Gransnet forums

AIBU

Finding the first chapter of a new book at the end of the one I'm reading!

(30 Posts)
trisher Mon 08-Apr-19 10:00:37

I'm fed up of thinking I have a nice long, satisfactory ending to look forward to because there are quite a few pages left in the book I'm reading, only to find the story wound up in a few pages, and the last pages are the first chapter of a new book. I don't read them. I'm still fuming about being short changed by the book I have just finished. Why do they do it? It actually puts me off the author and the books. I don't want to read one chapter and then have to go looking for the book and I want the book I was reading to have the nice long ending I expected.

ladytina42 Sat 20-Apr-19 10:18:11

Oh I have to say I love it. Gives me a flavour of the next in the series and an idea as to wether I will enjoy it or not before I decide to purchase it.

NanKate Sat 20-Apr-19 11:05:18

My son is a children’s author and he is told/asked by his publisher to write the first chapter of the next book to entice the children back.

trisher Sat 20-Apr-19 11:32:50

Might work for children I suppose but some on this thread think they have already read the book when they get the first chapter, so in the case of grans it might be counter-productive.

GrandmaJan Sat 20-Apr-19 11:38:23

It seems to be happening more and more on Kindle