Gransnet forums

AIBU

Deal if TM Resigns?? How does this suddenly make it acceptable to MPs

(67 Posts)
Bridgeit Wed 27-Mar-19 18:42:39

Am I missing something? how can a deal only be acceptable if TM resigns ?
Or is it just bad wording , bribery etc etc.
EITHER a deal is suitable or it isn’t
Please help me understand ?

Nonnie Fri 29-Mar-19 16:33:07

Seems as if the only real change in the voting was from Conservatives. How did she get them to do that?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-parliaments-47696409

Daddima Fri 29-Mar-19 16:32:12

But what happened to no second vote for Scottish Independence or leaving the E.U. because we couldn’t keep voting till we got the result we wanted? Isn’t that what Treeza’s doing?

Nonnie Fri 29-Mar-19 15:34:07

This has appeared today in my Fb:

www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10218716731494661&set=a.1211245766531&type=3&eid=ARCejSZ8NW8PXsK2NCX5hOXsmqykz80WGq23PAfBkUSeuRuYAeZnEGGJA18a3QMN9Tule2JTnFr5y8c7

Nonnie Fri 29-Mar-19 15:30:53

Urmston imo the EU were always in the driving seat. The cards were stacked against us from the beginning. I know a lot of people are saying they have been unkind to us (or stronger words) but I think they have only been doing what any negotiator does and that is looking after their own interests. If we were part of the 27 and, say, Italy wanted to leave I think we would do the same.

mcem Fri 29-Mar-19 15:10:05

I trust Tusk and co to provide a better future for my family within Europe than I do the conniving Tory government.
1st choice now - 2nd referendum
2nd choice - General Election
Ideal outcome - scrap the whole idea!

Urmstongran Fri 29-Mar-19 14:56:20

Well the motion voted voted down. To be honest I don’t even think I care.
What we get now with indicative votes will be a mish mash.

It was supposed to be Brexit. Leave.

I’m for Revoke A50 now I think as the deal we will get from the EU will be less than what we have.

Such a shame. The EU are in the driving seat now.

I feel deflated.
RIP Brexit.

Anja Fri 29-Mar-19 14:40:05

Nonnie I think this has highlighted how poor our parliamentary procedures are for dealing with situations like this. Many MPs cannot do anything to halt the juggernaut that is the PM and some of her cabinet. Likewise the opposition has their hands tied in situations like this.

Alongside this unwieldy and unwritten constitution there is such a division of opinion on this issue; stay in, crash out, stay in with this deal or that deal, in the customs union, have a second vote, rescind article 50....and so on.

There is no consensus.

Smileless2012 Fri 29-Mar-19 14:24:49

I think it shows that our MP's are more interested in entertaining their personal dislike of TM than they are in doing what's best for the country.

I also "wish they would all vote or what their conscience says and for no other reason" Nonnie but doubt many actually have a conscience.

I do feel very strongly that no one should be able to abstain as some have done this week.

Nonnie Fri 29-Mar-19 10:40:12

I feel the same Urmston. It just feels like a ruse to con the MPs into voting for something they have twice voted on already. What I find difficult is that they don't seem to realise they are being manipulated or, if they do, I don't understand why they go along with it. I just wish they would all vote for what their conscience says and for no other reason.

Urmstongran Fri 29-Mar-19 10:18:46

I am so mixed up about this motion being voted on this afternoon. Different views from experts. I don’t think it’ll get voted for because the DUP aren’t behind it.

In that case I’d like ‘crash out with no deal’.
?
Sorry. But I would.

But even though that’s the legal default now for 12 April, we will cravenly ask for the 2 year extension. This endless bluddy loop continues! Aargh!

Nonnie Fri 29-Mar-19 10:07:30

Anja yes it is but if it goes through it ties the hands of the negotiators and the EU can, and will, use the backstop to get what it wants. That is not a criticism of the EU, negotiators should negotiate the best deal for them.

I think that whoever is PM will use the same civil servants to do all negotiations as have been used up to now. I doubt anyone believes that the PM is more than a figurehead in the negotiations.

Gonegirl Fri 29-Mar-19 09:53:53

Well, they're not going to find "a steadier hand".

They are all very cross because she hasn't allowed every single move she made in Brussels to be thrashed out in the House of Commons. Just imagine how long it would have taken if she had.

Anja Fri 29-Mar-19 08:36:26

The ‘deal’ is only the beginning of negotiations with the EU. The feeling is that May is so incompetent and doesn’t have the negotiating or people skills to get the best in the follow up.

Therefore they need a new, steadier hand at the helm, so all the wannabe PMs get a chance.

mcem Fri 29-Mar-19 07:57:07

Absolutely right momof3. But it's much more convenient for the Tories to blame the L.P. than to recognise the worldwide financial crisis!

MamaCaz Fri 29-Mar-19 07:27:44

Well said, Momof3

crystaltipps Fri 29-Mar-19 06:08:23

Boris is a complete charlatan saying we will be “skewered” by TM s deal, then 24 hours later saying he was backing it all the way. JRM ditto. TM should just come out and say the Brexit voted for 3 years ago is undeliverable, this is what you can have, take it or leave it and put it to the people in a 2 nd referendum. ( she won’t tho)

Labaik Fri 29-Mar-19 00:11:26

Brexit was all about Boris Johnson fulfilling his ambition to be PM (IMO)

Urmstongran Thu 28-Mar-19 23:52:20

Ah, right. I understand sodapop.
Thank you for posting.
People, places though eh?
In Malaga, where we have a little place, our Spanish friends were actually envious of our Brexit vote in 2016. Not sure now, 3y later with all the in fighting ha!
I an honestly say we have never encountered any negativity.
Well, not yet ...
?

Momof3 Thu 28-Mar-19 23:01:26

Oh stop the last recession was the result of a global crash because we live in a global economy. Which is what lots of people could do with remembering.

sodapop Thu 28-Mar-19 17:39:46

Urmston I meant in so far as we have been getting more pointed comments from neighbours etc and generally from the French community.

chattykathy Thu 28-Mar-19 15:30:39

Grannysue05 I meant for the next stage of the negotiations.

Grandad1943 Thu 28-Mar-19 13:37:51

In supporting Mays deal in exchange for her resignation as Prime Minister, those MPs are acting in a total self-serving manner.

In that, they realise that they could go for her job themselves, or support someone else for the job in the knowledge that should that person get to be Prime Minister; they will get a nice senior ministerial position themselves.

what else would anyone expect in the Conservative party these days?

Mind you; there are those doing similar in the Labour party also. hmm

Zsarina Thu 28-Mar-19 13:12:53

PS....Who shall we have after they have forced T.M.out
JEREMY CORBYN.....God help us I would laugh if it wasn’t so funny....please remember that this country could never hope to recover from the debt that labour left us in and every MP since has tried and until the country is fixed then the people will never be able to prosper

Beammeupscottie Thu 28-Mar-19 13:08:04

They will vote tomorrow for her WA.. If defeated let loose the dogs of war. What a mess. Just forget the whole business of Brexit and let us enjoy our Summer (some effing hope of that).

MamaCaz Thu 28-Mar-19 13:07:19

All I can say is that unless her motive is bribery, TM must really dislike her own deal, if she feels the need to resign if it does get through!