Gransnet forums

AIBU

House of Commons Canteen

(83 Posts)
Gonegirl Wed 27-Mar-19 16:41:01

Photo filched from Twitter.

Why can they get that so cheap? It's 5 or 6 in pubs round here! Why are we subsidising their food?

Blinko Fri 29-Mar-19 11:06:31

These people are rich, by most ordinary people's standards. Even if they have only shock an MP's salary, surely they do not need subsidised food and drink.

Here's an idea: the Crown Estate to purchase a couple of tower blocks within walking distance of the HoP; do them up to, say, John Lewis standard; MPs living outside a sensible agreed travelling time of the HoP would be required to use these apartments on a 'hot desk' basis when in London. To avoid subletting, no MP would actually own a flat.

No more outlandish MPs expenses. Job done!

Jalima1108 Fri 29-Mar-19 11:08:43

I think I posted that idea ages ago about apartment blocks near the HoP being available to MPs, Blinko, it seems sensible at first.

The problem is that many live in London most of the time, their children go to school in London and they only visit their constituencies at weekends - where they also require a home.
That gave rise to the 'flipping' scandals.

Ladyinspain Fri 29-Mar-19 11:23:22

And these cretons vote against Free School Meals for the poorer kids!! I want to slap them

nannypiano Fri 29-Mar-19 11:42:42

Perhaps post Brexit we could have a clear out of these lazy over educated bassoons we refer to as politicians and select real people who understand what it's like to live with constant money worries, mortgages, families to feed, etc. I think they have all been on the gravy train too long. Time to jump off, or get pushed off, if this country is ever to be Great Britain again. Of course they should not have subsidised food and drink. On their earnings they should be charged double.

Patticake123 Fri 29-Mar-19 12:03:17

It is a disgraceful mess. Eton, I note has a lot to answer for. That too is a registered charity getting subsidies for the poor charity cases that attend. We are being taken for mugs and unfortunately I predict it will get worse when the headlines on my morning paper today states’Johnson primed and ready for No10’. What a sorry state we are in.

GillT57 Fri 29-Mar-19 12:18:24

The main issue here is the subsidy by taxpayers, not how much anyone does or does not earn. I also think that any MP who lives in what would be described as a commuter constituency should be expected to commute, exactly like their constituents do. Maybe have a hotel/rooms available for those times when the house debates over run. Obviously those MPs representing constituencies outside this limit should have homes in or near London so they can spend the majority of the working week with their families. My MP represents a commuting constituency, yet his family home is in South London. Fair enough, but he stings the taxpayer for rent of a large farmhouse just outside his constituency, a large farmhouse which just happens to be owned by his sister in law who now lives overseas. Are you happy with that Gabriella? I most certainly am not.

Blinko Fri 29-Mar-19 12:20:30

over educated bassoons love it, Nannypiano continuing the musical theme.

Hi Jalima, yes, I think I've mentioned the block of flats idea before, too. It does seem that these people can't lose, moneywise, at least hmm

Cold Fri 29-Mar-19 13:02:22

All of the eateries and bars in the House of Commons are subsidized by the taxpayer.

Last year it cost taxpayers over £4 million for MPs to enjoy cheap food and drinks

GillT57 Fri 29-Mar-19 13:12:16

well I am sure we can all think of better ways of spending that £4m Cold. Maybe for a start, it could be put towards the massive potential costs of preserving and refurbishing the Palace of Westminster? It is in their benefit, their place of work, so only right that they lose their subsidised food and drink to pay for it.

Jaye53 Fri 29-Mar-19 13:24:29

I agree wholeheartedly Gill

HootyMcOwlface Fri 29-Mar-19 13:26:09

Pigs at the trough.

annodomini Fri 29-Mar-19 13:33:52

How can we ever be expected to have any respect for these unprincipled greedy human beings.

sweetcakes Fri 29-Mar-19 13:46:39

HootyMcOwlface
??? had a mental image of them all in rows snouts in their Eton mess ?

notanan2 Fri 29-Mar-19 13:49:15

Ive been to one of those cafes in HOP. Was mostly visitors/public using it not MPs. You can tour the HOP there are a LOT of people in there not just MPs

Day6 Fri 29-Mar-19 13:56:41

I cannot for the life of me understand why we subsidise the meals and drinks of our very well paid MPs.

