar-19 23:14:03

Perhaps repeat the gesture back to them, but just using the thumb and forefinger, indicating that they have a very small, teeny weeny penis! (To match the size of their brain)

stella1949 Sat 09-Mar-19 04:36:00

I agree with phoenix - indicate that you think their penis is terribly tiny !

Reminds me of my sister who went out with a boy back in her teens - he suddenly whipped out his penis like a magician pulling a rabbit out of a hat. She had the presence of mind to say " Gee I'd need a microscope to see that ! "

annep1 Sat 09-Mar-19 05:21:42

I would be tempted to reply but know I shouldn't. But honestly, how times have changed! Disgusting!

GrandmainOz Sat 09-Mar-19 05:28:51

missadventure?

harrigran Sat 09-Mar-19 08:55:59

I would ignore them, they could approach you and then you would feel threatened.
In our town a teenage girl was vandalising a building, when told to stop she pushed her face right into the face of the person talking and said "make me". I have seen the video, she was so venomous it made my blood run cold.

annodomini Sat 09-Mar-19 09:00:47

NO! What they want is a reaction. Any reaction. Don't give them the satisfaction. End of.