Gransnet forums

AIBU

Dogs in cafes

(227 Posts)
Silverlining47 Sun 14-Apr-19 11:00:41

I am having a Sunday morning coffee in a very pleasant cafe....people quietly reading the Sunday papers. A lady comes in with two small dogs which yap loudly and screeching. The waitress looks despairingly and approaches the owner but clearly there seems to be no official line about dogs in cafes and the yapping continues to destroy the peaceful morning. Nearby is another smart and trendy cafe with closely spaced tables. I went there last week for lunch. Soon a huge dog is sitting next to me, its nose almost resting on my table. The owner is either amused or unaware.
AIBU to find this unacceptable.

jura2 Sun 14-Apr-19 15:35:51

we adopted Emma followig difficult circumstances - she is nearly 14 now and she is as god as gold. But we can't put her in kennels as she cries and howls all night and won't eat.

She will happily stay on her own in the car for up to 2 hours - but we prefer if she comes in with us. She won't make a noise, won't bother anyone.

And we have had to change our life because of her- no more plane travelling, we go everywhere in the car- back to UK, t France and Italy- and she stays with us in Hôtels B&Bs and gîtes. As Labaik says, there is good money to be made there for places that welcome dogs. In Hôtels we pay £10 a night on average, for her.

I am in discussions now with a local Tour Operator- to organise a road trip by luxury coach, for owners with small and well-behaved dogs- as we have many older friends who would love to go on hols but can't because of their dog. Also a company that does direct flights from here to Croatia and Corsica.

As she does at times jump on the bed- we always take with us a massive super KS flat sheet to protect the bed, just in case and out of respect for others- or she is in her bed on the floor.

vintanner Sun 14-Apr-19 15:37:56

We have a dog who is very well behaved but it is difficult, when out and about to get something to eat, especially as I don't like pubs but if necessary I will eat in one if they allow dogs in.

The law states that dogs, understandably, are not allowed in areas, where food is 'prepared' but it is the manager's decision to allow dogs into their establishment.

The manager also has the responsibility to ensure that all their customers are happy if there is any unacceptable behavior, be it dogs barking, children crying or people shouting, they should be asked to leave.

If you are so against dogs in pubs, cafes, restaurants or even shops, just don't go in, choose somewhere else.

If I have my dog with me and we aren't welcome, I seldom return, they have lost my custom and I go elsewhere.

The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.
Mark Twain.

Plus, you know what DOG spells backward.

vintanner Sun 14-Apr-19 15:48:43

I also agree that hands should be washed if they have patted or fed a dog but I find it much more common where they take payment and then serve your food without washing their hands.

If you take the time to watch the servers you will realise this happens a LOT.

Sara65 Sun 14-Apr-19 15:54:39

Sorry to all you dog lovers out there, but I don’t think cafes or hotel rooms are the places for dogs, if you choose to have a dog, that’s fine, but accept that there are places, you simply can’t take it

Littleannie Sun 14-Apr-19 16:02:32

We have just returned from lunch at a dog friendly pub. The woman at the next table let her dog climb from her knee onto the table. Another pub crossed off our list.

Anja Sun 14-Apr-19 16:26:19

If the cafe or restaurant or pub allows dogs then I will certain take mine in. They will sit under the table and go to sleep. They will not scrounge food.

If you don’t want a dog near you when you are eating then go elsewhere. There are far more places where dogs are NOT allowed so you will have plenty of choice.

Anja Sun 14-Apr-19 16:29:29

I personally have never seen any of this behaviour that some people mention, I accept some irresponsible owners might be found occasionally, just as irresponsible parents let children run around in cafes, restaurants, etc.

I personally avoid ‘child friendly’ places unless I’m with my grandchildren then I have to tolerate other people’s badly behaved offspring.

Telly Sun 14-Apr-19 16:32:31

My dog is very well travelled and has stayed in some 5 star hotels and we always take her with us when we are out. She stays put under a table and most people don't even know that she is there. She is often a lot better behaved than some children! I don't expect her to be a nuisance or to impact on anyone else. I imagine that business owners know that business is boosted when they make some accommodation for dogs.

Anja Sun 14-Apr-19 16:34:58

Exactly Telly

It is just like children....you only really notice the badly behaved ones.

sylvia1231 Sun 14-Apr-19 16:38:53

Our village café has a 'dogs friendly' sign and the dogs sit quietly under the tables. They get a treat as they leave. They know. You read the sign and have two options - to go in or not. There's no other place in the village.

ginny Sun 14-Apr-19 16:47:24

You might also want to check if there are men with beards in the pub/ cafe/ restaurant. I have read today that a full beard often has more ‘bugs’ in it than a dogs coat.

