Gransnet forums

AIBU

To be stressed by climate change

(222 Posts)
Alexa Fri 19-Apr-19 08:50:35

AIBU? All I have to do be un-stressed is put my fingers in my ears.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 19-Apr-19 09:03:00

No I am not stressed about Climate Change, I do what I can to help the planet, recycle, solar panels, water harvesting system, eco friendly engined car. Buy as many local food products as possible to save on food air miles.

If we all do our bit hopefully it can make a difference.

It's India, China and USA that cause the most damage with their CO2 emissions and I cannot see them changing in the near future?

Eglantine21 Fri 19-Apr-19 09:16:14

There are just too many people.

The only real answer is for humans to stop breeding so prolifically.

Anyone prepared to commit to that on a personal level?

BradfordLass72 Fri 19-Apr-19 09:19:06

If history is to be believed (and I'm just reading about a mini Ice Age in the 1600's) then this is, to a certain extent, a natural, recurring cycle and there is little we can do to stop it.

Like GrannyGravy, I do all I can to help save water, use cloth bags for shopping, recycle and more but I often feel that when a giant like the USA won't even join the rest of the world in trying to cut industrial emissions, and other damaging practices, what use am I?

But it won't stop me trying.

I certainly don't worry about it because our world has been through climate change before and long after we are gone will probably be turning.
And if it doesn't, then my efforts to save it weren't wasted because I did my bit.

Urmstongran Fri 19-Apr-19 09:22:14

You’re right Eglantine good comment. Most of us won’t though so on we go. Depressing but true I fear.

We can only make a minute difference as individuals. They do add up (a bit) but not a great deal really.

So what I can’t do anything about I don’t worry about as it achieves nothing.

Nannyxthree Fri 19-Apr-19 09:27:15

I agree. I will continue to do my bit too, but if USA, China and India don't want to know then my 'bit' is the smallest drop in the ocean.
I can't agree with the demonstrations going on though. There are people who still need to get to work and people who have paid good money to visit London this Easter and they are having that time spoilt. There must be other ways to make a point without causing so much trouble.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 19-Apr-19 09:33:22

I have already posted this but it has disappeared. So apologise if appears twice.

I get terribly distressed by climate change which is why I watch none if the programmes.

Homo Saipan is a pariah species, which exploits all other species on the earth. It is slowly destroying the earths atmosphere and eco systems.

If homo sapien became extinct the earth would sigh with relief.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 19-Apr-19 09:34:45

sapien iPad cant cope?

Alexa Fri 19-Apr-19 10:14:29

Whitewavemark, your "terribly distressed" is sign of sanity, whereas not actually distressed or downright denying is sign of insanity.

I agree about our species. We are like bacteria which having eaten up their hosts cease being an epidemic. Our species is at the crisis point when we are about to cease being a species of any importance.

henetha Fri 19-Apr-19 10:14:43

I agree with Grannygravy. We can only do our bit and
it's no good us getting stressed about it. Until other countries become committed to change there is little we can do.
And our planet has been through many changes anyway.
I hope and believe that it will survive. ~But we still need to clean it up where we can, and persuade other countries to help.

janeainsworth Fri 19-Apr-19 10:26:40

The only real answer is for humans to stop breeding so prolifically. Anyone prepared to commit to that on a personal level?

Eglantine It’s a bit late for most of us on Gransnet, I would have thoughthmm

In any case, in most developed countries the birth rate has fallen to below replacement levels, which is why we need immigration, so that there will be enough people of working age in the population.

optimist Fri 19-Apr-19 10:28:30

I am not stressed by climate change but I do love to see the young demonstrating on issues they believe in and they feel affect their future. I applaud their energy and passion.

Camelotclub Fri 19-Apr-19 10:36:21

Third world countries without access to decent birth control so over-breeding doesn't help matters. Nor does air travel - planes are huge polluters.

I am an imposter on Gransnet as I've not had kids, hence no grandkids. I joined to read the interesting discussions. And we don't fly (I hate it) so like to think we're doing our bit for the world!

Shall I now be drummed out of the club?

Eglantine21 Fri 19-Apr-19 10:36:22

Too late for me Jane! Though even back in the seventies I made the conscious decision to limit my family because I could see what was coming.

In the wider family context though, not many people would give up having grandchildren. (I know it’s not their choice)

Suppose the governments of the world got together and said, like China did, one child only. Would people support it?