It's an old tradition which should be stopped. Given the political fiasco the HOC has created, these self-serving, self-centred, career politicians (not a drop of altruism amongst them it would seem!) ought not have this perk. They can afford to pay full price. Most workers have to.

Sandwiches, tea and biscuits made available for late night sittings - and that's their lot!

Very few people, if any, have a workplace canteen so cheap

Daddima Fri 29-Mar-19 14:03:40

Free school meals in Scotland for P.1 to P.3.

Jalima1108 Fri 29-Mar-19 14:08:49

Ive been to one of those cafes in HOP. Was mostly visitors/public using it not MPs. You can tour the HOP there are a LOT of people in there not just MPs

Ooh, I've had an idea notanan - could we have an enormous Gransnet meetup in one of their eateries? We could all take grandchildren, great-grandchildren and take over the place!
There's a nursery as well, isn't there - is that subsidised? We could put the little ones in the nursery along with the MPs and put any children aged 8 or over plus their grannies in charge of the country.

BusterTank Fri 29-Mar-19 14:10:39

No money for schools or NHS but money for there grub . I hope they choke on it . I bet there waste go in the bin and not to charity , for those who cannot afford to eat . Greedy gits i hope there a shamed of them self's .

maddyone Fri 29-Mar-19 14:43:53

I wholeheartedly agree with everyone on this thread who has said that this is a disgrace. I also agree with those who mooted the idea that MPs should have flats to stay in, a bit like hotel rooms, where they can stay overnight if needed. There would be little need then for MPs to buy two houses. Being an MP is a job, and it should be treated as such, and there should be no other perks than they would receive in any other similar job. As for being ‘over educated’ I beg to differ. Whilst many MPs have professional qualifications such as barrister, doctor , teacher, and so on, many do not! Many work their way up from being interns, which is an unpaid worker for political parties, or parliament. In actuality many have never had a ‘proper’ job, they are ‘professional’ politicians. Nice work if you can get it!

Grandma70s Fri 29-Mar-19 15:03:39

How can anyone be ‘overeducated?’ Undereducated, yes. Tbere’s plenty of that about.

4allweknow Fri 29-Mar-19 15:16:58

It's appalling how much subsidy seems to be applied to H of C meals. There are plenty organisations that do subsidise workers' meals but the standard would be not so high end and probably cost more for workers. Recently had occasion to eat in a hospital dining room subsidised for staff but not the public. It cost me over £6.00 for a small amount of steak pie, green beans and potatoes and an apple. The next day was more expensive as I included a cup of tea. Even patients aren't allowed subsidy. Perhaps the organisers at H of C could show other establishments how to produce quality meals at such low cost.

Nonnie Fri 29-Mar-19 15:26:10

Surely not everyone can just pop in and use these? Wouldn't you have to have a reason/permit to go in? Pretty sure security would be too tight to just let people go in and out at will.

CardiffJaguar Fri 29-Mar-19 15:57:39

Two things you might consider doing - go to see your MP and ask to be invited to the House by him for a meal, or stand yourselves to be MPs and then see what it is all about and whether it is worth it.

Jalima1108 Fri 29-Mar-19 16:51:19

Surely not everyone can just pop in and use these? Wouldn't you have to have a reason/permit to go in? Pretty sure security would be too tight to just let people go in and out at will.
Oh, what a pity Nonnie! There was me thinking that Gransnetters could take over the canteens in the H of C. We could then write reviews on here and TripAdviser about the food.

Lilyflower Fri 29-Mar-19 16:56:22

I'd worry about the calories. Eton mess must be 500/600 calories at least and that will be on top on a cooked dinner at perhaps another 1000 calories. Then the calorific value of the alcohol is on top on that. Phew! That could be a day's worth of calories in one lunch. I bet they do not go without dinner either.

No wonder they blow up like balloons when they become M.P.s.