Gransnet forums

AIBU

House of Commons Canteen

(83 Posts)
Gonegirl Wed 27-Mar-19 16:41:01

Photo filched from Twitter.

Why can they get that so cheap? It's 5 or 6 in pubs round here! Why are we subsidising their food?

Mycatisahacker Mon 01-Apr-19 18:53:32

And back to the spirit of the thread these MPs and their staff employ contractors to do the jobs they should be doing but won’t or are too incompetent to make changes sucessful. They spend far too much time in the canteens and bars! Honestly true

eazybee Mon 01-Apr-19 20:00:08

Sounds like someone is profiteering. Not sure who.

Magrithea Mon 01-Apr-19 21:34:10

There was a reason it was that price (something to do with a majority or some such in one of the many votes!). And all food outlets have to put allergens in their food labelling, not just HoC

Mycatisahacker Tue 02-Apr-19 08:55:33

easybee

Absolutely we are as that’s the market rate! Would you think it more sensible for dh to refuse work? How odd!

As a tax payer though I find it dreadful.

Can you not see both sides of situations? hmm

Jalima1108 Tue 02-Apr-19 10:26:45

Canteens are indeed marvellous but the contractors are usually far too busy doing the job government pays its workers to shirk and getting paid ridiculous amounts to sort out their messes.
I've worked in the civil service and I have worked in private firms and worked far harder in the civil service than anywhere else at all. It was extremely pressurised and I take exception to your remarks that civil servants are lazy, take time off at the drop of a hat etc.
There may have been the odd employee who would 'swing the lead' but they would make their colleagues very annoyed indeed and you do get that type of employee wherever you work.

Mapleleaf Tue 02-Apr-19 19:56:49

Seems to be a lot of experts on this thread, who know all the ins and outs of how all other people work. ?

Mycatisahacker Thu 04-Apr-19 09:28:45

jalima

Sorry I didn’t mean to personally criticise anyone but that was my dhs honest experience in DEFRA, HMRC and numerous councils. Obviously there are exceptions but generally speaking that was the case.