Gransnet forums

AIBU

Dogs in cafes

(227 Posts)
Silverlining47 Sun 14-Apr-19 11:00:41

I am having a Sunday morning coffee in a very pleasant cafe....people quietly reading the Sunday papers. A lady comes in with two small dogs which yap loudly and screeching. The waitress looks despairingly and approaches the owner but clearly there seems to be no official line about dogs in cafes and the yapping continues to destroy the peaceful morning. Nearby is another smart and trendy cafe with closely spaced tables. I went there last week for lunch. Soon a huge dog is sitting next to me, its nose almost resting on my table. The owner is either amused or unaware.
AIBU to find this unacceptable.

KatyK Sun 14-Apr-19 17:44:35

I think it's almost a criminal offence to say you don't like dogs. I said it to someone once and she said 'oh and I always thought you were such a nice person' confused

grannyrebel99 Sun 14-Apr-19 17:46:40

I love dogs and they can do what they like as far as I'm concerned. I think it's great that they are now accepted in most cafes and restaurants. This has been commonplace in other European countries for years. However I think they should be kept under control and not a danger to anyone.

sodapop Sun 14-Apr-19 17:59:04

If dogs did as they liked it would truly be chaotic Grannyrebel Dogs need to know their place and are happier with boundaries.

sodapop Sun 14-Apr-19 18:03:14

Jura2 we choose to have our pets, others did not. I'm sure your rescue dog has a happy life with you. I think we must agree to disagree about the way our dogs live.

jura2 Sun 14-Apr-19 18:12:03

... and that is fine. Can't see why, however, there shouldn't be places that do accept dogs and others that don't - and we pick accordingly.

KatyK Sun 14-Apr-19 18:14:06

It's also very annoying when some owners assume that everyone likes dogs. Like the one who jumped up beside me while I was eating in a pub, a bulldog or something. The owner said 'oh he likes you' like I should be pleased. I wasn't.

Sara65 Sun 14-Apr-19 18:22:46

KatyK
I agree! People can have as many Dogs as they like, but please do not assume that we all find them cute and cuddly x

Silverlining47 Sun 14-Apr-19 19:19:26

The two cafes that I mentioned in my post are both in central London and are the nicest ones in the area (ambiance and food). Neither have notices about dogs either being allowed in or banned. Should I have to find another less nice cafe to go to? Maybe dogs would be allowed there too without me knowing before I went in.
In my opinion dogs should not be seen in cafes or restaurants unless they are guide dogs.
I understand dogs are not allowed in food shops or supermarkets so surely they should not be allowed in eating places.

Anja Sun 14-Apr-19 19:41:36

Simple solution. Ask the proprietor if dogs are allowed when you ring up to book or when you go in an eating place. If he or she says ‘yes’ then find somewhere else to eat.

What’s the problem?

chaffinch Sun 14-Apr-19 19:44:14

If I see a cafe or guest house saying “dog friendly” or “dogs welcome” I avoid it like the plague. On a different note, I hate to see people allowing their dog to lick their(owner’s) face or mouth. Ugh!

Anja Sun 14-Apr-19 19:47:03

That’s the ticket chaffinch ??

mumofmadboys Sun 14-Apr-19 19:56:32

I would prefer a dog or two in a cafe than humans who talk loudly any day!

Riverwalk Sun 14-Apr-19 19:58:24

Usually, dogs are allowed in places like these though because the place might have a guide dog acceptance. I still don't think it's acceptable for places where people eat to have these guide dog allowances.

Dinnno nothing to do with 'acceptance' or 'allowances' of Guide Dogs, it's the law.

Usually people tend to lie about owning a guide dog, it being just a regular dog, and you can tell if the dog is misbehaving.

I've never seen such a thing - never mind usually !

Anja Sun 14-Apr-19 20:00:29

Ah Dinnno ??

janipat Sun 14-Apr-19 20:05:17

It's law that assistance dogs are permitted anywhere that the public can go. These dogs will know they are "working" and will usually be impeccably behaved. They will not engage with others around them, and my cousin's guide dog was never to be petted by strangers while she was working. Few family pets are trained to the same high degree, and that's where problems start. Maybe it should be a requirement for all establishments to display a clear sign as to whether or not they accept dogs ( other than assistance dogs) My son is severely allergic to cats and dogs (amongst other animals) and can suffer a frightening asthma attack after the briefest contact. The animal doesn't even have to be present, some symptoms will appear, swollen eyes, laboured breathing, in a place where one has been and shed hair or dander. He of course understands the needs of an assistance dog and owner take priority over him.

Iam64 Sun 14-Apr-19 20:23:21

So many grumpy grannie threads on this forum today. I'm away in the Lake District where dogs are generally welcome in cafe's and pubs.
I don't expect people to love or even like my dogs, who are trained to sit by me, or lie under the table if in 'dog friendly' pubs or cafe's. I've never been into a cafe or pub that didn't have the 'well behaved dogs welcome' sign on the door. If there isn't a sign, I assume the place doesn't take dogs. For those of you that loathe dogs, the vast majority of places don't welcome dogs so what's the problem?

Whitewavemark2 Sun 14-Apr-19 20:39:21

iam64 ??.

It is horses for courses isn’t it? We generally go out for a long walk at least once a week and have lunch in a pub or decent cafe/restaurant. They all take dogs. Ours sits under the table, and people are generally unaware that he is there snoozing after his walk.

jura2 Sun 14-Apr-19 20:40:41

Simples indeed.

nanny2507 Sun 14-Apr-19 21:19:59

I have no issues with dogs in cafes. I have 3 i wouldn't take them in a cafe as they are too "naughty" the worst they would do is go under tables looking for crumbs but people might not like it and rightly so, Now...i feel the same about children..fine have them in cafes and restaurants but i would like an area where i could sit that is child free but that is frowned upon...

Hm999 Sun 14-Apr-19 21:29:34

Well this has been an illuminating thread.
Many people holiday in UK because of their dogs, so there are proportionally more doggy people about in relaxed environments than elsewhere.
I notice the money-to-food hands more than animal-touching hands in eateries.
I notice people talking very loudly to each other or to mobiles more than yapping/scrounging dogs in eateries.

Goodbyetoallthat Sun 14-Apr-19 21:56:24

We live in an area where a lot of people (with & without dogs) come on holiday. A few cafes/ pubs (no restaurants as far as I am aware) allow dogs & all make this quite clear. We tend not to take our large puppy with us, as could not vouch for her behaviour at this stage, but why choose a dog friendly place if you don't want dogs around & there are plenty of other non dog friendly alternatives?

sodapop Sun 14-Apr-19 22:01:21

Me too Nanny2507 I would prefer my dogs to some children I have encountered in restaurants.

hicaz46 Sun 14-Apr-19 22:33:11

All dog owners say their dogs are cute and well behaved. Nobody on here is going to admit to a badly behaved dog. Restaurants are not the place to take a dog however well behaved. Animals who lick their own genital area and then may lick a plate or someone’s hand should not be allowed near food.

Anja Sun 14-Apr-19 22:43:13

So go to a dog-free cafe.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 14-Apr-19 22:49:16

There was one time when people did notice our canine friend. We were eating lunch in a pub with a lovely log fire.
Duncan the dog spent the time stretched out in front of the fire warming his tummy and frequently snoring. I saw nothing but smiles.