BlueBelle Sun 14-Apr-19 16:47:25

I hate really do hate dogs in eating places and will never go to one after my one and only venture in one and watched a bulldog type sitting on the chair eating off the plate and another on the floor being given the owners tea in a saucer Yuk yuk yuk
It’s absolutely nothing to do with bad behaviour it’s about smell, hairs, drooling, and I like dogs but outside not in a cafe or restaurant

We have just had word from head office that we have to let dogs in our charity shop and none of us like this at all and we are waiting for the first one to cock it’s leg
We have a very nice but small vegan bistro open up a few months back, the food is delicious, then about a month ago they wrote on Fb that they were going to let well behaved dogs in I wrote well that’s a shame as you ve now lost my custom They must have had a lot of similar comments and the following week the status came up that owing to many negative messages they had changed their minds
Animals should be left at home and taken to places they can be themselves and that’s not shops or cafes

DINNNO Sun 14-Apr-19 16:50:32

I personally think that dogs don't belong in kitchens, cafes, restaurants, or dining rooms, for hygiene reasons of course.

Usually, dogs are allowed in places like these though because the place might have a guide dog acceptance. I still don't think it's acceptable for places where people eat to have these guide dog allowances.

Usually people tend to lie about owning a guide dog, it being just a regular dog, and you can tell if the dog is misbehaving.

Last year I went to a lovely restraunt abroad that made all smokers and dog owners dine using the outside tables, so no dogs were allowed inside the building

BlueBelle Sun 14-Apr-19 16:52:29

Ginny I ve yet to see a man with a beard shake himself with hairs a flying, neither have I seen him drooling with saliva hanging round his chops, none I ve known have had fleas or scratched left right and centre
Think I can manage eating with a bearded human

Sara65 Sun 14-Apr-19 16:58:10

I agree BlueBelle, my husband has a beard, but so far has refrained from drooling and scratching, and I’m pretty sure he doesn’t have fleas

Sparklefizz Sun 14-Apr-19 17:01:38

I always avoid holiday places that state that dogs are welcome, but we stayed once in a cottage in Cornwall which had made no mention of dogs but which absolutely reeked of "wet dog" and was vile.

I mentioned it in the comments book.

bikergran Sun 14-Apr-19 17:10:59

Friend and I went to little cafe in Lytham St Annes last year.

WE had sat down and ordered and paid before we realised it was a dog friendly cafe and they started barking (hadn't noticed them when we went in) 2 little yappers under the table! Staff didn't seem to bother.

Bottom line is we wont be going in again and in future will check to make sure it's not a dog friendly cafe.

I would have walked out but I had already paid for my food.

jura2 Sun 14-Apr-19 17:15:31

Sara65- I'm afraid I disagree- so you pick the dogs not allowed places, and I'll give my custom to the dogs friendly ones - and we will never meet. Hurrah ;)

But - I'll agree totally, that dog owners have to respect that not everyone loves dogs- and that a dog in a restaurant has to behave. We keep ours on a short lead- and will only let her go closer to those people who take an interest and normally ask 'can we say hello, or pet her'- and would never allow her on a seat, let alone on the table. We often keep titbits for her from our plate- which we put in napkin and I will then take her out of the pub/restaurant and give them to her outside- never inside.

Bad dog owners sadly give us all a bad name, just like parents and grandparents of kids allowed to run riot in such places.

KatyK Sun 14-Apr-19 17:23:17

It's all very well saying don't go in but at biker says, sometimes you don't realise and you are already eating and a troublesome dog arrives. Yes badly behaved children are a nuisance too.

jura2 Sun 14-Apr-19 17:26:11

If you feel strongly about it- then ask when you get there.

BTW we always go and sit in a corner, out of the way, just in case. Emma is so cute and beautiful and totally safe with children, difficult needs, the elderly, etc. Never ever had a complaint.

mumofmadboys Sun 14-Apr-19 17:33:52

We live in the Lakes. Lots of dog friendly eateries here.

Sara65 Sun 14-Apr-19 17:34:41

Jura2- I agree with you totally, I hope we never meet!

sodapop Sun 14-Apr-19 17:35:09

Sorry Jura2 I disagree, restaurants etc are not places for dogs however well behaved. I love all my dogs but I also like to relax and enjoy my meal knowing they are safe at home. If all dog owners took their dogs it would be chaotic. I wouldn't like to think I put others off eating somewhere because they don't like or are scared of dogs.
I also don't like to see dogs being taken to busy areas with lots of traffic or crowded outdoor venues where they are just in the way. We take our dogs out for a walk in a quiet area at least twice a day usually three times, the rest of the time they settle happily at home.

jura2 Sun 14-Apr-19 17:36:23

Many Hôtels which are dog friendly will have some rooms which a dedicated dog-friendly and others which are not. Fair enough.

jura2 Sun 14-Apr-19 17:39:20

Sara65, lol, I wondered how long it would take you ;)

Sodapop- we adopted an older dog in difficult circumstances- and we have had to adapt our lives in many man ways. But I am damned if I'll accept that from now on, I have to stay at home for the next few years.

Some place are dog friendly- so if you disagree, don't go there.