Gransnet forums

AIBU

The Sussexes & Hypocrisy

(318 Posts)
Sparklefizz Fri 05-Apr-19 10:04:41

Prince Harry said earlier in the week that social media is as addictive for kids as drugs and alcohol. They can be bullied and become anxious and depressed.

Instagram seems to be the worst apparently, although he didn't mention that by name.

However, AIBU to expect Harry and Meghan with all their virtue-signalling, to be less hypocritical? The Sussexes have just set up an Instagram account and already have over 3 million followers apparently !!! Is this not blatant hypocrisy?

Before this, Harry's topic was a climate change lecture to young people while he and Meghan zipped about in private jets for her baby shower and his trip back for Valentine's Day.

I have always been very fond of Harry but since he has become New Agey and got on various soapboxes, they both have had a marvellous chance to practise what they preach..... but are not doing it.

I'm disappointed in him.

Maggiemaybe Fri 05-Apr-19 11:36:25

I think of him as comparable to Prince Andrew.
I think that’s part of the problem, Razzy. Princess Margaret was another that alienated people with her lifestyle.

I wonder if it’s the fact that they were born second in line that’s made them that way, or would they have been the same as monarch/heir?

luckyme2b Fri 05-Apr-19 11:37:56

O come on!!! What other countries wouldn’t give to have our Royal family!! Give them a break!!

merlotgran Fri 05-Apr-19 11:43:20

That's the answer, luckyme!!

Where shall we send Harry and Meghan?

merlotgran Fri 05-Apr-19 11:43:45

Keep William and Kate though.

SaraC Fri 05-Apr-19 11:45:17

Oh dear - I wonder what this ‘Harry and Meghan’ bashing session is about? Leave them alone ladies - I’m surprised by your unkindness. Perhaps remember they’re not long married, have their first baby on the way, are moving into their first home together and trying to develop a shared system of values and fulfill the huge expectations of them in their Royal roles and duties. They are bound to make the odd ‘slip up’ as they settle down. Kate and William, by contrast, were a lot younger when they met, had a lot more time together without such intense scrutiny, lived a ‘services’ life as a couple and had their children once they were well established as couple. I, personally, wouldn’t want the life of, or demands on, a ‘Royal’ for all the tea in China! Enough already....

Joelsnan Fri 05-Apr-19 11:49:23

So many being sucked into the media circus of Royalty/Celebrity bashing. I cant belive that people get paid to publish this malicious crap and people suck it up.

Charleygirl5 Fri 05-Apr-19 11:50:45

Once he grows up I cannot see the marriage lasting. Apart from lurv, what do they have in common?

Hm999 Fri 05-Apr-19 11:54:46

Yesterday I watched TV telling me how Meghan wasn't allowed to do whatever, and this was picked up by Daily Mail. Today DM has reprinted almost exactly the same article, including mistaking Princess Anne for Princess Margaret, but now denying that yesterday's story is true!!
Bottom line is most of these Royal stories are tosh, just made up. So presumably these stories about money are equally wrong e.g. all the money spent on her wardrobe, she doesn't pay that, designers must be queuing up for her to wear their stuff.
As for their income, both are extremely rich in their own right, and the Duchy of Cornwall gives Harry an income. He gets nothing from govt.
So why all this negativity?

Elderlyfirsttimegran Fri 05-Apr-19 11:56:10

Agree with all of the above.

NotSpaghetti Fri 05-Apr-19 11:56:19

Princess Margaret was another that alienated people with her lifestyle

Not everyone was alienated - my father loved her for her style and devil-may-care attitude. He used to say she was a breath of fresh air in the family. But I suppose he did love a bit of glamour!

NotSpaghetti Fri 05-Apr-19 11:59:49

Regarding clothes Hm999, I think, like other royals, the clothes she wears when representing the country or in an official capacity are paid for as part of the "job" but the ones she wears informally are hers and bought with her own money.