Razzy Fri 19-Apr-19 10:41:38

I don’t think it is unreasonable at all- you can put your fingers in your ears but you still know what’s happening. People and society do get influenced and I think all changes start small. I recycle, but ultimately I try to use less - drives me nuts when people put bananas in a plastic throw away bag at the supermarket - why????!!!
So my next car will be electric, although I walk as much as possible, I also try to eat organic and have gone vegan. The more I read about veganism the more I think it is the key to sustainability. Vegans aren’t perfect but it would save a massive amount of resources if everyone went vegan. I did not realise until I joined Challenge22 just how much the meat and dairy industry consume. Veganism is growing quickly, particularly amongst younger people. Also people are buying less and are more aware of consumerism. Having said that, I’m not sure all the Amazon parcels are helping! Some countries are seeing negative population growth also. We can only do what we can do. I’m just planting some more hedges which benefit wildlife, water run off and soil erosion. I keep a wildlife friendly garden. No I am not perfect, I could do more, but I could also do a lot less. If everyone gradually improves on what they are doing the rate of global warming could be slowed. I think it is a natural cycle but humans have accelerated it hugely.

Marjgran Fri 19-Apr-19 10:41:44

Yes we should worry, maybe we need not to make ourselves sick with stress because that won’t help. The UK thinks it is cutting emissions but actually we are “exporting” them to other countries who make our goods for us. It is a bit inaccurate to blame China - look in your cupboards and much of what you have bought in the last decade will be made in China. And many goods from India. So we can boast about our clean factories whilst wearing clothes made in China, kept in cupboards made in China or Vietnam, using mugs made in China or Bangladesh, driving cars made in Korea.... eating avocados and strawberries flown from wherever. If you take into account the per capita emissions not just the country totals, we don’t look so smart. So worry for our grandchildren is a sane response, climate change will affect their lives, and our over consumption and over use of resources affect their health. Civil unrest will be the least of it!

silvercollie Fri 19-Apr-19 10:43:05

Those GN's who have said that this is largely a natural function are correct in my view. These changes on our Planet are subtle and of the 'man made' contribution, there are worse transgressors than little old GB.
I have to say that I cannot fathom what on earth all those Protestors think they can achieve. It's a bit like Canute trying to turn the tide!

Eglantine21 Fri 19-Apr-19 10:46:50

Ah well Camelot, by not having children and grandchildren you’ve done more to preserve the planet than most!

MiniMoon Fri 19-Apr-19 10:53:36

Would planting more trees help limit climate change? Reinstate the rainforests across the globe. Rainforests are the lungs of the world. They breathe in carbon dioxide and breathe out oxygen.
Look around your area at new housing developments, where are the trees?
The earth has always gone through phases of warming and cooling, how much we are contributing to the natural rhythms of the planet is still being processed, but I think we are aiding the acceleration of warming through our activities.

Urmstongran Fri 19-Apr-19 10:54:37

Hi Camelot nice to have you join us! Something here for everyone.

Urmstongran Fri 19-Apr-19 10:57:30

You could be right MiniMoon

They say the ubiquitous decking hasn’t helped our eco system either!

There are so many facets to all of this, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed.

janeainsworth Fri 19-Apr-19 11:05:56

eglantine Suppose the governments of the world got together and said, like China did, one child only. Would people support it?
China’s one-child policy was enforced in the most brutal ways and has now been abandoned, so let’s not go there.
The single most important way of reducing the birth rate and population is by educating girls.

Minimoon I agree trees are very important not only in counteracting CO2 emissions, and absorbing pollutants, but also in flood prevention.

Foxygran Fri 19-Apr-19 11:08:44

I agree with whitewave.

Personally, I think the Extinction Rebellion movement is fantastic and it isn’t solely for young people! I’ve thought of joining myself and support them on Facebook. They are raising the issue GLOBALLY and putting concern for the climate/species extinction on the News, on social media and in the papers. Many Politicians worldwide won’t do anything because they know they won’t win the popular vote and all that appears to really matter in this world is the accumulation of money and power. They certainly know that enforcing any sort of human birth control would be grossly unpopular.

I feel sorry for the people inconvenienced, but if the activists weren’t causing disruption, it wouldn’t make the news.

Theoddbird Fri 19-Apr-19 11:10:08

If people stopped flying it would help. Planes are the biggest cause of pollution to our air. This was proved, when after 9/11 every aircraft was grounded Co2 plummeted.

Eglantine21 Fri 19-Apr-19 11:13:10

Is was brutal I agree and I’m not advocating it.

Just making the point (I think) that nothing is actually going to solve the problem except bringing down the number of people using the worlds resources.

While the human population continues to grow everything else will have little effect.

But very few people would make the decision not to have a family in order to save the planet.