Gransnet forums

AIBU

Photograph of dying Gran

(180 Posts)
Willow10 Sat 13-Apr-19 08:20:40

Poor dying gran didn't have a say in it obviously. I just don't understand this obsession with sharing even your most private moments with the whole world.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 13-Apr-19 08:09:54

It does seem odd to me that the modern thing seems to share moments of extreme (for me) privacy. People seem to feel the need to wear their hearts on their sleeve and show all outward signs of emotion. My absolute instinct is quite the opposite. I am I suppose a private person by nature, and I would never share such momentous occasions with anyone other than my closest family members.

But I guess what makes us all so colourful and fascinating is our approach to life’s journey.
I think that as long as we are not intently harming anyone we can be tolerant of those who think differently to ourselves.

Auntieflo Sat 13-Apr-19 08:06:03

Nothing's sacred these days unfortunately Jane10
It's a pity that some folk want to share every minute of their lives.

SueH49 Sat 13-Apr-19 08:04:47

I guess everyone has their own ideas of what respect/love is and obviously for you it is not the same as it is for the person who posted.
While I don't think I would post something like that I don't see anything wrong with doing so if someone wants to. Each to their own.

Jane10 Sat 13-Apr-19 07:57:50

I was horrified yesterday to find a photo of a poor old soul curled up on a bed apparently asleep. The text told me that it was the poster's gran who was in her last hours. Lots of responses offering support etc to the person who'd posted it. I replied suggesting that it was not very respectful to post this very private moment on a social media site. The poster replied with a lot of guff saying it was because she loved her etc etc.
Privacy, dignity, respect ? Was I overreacting?