Shazmo24 Fri 05-Apr-19 12:20:25

The word hypocrite came to my mind too...I wonder if it was Meghan who wants to ensure her celebrity status doesn't fade & Harry wanting to please her has just gone ahead...Double standards in my mind and she has made him look like a idiot in the process

DanniRae Fri 05-Apr-19 12:20:27

Sorry but I think we should leave them alone......why do people feel the need to have a go at the Royals at every opportunity?

Anniebach Fri 05-Apr-19 12:25:30

The Duchy of Cornwall does not give him money, his father does.

I do know she is known in inner circles as Me gain

It was said about the queen and Margaret when they were young, ‘ thank God Elizabeth was born first ‘, seems the same can be said 75 years on about William and Harry.

pinkquartz Fri 05-Apr-19 12:28:23

We all have restrictions on our lives since birth. Usually that is by money. As a child in the 50's we had very few treats or even days out. Even now many families are poverty stricken. So no violin playing here.
Also people have health restrictions. I don't believe the RF are restricted much by protocol and if it was s obad they could always leave. I seem to remember both The Queen Mother and Princess Margaret enjoyed their lives tremendously.
They know they are lucky.

Kim19 Fri 05-Apr-19 12:30:46

Suspect the media may be playing games with us again. They only feed us with info they want us to hear and often their timing is 'interesting'

sarahellenwhitney Fri 05-Apr-19 12:34:17

Forgoodnesssake
More like 'Show it to them son'?

GabriellaG54 Fri 05-Apr-19 12:39:43

Can you imagine returning to your 'des res' after a multi-million remodelling, everything cleaned and primped to perfection with household staff already in place, no doubt flowers and food already bought and arranged then leaving the next day to spend 3 days in an hotel?
No...I can't either.
I'd want to be fussing with the nursery, arranging the baby-shower gifts and exploring the work done on the house.
Some people....hmm

JenniferEccles Fri 05-Apr-19 12:46:47

I had my doubts about Meghan right from the start, and unfortunately she has done nothing since to make me change my mind about her.

The trouble is Harry is so obviously totally besotted with her that if there are any negative comments about her from his family, he is furious. He was famously quoted as saying 'what Meghan wants Meghan gets'.

The fact that so many of her staff have resigned after what was a short time working for her, says it all doesn't it?

luluaugust Fri 05-Apr-19 12:47:36

I'm surprised they didn't go off to one of the other royal homes, why go to a hotel.

Sparklefizz Fri 05-Apr-19 12:48:48

My post wasn't talking about money but about practising what they preach.

Anniebach Fri 05-Apr-19 12:52:21

They have Frogmore and rent a country Manor House, why the need for a hotel,

Lily65 Fri 05-Apr-19 12:55:33

ab, do you you have a mole on the inside?

anitamp1 Fri 05-Apr-19 12:57:17

I'm a little more supportive of them. I think he can criticise social media, yet be entitled to use it himself. In the same way that I can criticise the way alcohol is promoted/ advertised to encourage youngsters to partake, whilst still enjoying a glass of wine or two myself.

colette13 Fri 05-Apr-19 12:58:32

I love reading about the royals but Harry does not come across as 'royal' anymore - more 'Hollywood' if anything.Meghan now has privilege and everything that goes with it - but that is only as a consequence of being Harry's wife. Princess Diana came from an aristocratic family - going back over 500 years - whether she would have got on with Meghan or not - who knows? As a second son - in time - Harry (and Meghan) will (hopefully) create less such publicity - I personally prefer Kate - but that's just because she seems so more normal/unaffected than 'Meghan' - and I'm not naive - nothing is 'really normal' about the privileged lives they all lead - I mean does it really matter who you are/how much you're worth? Spending £30,000 on a 3-night break is obscene in anyone's world - surely? There is poverty,hunger and need in Britain,and in various other parts of the world - I really do not understand how Harry can justify the cost of their break - the Queen and close family are a great institution,Harry needs to stop bringing attention to himself,and get on with his work,charity or otherwise,quietly and with some dignity.